PDA

View Full Version : Google buys chip company

stewiesno1
22nd April 2010, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm again.
In what seems to be the fashion du jour for cashed up tech companies , Google has bought AgniLux.
Google snaps up chip company | News | TechRadar UK (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/google-snaps-up-chip-company-685203?src=rss&attr=newscomput)
The only reason I've stuck it in here is that this is the company that some of the guys started who jumped from PA Semi when Apple purchased it.
Now why would the Googler boys buy a chip company ??
More speculation to consider.

Stewie

BiRDBRAiN
23rd April 2010, 07:42 AM
I think this could be a move to help them develop an "appliance" of sorts to run their Chrome OS for something like Internets on TV.

stewiesno1
25th April 2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah my thinking exactly but of course all over the net are statements from Google execs who say " We are not interested in getting into hardware" or something similar.
Yeah, right.
And of course there are countless articles devoted to Apple vs Google and the ramifications for the tech industry as well.
Interesting times.

Stewie

marc
25th April 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure Google are very interested in getting into hardware. Why? Because you can't make good devices by simply supplying a generic OS. You want to do things properly, you have to build the hardware yourself.

doofus
25th April 2010, 01:46 PM
Google are deep in development of their own ipad style device using the Android OS.
Will be good competition for Apple to continue with ipad development. A chip company would fit in nicely with future hardware development.
NYT: Google Android Tablet Imminent | Gadget Lab | Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/nyt-google-android-tablet-imminent/)

stewiesno1
26th April 2010, 10:58 AM
Good article link Doofus.
As the article says , competition for Apple will be good for both the companies involved and also the consumer.
It'll be interesting to see the features of this when it debuts and also Apples reaction.
iPad vers 2.0 and Googles tablet Mark ll should be even better.
Even more interesting is what Microsoft make of all this.
Do they understand this concept or do they even care.
I think they may be left far behind in this platform and play catchup for a long time as in how they missed the boat on the internet.
I think that now that there are a couple of quite influential companies like Apple and Google that both do the software and now have their own chip companies will shake up the tech industy a fair bit.
Maybe not in the short term , but I can see this being pretty big long term.

Stewie

PrincessHayley_xo
26th April 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised Google haven't bought up any other industries in their continuing quest for world domination.

stewiesno1
1st May 2010, 04:57 PM
Well Princess H, since 2001 Google has bought 67 companies and some of them cost $3b plus !
List of acquisitions by Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google)
Between , AOL,YouTube and DoubleClick , that is nearly $5billion let alone all the rest of them !
Not small potatoes, that is for sure.

Stewie

PrincessHayley_xo
1st May 2010, 09:47 PM
Industies unrelated to the tech business, not companies :-P

...but it's only a matter of time before we see Google Foods™ or Google Medical Services™

anarchron
2nd May 2010, 11:33 PM
Actually Google does have a medical arm called Google Health. It's very cool stuff dealing with Personal Health Records (PHR).