PDA

View Full Version : Played with the new MBP today

xtreme2k
22nd April 2010, 09:17 PM
Went to Myer during lunch and had a play. Played with all the 13 15 17" models. For some reasons the 15/17 modem everything just seems so slow. I tried this on a number of machines but scrolling and the dock folder animation is just unsmooth - even compared to the 13".

I tried turning off the battery saving gfx mode but the improvement is not huge either. I thought its specific to one machine but it seems like all the 15/17 machine suffer the same issue??? Scolling within safari is also slow!!!

Am I missing something??

Apoptosis
22nd April 2010, 09:49 PM
If you 'turned off' the discreet GPU then you weren't playing with a new one.

xtreme2k
22nd April 2010, 09:52 PM
You cannot turn off

You can only force on.

Apoptosis
22nd April 2010, 10:02 PM
Went to Myer during lunch and had a play. Played with all the 13 15 17" models. For some reasons the 15/17 modem everything just seems so slow. I tried this on a number of machines but scrolling and the dock folder animation is just unsmooth - even compared to the 13".

I tried turning off the battery saving gfx mode but the improvement is not huge either. I thought its specific to one machine but it seems like all the 15/17 machine suffer the same issue??? Scolling within safari is also slow!!!

Am I missing something??

You cannot turn off

You can only force on.

You forced on the discreet GPU. Why did you expect any increase in run time?

xtreme2k
22nd April 2010, 10:06 PM
What are you talking about. I have not talked about run time. I am talking about performance all along.

with the new 15 /17 you can use the mode where it automatically switch between the H55m and the NV gfx. You can also lock the machine on NV gfx.

None of the above made much difference in the performance. Which prompts I must be missing something.

I can tell you this the h55m is not fast at all the animations are all very laggy

Apoptosis
22nd April 2010, 10:09 PM
Heh, so you are. Been a long day and been getting confused with the other MBP thread :/

My bad.

Given that 90% of the time all scrolling and normal OS animations are silky smooth even on older integrated GFX macs I'd say there was something funky going on with the one you fiddled with. I've noticed the display macs are loaded with as many apps as they can to show them off. Perhaps it'd been running for days with countless noobs fucking with it and it's just havign a fit. Don't spose you tried restarting it?

I have sitting on my lap one of the new 15" MBP's (2.4Ghz i5 model) and it's barely so much as stuttered once since I've had it. No slow downs, very speedy.

Battery life is balls though because the GPU switching is pretty buggy. Will find a link to back that up in a sec.

xtreme2k
22nd April 2010, 10:11 PM
I really have no idea

The 13" is actually running fine. But the 15/17 is laggy as hell with any scrolling and the dock. Really not sure what is happening.

Apoptosis
22nd April 2010, 10:19 PM
MacBook Pros with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M silicon making questionable graphics switching decisions -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/macbook-pros-with-nvidia-geforce-gt-330m-silicon-making-question/)

The performance you're describing is not typical. Not of my unit, nor of the multiple I played with in the Apple Store when looking to buy.