PDA

View Full Version : iPad 3G vs iPhone 4G?

Stez
21st April 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi guys, I've come to ask for some advice as to whether I should buy an iPhone or an iPad. I'd bought an iPad from eBay but then my order got cancelled, but now after this leaked 4G I'm really thinking about getting an iPhone. I've got a 2G iPod Touch, Macbook Pro 15'' and a shitty $200 phone. I really do like the iPad but the iPhone is in its 4th cycle now and I really think it is at a really good point with the really nice new body, speed, multitasking, front facing camera etc. The iPad though, it's nothing like anything I've owned before and looks really interesting to me, and now I'm torn between which one to buy :( If you want to ask some questions to give a better answer feel free but otherwise what are your recommendations?

Jinkst
21st April 2010, 05:51 PM
I hope to God the fourth gen iPhone doesn't look like what Gizmodo is saying is it. That thing looks like an LG Prada... Insides and workings, fine, but please let it have a different housing!

Back to the question at hand. I think it depends on what's more important to you. If you moreso want a web browsing, ebook reader then the iPad is for you. If those features take a backseat to portability and convenience then the iPhone is for you.

I've found myself using my iPhone less and less by the day apart from the phone/SMS apps as what I was mainly using it for is so much easier on the iPad. Having said that though I would give up my iPad before my iPhone...

It's a tough question to answer as in a way it depends on personal circumstances. I can afford both, so I have both and will get the new iPhone when it becomes available :-)

Stez
21st April 2010, 05:54 PM
The 4G design is obviously personal preference. Me, I like it. One of the main things though is the iPad is a 1st gen product and the iPad is a 4th gen product. On that note, when do you guys expect the iPads annual refresh month to be? iPods are September, iPhone in June/July, what about iPad?

EDIT: Just to add to this post, iPad delay in AUS kinda ruins the time I can have this thing as the latest product, which is what I really want. I was thinking maybe iPhone first then iPad 2nd gen, but only if that gets a refresh in September or later. Are iPhones available in AUS the day they are announced? If not, how close to announcement?

Sebastianmonty
21st April 2010, 06:42 PM
Well normally the iPhone is announced in June and release in July. In both cases, the 3G and 3GS, (not the 2G of course) Aus has received them first- only behind NZ due to 2 hours difference. Some stores do a midnight launch, others launch in the morning.

However this year it is guessed that they will be launched in June and announced at the WWDC- as usual.
That info that backs this up is apparently there is a block on annual leave from AT&T in June when you would expect it to be July.

Anyway that's the USA but I suspect it will be Australia also. Personally I would buy an iPad. Better and cheaper if bought outright. What it can't do is make calls but a Nokia can do that- and normally better than an iPhone.

I will buy the 3G version of the iPad from the US when it's released. I will then use that until the new iPhone is released. If the iPhone is sooo much better I will get it but otherwise I won't.

I find that the iPhone(mine is 3G) is good but.... It's too small for games like NBA, and too slow, and calls obviously cut out the game as you would expect.

iPad, iPad, iPad. That's the future. Buy one and if you don't like it sell it. You will lose like $50 which is nothing.

Alec Fraser
21st April 2010, 06:45 PM
They serve two different purposes. Do you need a phone or do you need a tablet? That's what it boils down to. You don't need to own every single thing they make.

Rust
21st April 2010, 06:49 PM
Make a list of what you do in your computing lifestyle and weigh up which of the two devices will fill the gap more...I'd personally start with the phone because it's an iPod and a Mobile so you combine two awesome devices. It's more practical and will serve you well. Next comes the iPad which is more of a multimedia device. See if you need it after you've had the iPhone for a few months :)

Stez
21st April 2010, 06:51 PM
They serve two different purposes. Do you need a phone or do you need a tablet? That's what it boils down to. You don't need to own every single thing they make.

Judging from your other posts, your having a little rage time. I'm an Apple fanboy, I like to buy as many of they're products as possible thank you very much. I don't need a tablet or a phone, I have a gap for both of those things that need to be filled. So which one to get first is what I'm asking.

TheKeddi
21st April 2010, 06:54 PM
They are completely different gadgets.

The iPad isn't a phone and the Phone isn't a tablet computer.

Decide if you need a phone or a tablet, or save up and get both! lol

Jinkst
21st April 2010, 06:57 PM
The 4G design is obviously personal preference. Me, I like it. One of the main things though is the iPad is a 1st gen product and the iPad is a 4th gen product. On that note, when do you guys expect the iPads annual refresh month to be? iPods are September, iPhone in June/July, what about iPad?

EDIT: Just to add to this post, iPad delay in AUS kinda ruins the time I can have this thing as the latest product, which is what I really want. I was thinking maybe iPhone first then iPad 2nd gen, but only if that gets a refresh in September or later. Are iPhones available in AUS the day they are announced? If not, how close to announcement?

I think they'll do it at the same time as the first release. They clearly want to establish it as a new product rather than a giant iPod touch and refreshing it with the iPod each year just adds to the links.

Alec Fraser
21st April 2010, 07:03 PM
Judging from your other posts, your having a little rage time. I'm an Apple fanboy, I like to buy as many of they're products as possible thank you very much. I don't need a tablet or a phone, I have a gap for both of those things that need to be filled. So which one to get first is what I'm asking.

Well if you're going to buy as many of their products as possible anyway, buy me a 64gig 3G while you're at it!

The Fluffy Duck
21st April 2010, 09:15 PM
Go the phone man. You really need an iphone :)

sillydog701
21st April 2010, 09:53 PM
Perhaps you can try to get both at the same time, that way, you don't need to worry about which one to get first.

stevensr123
21st April 2010, 10:17 PM
Is the back of the new iphone made of glass? if so that will put me off buying it bigtime.

Rust
21st April 2010, 10:20 PM
Your guess is as good as ours :)

Stez
21st April 2010, 10:23 PM
Perhaps you can try to get both at the same time, that way, you don't need to worry about which one to get first.

Nah I've got $1000 to spend on one of these things. I don't really have an income (I'm 14)

sillydog701
21st April 2010, 10:32 PM
Then, allow me to revise my recommendation:
Save up, and wait until both are released. You might then be able to buy both at the same time.

Chief911
21st April 2010, 11:09 PM
Is the back of the new iphone made of glass? if so that will put me off buying it bigtime.

All we are all hearing is its a ceramic back, probably an alloy, which means its alot stronger than glass, no way will it be in anyway worse than current strength of the plastic back...

this is apple not Acer!

nando
22nd April 2010, 05:51 AM
i'll say phone....
is more portable.... so instead of iPad 3G go with ipad wifi...
iPad is more a home device..IMHO
where as the phone yes u need it everywhere..

Jinkst
22nd April 2010, 06:58 AM
Nah I've got $1000 to spend on one of these things. I don't really have an income (I'm 14)

You're 14? Neither then. Buy a bike and get some fresh air :-)

I wish I was pondering whether to buy an iPhone or an iPad when I was 14. How the world has changed over the past decade lol.

time4magik
22nd April 2010, 07:36 AM
iphones are amazing!!!!!! ipads are very nice also, but your iphone you can show off everywhere!

Alec Fraser
22nd April 2010, 09:37 AM

That explains so much.

Balthazar
22nd April 2010, 11:13 AM
You're 14? Neither then. Buy a bike and get some fresh air :-)

Amen,

14!!!

Buddy you certain are suffering from a real first world problem there.

When i was 14 i was lucky to even have an Atari 2600 let alone the latest bleeding edge console/compuer/device (I think that was the Playstation or SNES in 94/95)

Invest that $1000 in shares... you'll thank me for it when you're 30.

~Coxy
22nd April 2010, 04:18 PM
Really, $1K in shares?
That kinda thinking made me a sweet -$500 from Telstra shares over the last 15 years! :D

Stez
22nd April 2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah well, I'm an Apple nerd and I've been saving up for like 2 years so if we could stop all the age comments please :p

gehenna
22nd April 2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah well, I'm an Apple nerd and I've been saving up for like 2 years so if we could stop all the age comments please :p

Fair comment!

timothy
22nd April 2010, 05:10 PM
The iPad is big. The iPhone is small.
Get the big one for browsing etc.

sillydog701
22nd April 2010, 08:56 PM

Okay then,
between iPad 3G and iPhone 4G, most likely you won't be able to get either on the date of release, based on the evilness of mobile carriers we learnt from iPhone 3G launching two years back. (Which means, in my opinion, no service providers would offer pre-paid stock on the releasing date of either product. Most likely, they would say they have them, but don't have stocks for quite a few weeks.) Unless you can convince your parents to sign up a contract for you.

Stez
22nd April 2010, 10:02 PM
Okay then,
between iPad 3G and iPhone 4G, most likely you won't be able to get either on the date of release, based on the evilness of mobile carriers we learnt from iPhone 3G launching two years back. (Which means, in my opinion, no service providers would offer pre-paid stock on the releasing date of either product. Most likely, they would say they have them, but don't have stocks for quite a few weeks.) Unless you can convince your parents to sign up a contract for you.

Well if the post-paid does turn out to be good value for money over buying the iPad from Apple then it is a no-brainer and my parents will be fine with it. But post-paid plans and all the shenanigans that come with it sometimes turn out to be a pretty big pain.

Jinkst
23rd April 2010, 07:56 AM
If you want the 4th gen iPhone, why not get your parents to work out a contract for you with a telco and put the $1000 on the bill instead of buying one outright. I can't imagine needing to go on a $100+ plan this time around to get the handset fully subsidized so you should get at least ten months worth of contract spend with that grand you have. Providing you don't go over any caps of course.

Just an idea.... And being that I worked for Voda for two years I know firsthand that prepaid never has the same value as being on account.

Balthazar
23rd April 2010, 08:38 AM
Really, $1K in shares?
That kinda thinking made me a sweet -$500 from Telstra shares over the last 15 years! :D

Telstra is one hell of a bad example, imagine if you invested in Apple 15 years ago: $8-9 per share, Today: $266.

your $1000 now worth approx $31,000.

My apologies mate, you have done well to save the money in 2 years.

(When i was 12 i was paid $2 a day on my paper run 2 times a week.)

mitty
23rd April 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm starting to think that I won't be bothering with an Iphone 4G... reason, well I'd prefer the ipad. Already have a 32GB 3GS which does me very nicely, and once I get the ipad I think I can hold off on the new Iphone for a while, possibly even til the next iteration which is when my current contract runs out in June 2011.

gikku
23rd April 2010, 08:55 PM
the iPad 3G spec says;

Wi-Fi + 3G model
* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

so no UMTS/HSDPA 900MHz goodness for Vodafone/Optus.
suggests to me the iPhone 4 will also miss 900MHz. Epic win for Telstra.

Here's hoping rumours of VHA 850mhz are true and rollout, even if limited to Syd/Melb, happens shortly.

black painter
24th April 2010, 07:31 AM
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

vodafone and most other carriers run on GSM network at 900 MHz network the ipad is running a chip that supports this.

limpboy
24th April 2010, 09:02 AM

vodafone and most other carriers run on GSM network at 900 MHz network the ipad is running a chip that supports this.

That is true but the iPhone does not support 3G at that frequency. On the 900 MHz network the iPhone only supports GPRS/EDGE which is much slower than 3G speeds. It is like dial-up speeds.

tcn33
24th April 2010, 09:10 AM

That's 2G. The iPad does not support 900MHz UMTS 3G, just like the iPhone.