PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro won't boot

djaneab
21st April 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi there

I have a late 2007 15" MacBook Pro. When I turn it on the DVD turns, the light comes on but nothing else. I have searched forums etc and so I have tried resetting SMC, PRAM and all that, as well as RAM in and out etc.

It is not under AppleCare but more than happy to pay for it to be fixed if possible - however, the Sydney store does not have any appointments at all on their website, and the Chatswood store has a few appointments next Wednesday.

I've booked in one of those but was wondering whether it would be just as good to take it locally - I just have no idea where to take it as I usually buy online straight from Apple, but this particular purchase I made on the other side of Sydney.

Any ideas? I live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

D

gehenna
21st April 2010, 04:55 PM
So you're saying nothing appears on the display when you turn it on? Is there a disc in the drive?

djaneab
21st April 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi there

No, nothing on the screen and no disk in the drive. Just the sound of the drive looking for a disc, the front light comes on, then nothing.

D

thats awesome
21st April 2010, 06:55 PM
Is the hard drive making those noises? Could be a dead hard drive...

djaneab
21st April 2010, 06:57 PM
No, pretty sure not hard drive. Seems much more like it just doesn't wake up. As if it went to sleep and even turning it off and back on doesn't wake it up.

I'll just look in the phone book for a Mac Service Centre, I think.

D

softwareonly
21st April 2010, 06:59 PM
I have been very happy with the service department at Maccentric in Chatswood (http://www.maccentric.com.au/home/contact/)

Granny Smith
21st April 2010, 07:24 PM
I have been very happy with the service department at Maccentric in Chatswood (http://www.maccentric.com.au/home/contact/)

MacMedic in Mosman is good too. And there's a MacCentric at Warringah Mall, which may be closer still to where you live.

adamd
21st April 2010, 08:21 PM
Take your RAM chips out, and try one at a time. Could be a faulty chip (or perhaps something inside) if the machine isn't chiming. Most of the time it's the RAM though.

gehenna
21st April 2010, 08:22 PM
Take your RAM chips out, and try one at a time. Could be a faulty chip (or perhaps something inside) if the machine isn't chiming. Most of the time it's the RAM though.

OP states that's been done already.

djaneab
21st April 2010, 09:21 PM
Yes, I did do the RAM chip thing one at a time already. There's very little I haven't done that can be done at home with a Philips head.

Thanks for you suggestions. Looks like either Mall Maccentric or MacMedic.

D

adamd
22nd April 2010, 12:14 AM
OP states that's been done already.

Whoops... Serves me right for skimreading :o

djaneab
27th April 2010, 12:58 PM
OK - I took the MBP into MacMedic as recommended and they were very good - news is bad - logic board will cost over $2000.

So looks like better to buy new machine - will probable get one of the new MBP 13".

Thanks for all help

Deb

Balthazar
27th April 2010, 04:18 PM
What are you planning to do with the dead MBP?

djaneab
27th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Haven't thought much about it but I guess it would be great for someone who had smashed their screen. I ordered a new MBP today. Once data is over from old one I guess I could try to sell it on ebay or something similar.

Deb

dev_enter
27th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Deb,
Did they tell you what the problem was exactly?
If you boot the machine in Target Disk Mode (hold T while starting up) and connect it to another Mac with a FireWire cable, can you see all your data?
This particular model was notorious for having the problem covered by this extension program: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377)
If that's the problem you're having, you may be able to get this repaired for free.

You should try contacting Apple's support directly on 1-300-321-456 or by booking yourself in to see a genius at your nearest Apple store (i.e. not a reseller).

djaneab
28th April 2010, 06:50 PM
Deb,
Did they tell you what the problem was exactly?

You should try contacting Apple's support directly on 1-300-321-456 or by booking yourself in to see a genius at your nearest Apple store (i.e. not a reseller).

Thanks very much for you interest.

They said it was the logic board, which pretty much squares with the symptoms I was having and all the posts on different forums that I read. There has never been even the slightest hitch with the graphics, and none of the symptoms on the page you linked to.

Funny thing was that after four days of not being able to start it, trying all the recommended solutions it actually booted when I got it to the shop. Worked perfectly for that window of time, which enabled me to get off that days work onto a thumb drive.

Thanks again!

Deb

dev_enter
28th April 2010, 07:03 PM
Deb,

Are you sure? "No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on" sounds pretty much like what you described. Give Apple a call anyway. Can't hurt. ;)

djaneab
28th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Deb,

Are you sure? "No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on" sounds pretty much like what you described. Give Apple a call anyway. Can't hurt. ;)

I guess it can't hurt. Thing is, I'm sure it's not booting. Just the first power burst, light comes on, nothing. Also, no power from USB ports, keyboard lights (caps lock) inactive, CD tray won't slide out.

But, you never know ... I'll definitely speak to the shop anyway. I originally tried to book at Genius Bar but there were no bookings available to be made. That's why I went to a shop.

Deb

djaneab
4th May 2010, 05:00 PM
Shop confirmed the problem was the Logic Board.

I've already taken delivery of a new 13" MBP - ordered last Thursday, arrived yesterday (Monday).

Currently using old 15" MBP as paperweight - amazing when I think that it retailed for $4,500 a few years ago and new MBP is less than $1500. Couldn't get 13" screens back then.

Deb