PDA

View Full Version : Opening Ms Word/excel Docs On A Mac?

Dazz
1st September 2005, 02:36 PM
I'm basically a PC user, and know very little about Mac's, and I'm looking at buying a new Mac Mini.

However I know nothing about Mac software and it's compatibility with MS Word, Excel etc.

So, with the software that comes with the Mini .......................

* - Safari 2
* - Mail 2
* - Address Book 4
* - iChat AV 3
* - iCal 2
* - Font Book 2
* - DVD Player 4.5
* - Preview 3
* - Xcode 2

* - iLife 05
* - iWork 05 30-day trial
* - AppleWorks
* - Nanosaur 2
* - Marble Blast Gold
* - Apple Hardware Test

Is there anything here which performs a similar task to Word and Excel, or that will open those files.

I see you can by a version of Office for the Mac, but like everything it looks rather expensive.

Sorry for a probably totally dumb typical no idea pc user question but you guys seem to have the answers for these things!

macmate
1st September 2005, 02:38 PM
firstly, the mac version of office is not more expensive than the pc version.

Appleworks will open most word documents if there isn't too much formating and its also a decent word processor.

Paxton
1st September 2005, 02:39 PM
Either Text Edit or Pages will open a standard word document, however there is no way I know of of getting an Excel spreadsheet to go without excel.

-Andrew

Wally
1st September 2005, 02:44 PM
Also it comes with Virtual PC.

emacmark
1st September 2005, 02:50 PM
Its been 4 years since I bought MS Office and then it was $279 for the academic if I remember right. I just bought Office for mac EDU for $249 and it comes with 3 license codes!!! That is good value.

morpheme2004
1st September 2005, 02:55 PM
NeoOffice will open all of our normal Office docs. And it's FREE!!

http://www.neooffice.org/

Steve

DJY
1st September 2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by wally4000@Sep 1 2005, 02:44 PM
Also it comes with Virtual PC.
uh?

You sure? I know a couple of people that have these cool little machines... and they didn't get Virtual PC... had a quick look at the Tech Specs and the Software pages on the Apple site - and also couldn't see a mention there of Virtual PC.

Office for Mac (educ) version doesn't come with Virtual PC, but some other versions do - I gather that is what you were referring to?

suryo
1st September 2005, 09:59 PM
You don't get Office when you buy a Windows machine either. In fact you don't really get any decent software at all. You will need to buy Office the same as you would for a Windows machine, or get NeoOffice or OpenOffice for free as suggested above.

p53
1st September 2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by morpheme2004@Sep 1 2005, 02:55 PM
NeoOffice will open all of our normal Office docs. And it's FREE!!

http://www.neooffice.org/

Steve
NeoOffice is great! Never had any formatting problems with it opening Microsoft Office files (I've only tried Word and PowerPoint files).
Give it a try. There's also OpenOffice which NeoOffice is based on.
p53

Jaxxy
6th September 2005, 10:06 PM
Hi

I just bought an G3 ibook with max osx 10.1. NeoOffice requires 10.2 or later...am I eligible for an upgrade to 10.2 (software updater only offers 10.1.4 as an update) or is there another Word Processing program that can run on 10.1?

- Jason

the_OM
7th September 2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Jaxxy@Sep 6 2005, 10:06 PM
Hi

I just bought an G3 ibook with max osx 10.1. NeoOffice requires 10.2 or later...am I eligible for an upgrade to 10.2 (software updater only offers 10.1.4 as an update) or is there another Word Processing program that can run on 10.1?

- Jason
it's a paid upgrade.
Although, because 10.2 was released a few years ago and we're now at 10.4, you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere that has 10.2 for sale. If I were you I'd try ebay or something for it.

But consider upgrading, it's generally noted that OS X became usable when 10.2 was released, and the upgrades since have been remarkable. If I was you, I'd definitely look at upgrading to 10.4, nobody should have to use 10.1