PDA

View Full Version : Soniq 106cm Plasma

SRG
1st September 2005, 01:57 PM
Noticed in the paper today that JB Hi-Fi have the above Plasma going at a great price.

Popped into the Melbourne store and it looked quite good.

However haven't heard of the brand before and was wondering if anyone else had?

Cheers
Shaun

Edit: Have looked for their website and any reviews on Google but no luck.

purana
1st September 2005, 02:02 PM
Plasma technology is dropping in price by hundreds a week and has been for a few months now.

Plasma is so out now, since all the tests carried out showed various flaws in how the picture quality goes over time. Infact look at the manufacturers websites for some of the leading brands and look at the running time for the screens. I believe they fade quite a bit.

LCD is the next big thing, and basically the large LCD screens are now at the prices to which Plasma screens where when they first come out.

Sure enough as time goes on, the LCD ones will get cheaper. For now we have to wait, as they still need to get larger and cheaper.

I am in the market for a big tv, or atleast will be once renevations take place, until then I am waiting. I am planning on a big LCD panel, and lets hope by the time I want to buy they start shipping with internal tuners of SD or HD quality. As I dont want a box to do the tuning and only have an analog tuner in such an expensive tv screen.

Dick Smith I noticed the other week was selling a similar size Plasma screen for similar cost. Unknown brand. Its certain a good price. But hey whatever floats your boat right :)

Tejas
1st September 2005, 03:29 PM
they might be the same ones they are selling at dimmys and forges for the same price - i'm not sure

SRG
1st September 2005, 03:39 PM
Edit Seems Tajas was right Dimmys and Forges were selling a Plasma around this price (different brand).

After a big more digging turns out it is a rebadged Samsung and the TUner is a Samsung (you can actually see the name it when you look into the back).

Takes all the normal inputs plus DVI etc (in fact more inputs than the $3,998 Samsung).

Thinking I may (need to get Head of Household Credit to sign off) just get it.

richbowen
1st September 2005, 06:07 PM
Digital Broadcasting Australia have some forums that discuss all this technology:

http://www.dtvforum.info/

I think you will find as many TV experts on that forum as you'll find Mac experts on this forum!

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=22960&hl=soniq

It looks like they may even be discussing this exact TV.

SRG
1st September 2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that will give it a go (seems that discussion is more about the LCD version).

I am sure though someone there will know something about it.

koala
10th September 2005, 08:31 PM
soniq = LG = Goldstar

total of equation = rubbish, or maybe you get what you pay for is the best answer

mac_man_luke
10th September 2005, 09:01 PM
LCD is the next technology, apparently the brand new WEGA LCD rear projection tvs are amazing, as good as a plasma without the problems... for now until LCD is cheap enough

Comet
10th September 2005, 10:09 PM
Being in Japan where there is a fierce battle between LCD (Sharp) and Plasma (Panasonic), both technologies are awesome. One thing I can say about LCD panels are that if you enjoy watching sports, then don't get one unless it's a Sharp Aquos screen. You will definitely get ghosting. Plasma on the other hand has gotten heaps better, at least with the panels produced in Japan.

Rear projection made by Seiko Epson or Sony is really good. Was amazed when I saw one the other day. Didn't think there was life in these things, but I was proven wrong.

The next new TV technology is the Surface Condition Electronic Emission Display, AKA SED which was developed by Canon. It's basically a CRT made small with lots of nifty technological advancements. Canon hasn't released any pricing details, but that's the next technology.

So, if you're going to invest in something like a plasma screen, then I'd wait a bit more for newer technolgies to arrive.

marc
11th September 2005, 12:01 AM
SED looks great.

My dream (for now) is still to use an Apple 30" for a TV.