PDA

View Full Version : F*&K - Mac crashed while running Boot Camp partition option.....

GeoffP
20th April 2010, 11:39 AM
shit shit shit,

I was running the boot camp partition option and my mac crashed.

I got the slow screen repaint followed by the your mac has crashed message, push the power button until it shuts down, etc, etc.

I did have 127GB free which I had allocated 32GB to a new windows partition.

It was half way thru the partition progress bar when the mac crashed.

When I restarted boot camp partition option, I now half 32GB less than before, however I do not have the option to delete the half created partition, only create a new partition so I have lost 32GB!!

help............

D_W_Y
20th April 2010, 12:09 PM
format entire drive

gehenna
20th April 2010, 12:15 PM
Try a defrag first to see if you can reclaim the space, if not try to repartition using a 3rd party. Examples of both tools can be found at Coriolis Systems (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php)(iDefrag, iPartition).

mmulhern
20th April 2010, 12:22 PM
I assume you were going to install windows, does the BC partition appear in the startup disk options? If it does, try putting in your windows install CD/DVD and select the BC partition for startup, and boot, and then install windows.

If this goes pear shaped, you can always reboot, hold down the "Option" key, and select your Mac's boot partition.

If you do want to get rid of the 32GB partition, you should be able to do this dynamically (not nuke your entire HDD), by booting off another disk/drive (10.5/10.6), and from that volume, start "Disk Utility" and delete the 32GB partition, and dynamically add the freespace back to your main partition. (Your OSX installation disk should be OK for this - "Disk Utility" is in the Tools Menu.)

NOTE: when playing with your partitions (even dynamically) it is a good idea to have a full backup done first (CarbonCopyCloner or Super Dooper are your friends)

GeoffP
20th April 2010, 12:27 PM
I do have a super dooper backup - just not super recent.

I am going to do a backup now to super dooper, then try the disk utility option in my boot dvd

dacoda
20th April 2010, 03:34 PM
format entire drive

Wait a minute.....that sounds like something a PC guy would say....

*evil glare*

As suggested by mmulhern, I think your best bet is putting in your mac restore / OSX Installation DVD, and choose Disk Utility from the menu. The same thing happened to my brother a few years ago, I'll see him tonight and ask him how he fixed it and post what he said here.

Balthazar
20th April 2010, 03:51 PM
It has happened to me multiple times.

All you need to do is what everyone above is saying, boot up your super duper backup or your restore DVD in Disk Utility and repair/verify your disk if you see one partion, or delete the 32GB partion if there is 2.

BACKUP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

GeoffP
20th April 2010, 07:18 PM
hahaha - all back to normal.

Sorry about the earlier freak out - had a bit of a brain snap.

All I ended up doing was:
1. Run another update with Super Duper.
2. Booted of the OS X DVD.
3. Ran Disk Utility - unfortunately it didn't show the missing 32gb, so I reformatted the drive.
4. Booted to my Super Duper drive and restored back to MBP drive.

Bonus was I gained about 6GB extra free space due to the drive now having being effectively defragged as well..