PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life and AppleCare

elnewb
20th April 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm starting to notice a significant loss of battery life on my Late '08 MacBook Pro 15". I think this is probably due to me leaving it mostly plugged into the wall and not cycling the battery as often as I should. I was wondering if Apple would replace the battery under Applecare because of poor battery life? Or would they claim that this is "normal"?

Further info:

Original Battery life: 4-5 hours
Current Battery life: 2 hours

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: 6N852068913EB
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4544
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4700
Health Information:
Cycle count: 92
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1861
Voltage (mV): 12099

gehenna
20th April 2010, 11:08 AM
Doesn't appear to have degraded enough nor had enough cycles for them to consider replacing it. I'd definitely give it a couple of proper charging cycles (there's a few posts on here on the best way to go about it, a search should turn them up) and then monitor things. If you're still having problems you might have grounds for a faulty battery and it may just be reporting incorrectly. That said, Apple will just tell you to reset the PRAM and SMC first, and then get you to cycle it as I've suggested, before they do a replacement so best to get it out of the way before approaching them.

Jivesucka
20th April 2010, 01:05 PM
Apple doesn't like to replace batteries once your Mac is a year old, regardless of AppleCare, since batteries are considered a consumable. Still worth a look though.
If you take it to a service centre they can run a quick battery diagnostic which will give some more detailed info on whether your battery is considered defective or just consumed under Apple's testing guidelines.
If it does end up needing a replacement but Apple won't cover it, you'd be surprised how much a call to Apple from you can help the cause. Service guys will try to get you covered under warranty, but Apple is more concerned with keeping it's customers happy than it's techs, as you'd expect.
Good luck with it.

gehenna
20th April 2010, 01:07 PM
Apple doesn't like to replace batteries once your Mac is a year old, regardless of AppleCare, since batteries are considered a consumable.

Not strictly true. Had a MacBook 2.0 (white) battery fail in year three of AppleCare and it was replaced no questions asked. Soon after the power brick died too and was also replaced under warranty. I guess it's as much discretionary as anything else but if you plead your case you should get the help you need. Especially since you're so early into your ownership.

elnewb
20th April 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll cycle it a few times and see what happens. If that fails try the pram and smc. Then off to Apple if that doesn't work. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

nazrath
5th May 2010, 01:40 AM
I get the "service battery" warning. Thing is its intermittent and sometimes when I plug the charger in, the sign disappears. Is my battery faulty?

Jaste
5th May 2010, 08:02 AM
Apple doesn't like to replace batteries once your Mac is a year old, regardless of AppleCare, since batteries are considered a consumable.

This is not my experience. Apple have replaced 2 batteries for me on my late 07 MacBook Pro under Applecare. I had to read them the charge and cycles both times and they said that they were to be replaced. I have no idea what the cutoff values for replacement are though.