PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup multiple boot camp partitions?

GeoffP
20th April 2010, 06:29 AM
Running 10.6.3 on 15" MBP.

I currently have a Windows XP Boot Camp partition (need it for work).

I need to setup a second Windows 7 Boot Camp partition (need it for testing for work, but still need the Windows XP partition until testing is completed, then I can delete the XP partition).

Boot Camp assistant will not allow me to create a second partition.

A quick google didn't help - is it possible to do this?

glacierdave
20th April 2010, 07:54 AM
I haven't really played around with this scenario but I'd think the bootloader will only let you have the one bootcamp partition. However, you could then go and dual-boot your bootcamp (XP and Win7). There's almost certain to be plenty of how-to's out there on the interwebs about how to dual boot xp and win7 with either XP or Win7 as the first installed operating system.

Brains
20th April 2010, 10:04 AM
What's wrong with keeping the Windows inside a virtual machine?

Anyway. One idea (again, this is theory only, never tried it myself) is that you could create a single large Boot Camp partition with the Assistant, then duck over to Disk Utility and delete the freshly-made Boot Camp partition and create two 'MSDOS' partitions in its place. You can then follow the various Win7-plus-XP dualboot tutes on the web to put XP on one, Win7 on the other.

dacoda
20th April 2010, 10:23 AM
It's true that Boot Camp will only allow one partition. I wouldn't recommend Brains suggestion, as wiping the partition and creating two partitions in its place will mean the two partitons won't be bootable drives.

As for glacierdave's suggestion, I have my doubts that that would work but it may be possible. You could try it, or you could buy VMWare Fusion. Windows XP runs remarkably well. Windows 7 a bit sluggish, especially with any other mac apps open. At least that's my experience with a MPB with 4 gig of ram.

The other thing you could do (it may seem like a waste of money, but it would work) is buy VMWare Fusion (or even a trial..??!??!?), then transfer the XP partition onto VMware Fusion. There's a wizard that will do that for you, you just select the partiton and grab a coffee. Then when it's finished, put Windows 7 on the partition. When you're ready to get rid of XP, just remove via VMWare.

If you got the trial you might be able to get everything sorted before the trial expires.

mac_man_luke
20th April 2010, 10:27 AM
Create boot camp partition then when installing the first OS delete the bootcamp partition and make 2 new ones

This will work

I dropped a drive from a PC into my mac pro and even that was still working from a boot camp perspective (hardware change caused XP to not be 100% but still booted) - that was with my existing boot camp partition remaining.

mab
20th April 2010, 10:28 AM
rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) allows you to install multiple operating systems

GeoffP
20th April 2010, 10:44 AM
The other thing you could do (it may seem like a waste of money, but it would work) is buy VMWare Fusion (or even a trial..??!??!?), then transfer the XP partition onto VMware Fusion. There's a wizard that will do that for you, you just select the partiton and grab a coffee. Then when it's finished, put Windows 7 on the partition. When you're ready to get rid of XP, just remove via VMWare.

If you got the trial you might be able to get everything sorted before the trial expires.

Thanks for everyone's input. :)

I actually have a fully licensed version of VMWare Fusion already installed.

I was using it to boot my XP Boot Camp partition directly in OS x as the need arose.

I have just started the import option which will create a copy of the XP Boot Camp Partition - thanks for the heads up on this feature dacoda. I didn't know it was there :P

Once I have tested XP via VMWare I will delete the XP Boot Camp partition and then create the Windows 7 Boot Camp partition.