PDA

View Full Version : Massive issues after the recent security update

jodihansen
20th April 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm having to use my EeePC at the moment since my 15" Macbook Pro (Jan 2008) is completely unusable after allowing the automatic update yesterday.
I left the update to install & when I returned my Macbook Pro was on but had no life in the screen. I have tried restarting numerous times. I have also removed the battery to hold down the on button & also reset it while holding alt-option-p-r and waiting for the second restarting sound.
The keyboard still lights up but there is no life in the screen.

If I press enter then I hear a beep.
I can insert and eject disks.
I tried inserting the Snow Leopard disk and restarting but I could not see the screen still so I do not know how far it got or if it was going to work.

I have run out of time tonight, but I am considering connecting an external monitor tomorrow night to try that (I don't usually use one though so I don't know if it will work instantly or if I would have to see the screen to set it up. I suspect that it would just work, after-all it is a Mac, right).

Does anyone know of others having the same issue with the recent update or have any other suggestions that I could try?

I am out of warranty, but feel that Apple should help me since it seems to have been their update that broke my machine. What are my chances?

Thanks,
Jodi

gehenna
20th April 2010, 01:51 AM
You've done a PRAM reset but have you tried an SMC Reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964) at all?

glitch
20th April 2010, 08:19 AM
The major issues with Snow Leo and updates are well documented on the Apple Support Discussion pages, 10.6.3 upgrade and the security upgrade have both caused massive problems for tens of thousands of users, so far as usual Apple are silent on the issue.

I had it with my 24" iMac and it took ages to fix, i tried every trick in the book and in the end i had to erase the HD to zeroes and then do a fresh install of 10.6 and applying all the updates again.

I cant remember how i finally got into my system, just kept trying to boot with the option key held i think, then booted into the Disc.

I tried restores from backups, applying the update while in target mode connected to another computer and anything else I could think of!

Good luck!

Devil
20th April 2010, 09:33 AM
Sounds like the issue with the graphics chip that these models have and nothing to do with the software update. Proof of this is the fact that you get no screen even when booting from an install disk.

You need to get it to a technician. Call AppleCare on 1300 321 456 for advice

gehenna
20th April 2010, 09:34 AM
Sounds like the issue with the graphics chip that these models have and nothing to do with the software update. Proof of this is the fact that you get no screen even when booting from an install disk.

You need to get it to a technician. Call AppleCare on 1300 321 456 for advice

Hence an SMC Reset would be prudent in the first instance.

jodihansen
20th April 2010, 11:11 AM
Thank you for the responses. Yes, I have tried the SMC reset (more than once).
I am still out of luck. I have now also tried an external monitor and that doesn't work either.
I do hear the internal fan start up after a minute or two....and disks eject....but that's it.
It does point to being something wrong with the graphics chip as suggested, but I wonder if there was anything in the update that could have affected that? Another thought is....could it be the harddrive? Or would I still see the screen if that was the issue?

I think that I will call the AppleCare number and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.
Jodi

gehenna
20th April 2010, 11:15 AM
The update likely had updated graphics drivers that may have caused some compatibility failure. Unfortunately without being able to see what's on the display you can't uninstall the update. That said, if that were the whole problem you'd still be able to see the screen before the OS loads, so there's likely some hardware fault compounding the situation too.

jodihansen
20th April 2010, 01:55 PM
I have ended up calling my home insurance company to see if it's covered. They told me to take it into an authorised repair shop and get a quote. They can then determine if it's covered or not.
So, this is what I have done. I have a Comp Now store locally, I'd have to take at least half a day off work to get to an Apple store in Melbourne. They said that the quote should take a few days.....so hopefully I should have a prognosis by the end of the week.
This is not good....I use my computer to work from home in the evenings....now I am going to have to use the Eee PC to remote desktop to work....if I plug in a monitor it might be ok....I just don't want to program on that small screen.

jodihansen
23rd April 2010, 10:34 AM
I got a phone call to say that the logic board was faulty and that Apple are going to cover the repair costs. I don't know if it was the update that caused it or not, all I know is that the computer stopped working when I installed the update.

Anyway, I am pleased that Apple are helping out here. I thought that it was likely that I'd have to pay for repairs or buy a new laptop, instead of being able to buy an iPad. It's still in the repair shop (in Melbourne) and looks like I will get it Tuesday next week. I am very relieved, I was hoping to get another year (or maybe even two years) out of it before upgrading.

This is good service by Apple, I am very pleased. :)