PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy old parts for a Powerbook G3

LombardOwner
19th April 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi,

I'm a new user and would appreciate help on where to pick up an old hard drive that is compatible with the G3 Powerbook Lombard.

I bought a fujitsu 40GB IDE drive from ebay but it won't recognise it. I was assured the drive was working fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Byrd
20th April 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi, welcome :)

There is no reason why the 40GB hard disk wouldn't work - I think I've a Fujitsu 40GB drive in my Powerbook Pismo, which is fine (and many iBooks use Fujitsu drives too). What are the symptoms of it not working - is it detected, does it spin up, etc?

And answering your question - try the HD in another computer if you can, and hopefully get a replacement. eBay, local second-hand PC store, etc. If in Melbourne, Applebits are good for second hand parts (but be prepared to pay through the nose!).

JB

LombardOwner
20th April 2010, 10:05 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When I put the hard drive into the Powerbook I can feel it spin up.

I put the OS 9.2 install disc into the CDROM and when I go to Apple>Control Panels>Startup disk, the hard drive isn't present.

I have tried the drive in an external enclosure and it works. I think I read on google that Powerbooks are sensitive to different models of hard drive and some aren't compatible.

I am trying to ressurect this Power Book to hopefully write my novel, as it's the one Carrie uses in Sex and the City.

I don't mind paying extra as long as I find a hard drive that works, and it also doesn't matter if it is only 10GB or so...as I don't need a lot of space to do word processing.

Anyway, thank you for your advice, I will try to locate another old drive to test it, maybe it's the Powerbook and not the hard drive - hope not =(

Cheers