PDA

View Full Version : How To Replace Old Main Drive With Larger Drive

drivesafe
31st August 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi folks, this is a bit of a long story but it leads to a number of problems/questions.

I have a G4 Dual Tower. It has never worked properly from day one, some 3 years now.

Iím running a number of programs on it and have a number of additional hard drives both internal and external.

Over a period of time I have placed heaps on the main 80g drive.

I recently went to load GarageBand Jam Pack 4 but was told I did not have enough and as this has to be loaded on the main drive, I removed as much as I could and then loaded the Jam Pack.

As I was now left with only 3g and I had a spear 160g hard drive on hand, I temporarily removed one of the other internal drives, installed the 160g and did a reinstall on this new drive.

I then copied as much as I could to the new drive from the old main drive.

First off I know this is not the way to replace the main drive and I would like some advice on how to do this properly but heres the thing.

Using the 160g as the master drive or boot drive, whatever the G4 for the first time is absolutely purring. Does anyone have any ideas as to why and I am now more intent on making this the main drive at all time and wish to remove the original main drive.

Again can anyone help steer me in the correct direction to achieve this.

Cheers

Rayd
31st August 2005, 08:26 PM
i dont really understand what you want to do? make the 160gb drive have the exact same files and settings and all that as your old 80gb one? if so, then use Carbon Copy Cloner. if you want to make the 160gb drive a boot drive then just use the startup disk system pref, and if you want to be real picky, change the jumper setting on the drive from slave to master and vice versa on the 80gb one.

drivesafe
31st August 2005, 10:30 PM
Hi ipod_man, I think it is Carbon Copy Clone that I was told to use but Iím not sure what is involved.

By doing it this way, as you posted, I will have a copy of all my setting and not need the old 80g.

As I posted, I have a problem somewhere and I think the old hard drive is the problem. When using the computer with the new drive as the main drive, the computer does not suffer from all the problems that has plagued it from new.

Could you tell me a bit more about Carbon Copy Clone.

Thanks and Cheers.

Rayd
31st August 2005, 11:19 PM
sure, just open it, choose souce to copy from, choose new location, and it will make a exact clone of it on the new location! :D so you can have a identical system to your old but on the new HD.

but be sure to format the 160gb HD before you attempt it so that you have max space left.

drivesafe
4th September 2005, 12:58 PM
Hi ipod_man, thank you very much. It worked a treat. :D

I have another question that you may be able to help with.

I have another 160Gb hard drive and originally tried copying the contents of the main driver and tried to tested the system.

Thanks to your info, the new drive is working but I erased the first 160Gb drive and installed it in the G4 but it is showing as having only 128Gb available while the System Profiler shows 149Gb but still only 128 available and there has been nothing put on the drive since it was erased.

Is this normal or will a reformat do a better job of erasing the drive.

Any clews as to why there is such a lose of memory.

Cheers and thanks again.

Currawong
4th September 2005, 02:11 PM
The first question we should have asked (and didn't) is whether you're using OSX or not, but I imagine you are. The reason you have to use Carbon Copy Cloner is that files have "permission" set, and copying changes those, breaking the system. CCC copies them keeping the permissions settings.

Edited: Something I wrote doesn't apply.

drivesafe
4th September 2005, 02:38 PM
Hi Currawong, thanks for the reply and you have totally lost me now.

I have 4 drives in the tower at present and two of these are 160Gb.

The one I cloned is showing 77Gb available and as this is a clone of an 80Gb that only had 3Gb available when I cloned it to the 160Gb, this matches the 149Gb showing in the System Profile while the 149 Gb drive being shown for the second drive is loosing around 21Gb, or is this scenario just simplifying the math but not matching reality.

Now I have an ATA and again, in the System Profiler it shows 2 hard drives on ATA_4 Bus and 2 hard drives on ATA_6 Bus.

Do I still need an PCI ATA card or is this what I am looking at in the System profiler.

( In case you havenít worked it out yet, I donít have a clue what Iím doing )

Cheers.

BTW, there is a PCI/AGP card but I take it this is the display card.

Currawong
4th September 2005, 06:21 PM
I've edited my post, I missread what machine you had, so what I said doesn't apply.

Edit: Someone pointed out to me that the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner will clone your startup drive, something it wouldn't do before unless you were booted from another HD.