PDA

View Full Version : [Embarrassing] how do u uninstall programs??

estoyloco
21st July 2004, 01:09 PM
I was just wondering how you uninstall programs.. i usually just erase and reinstall OSX because thats what i like to do.. but.. i wouldnt mind learning how to just uninstall programs...

thanks..

Disko
21st July 2004, 01:14 PM
most programs can be dragged to the trash to be un installed.

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program's name will reveal those files.

There is no registry or anything like on PC that needs to be uninstalled from. Just drag and drop. :)

zen
24th July 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 21 2004, 01:14 PM

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program's name will reveal those files.

There is no registry or anything like on PC that needs to be uninstalled from. Just drag and drop. :)
*zen accidentally dragged and drop his Applications folder into the bin on the second day he got it

just GREAT&#33; <_<

Georgina EG
23rd February 2005, 01:24 PM
zen,

I&#39;m seven months behind your post about dropping Applications folder into the Trash, but I can relate to dropping the wrong things in the wrong places. In 1995 when I bought my first Mac, a Performa 580, I accidentally dropped a letter to a friend in the printer icon instead of the Trash . . . and somewhere in the system there&#39;s a mention of it still there over 9 years later&#33;

trinidad
23rd February 2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 21 2004, 01:14 PM

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program&#39;s name will reveal those files.

I&#39;d also like to learn a little more about this...

What other sorts of things can you delete after you&#39;ve thrown the application package into the trash and deleted it?
I did a search in Finder for a recently uninstalled application (Quicksilver), and came up with a .plist inside the preference folder, and also an empty Quicksilver folder inside Cache and Application Support.

Are these deletable also? Or am I better off letting some maintenance program like Onyx delete all these unnecessary files/folders for me?

I&#39;ve just recently switched as well, and I guess too many years double checking my PC registry or shared dlls makes me worry about unwanted files.

CarbonRods
23rd February 2005, 05:13 PM
Today I removed Thunderbird from my machine, here&#39;s how I did it.

I opened Finder, selected Macintosh HD and then typed &#39;thunderbird&#39; in the search box. I then dragged all the resulting files to Trash from Finder. That&#39;s it, the application and all it&#39;s associated files are gone.

CR

Disko
23rd February 2005, 05:18 PM
What CarbonRods said - a great method of uninstalling. Trinidad, you can remove a plist if you like - they&#39;re just the preference files i mentioned in my previous post. The only application that will use them is whichever one you&#39;d removed already.

trinidad
23rd February 2005, 06:23 PM
Ahh.. :D Thanks for sharing that info&#33;