PDA

View Full Version : Time machine

MsMacy
18th April 2010, 08:01 PM
Hey guys need a little answer! My 2007 mac book pro screen I think is gone today the screen froze and then I restarted and I can hear it turning on but i see nothing, I pluged in an external screen but can't see anything, plug in my iPhone and it synced but as I have time machine set up for my back ups I pluged in the external drive in the hope it would back up..

My question does time machine require me to click anything or does it just do it with out me having to ok anything??

Brains
18th April 2010, 11:30 PM
Time Machine will do things by itself, at regular intervals or unless forced by the owner ... of course, you're going to need to be able to see what you're doing to do that!

You may be able to get the external screen going if you follow these steps:
- With the machine running (even though you cannot see anything) close the lid, and wait for the little white LED on the front edge to start its slow throbby pulse, letting you know it is asleep.
- Plug in your MagSafe and make sure its LED is either green or orange.
- Plug in a USB cabled keyboard (even a PC one will do).
- Plug in your external monitor, using an adaptor if you need one.
- Press the space bar on the USB keyboard; this should wake the laptop up
- If things are working enough, the sleep LED will glow solid white, the optical drive should do its little wake-up dance, and after a few seconds you should see the external screen blink, go blue, then become your desktop, with the menubar and Dock and everything.

If this works, then the LCD screen (or something associated with it) is broken, and needs to see an Apple doctor. If this does not work, it means the graphics chip on the main logic-board in your laptop has died, and (once again) it will need to see a technician -- the trouble is, if you do not have extended AppleCare this is going to be one stupidly expensive repair.

If its the screen, an out of warranty repair will be between $250 and $400 including labour. If it is the main logic board, it's $800 to $1400.

MsMacy
19th April 2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to give it a go and let you know. But I don't think it's looking so good it as it is not putting it sleep in sleep mode. Have booked to see an apple doctor but I just can't get in for a week.

But thanks again for all your advice and help!!!!