PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a PC keyboard, mouse and monitor? (was: Mac Mini)

Pashley
18th April 2010, 05:44 PM
This may be a stupid question but I do not know anything about Macs as I am planning to make the switch as most people are due to being tired of Microsoft. My question is, can I plug my existing PC monitor, keyboard and mouse into a Mac Mini? I am embarrassed to ask :blushed:

gehenna
18th April 2010, 05:45 PM
Yep, that's the whole point of it being an entry level Mac

Read about halfway down this (http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html) page.

Pashley
18th April 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Gehenna :-)

snark
18th April 2010, 06:06 PM
Welcome to Mactalk, pashley - I'm sure your new Mini will be the first of many Macs.

I too started with a Mini, and used a Belkin wireless keyboard and mouse, so there are plenty of options for you.

For future reference, please make you post titles a bit more descriptive: eg. "what keyboard, mouse, and monitor can I use with a Mac Mini?"

cheers,
P

Byrd
18th April 2010, 08:24 PM
Just check that you purchase the right monitor adapter when you buy the Mac Mini, if your existing LCD uses VGA.

JB

Pink
18th April 2010, 09:12 PM
I think you'll need a mac keyboard :), your monitor and mouse should be ok.

Byrd
18th April 2010, 09:30 PM
Any generic PC USB keyboard will work fine :) The "windows" key becomes the command key.

JB

Pashley
21st April 2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks everyone! You're all very nice. I actually got an iMac after all that and LOVING it. No more PC for me. One more conversion :-)

Byrd
21st April 2010, 06:39 PM
Nice one, pashley - the iMac will last a lot longer than a mini :)

Pashley
21st April 2010, 08:20 PM

MALPT
6th May 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm getting a Mac Mini for my mum - it will be her first mac and I've recently switched also (iMac 27") so I'm not a full bottle on everything..... I've tried searching the forums and google but just get lost and can't find anything to specifically address this, so please forgive me if it is in a thread somewhere .... when we get the mini (which should arrive soon) can we just plug in cheap speakers? I know it has a speaker built in but is it any good? She doesn't need high fidelity sound quality but to be able to listen to the occasional song or movie etc would be good.

If it's considerably better with external can we just get a cheap pair of notebook type speakers? Are USB connection ones ok or do they specifically need to be using the speaker/headphone jack? (Her existing monitor has speakers in it which do the job via the jack and I thought we could use that)

Rust
6th May 2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone! You're all very nice. I actually got an iMac after all that and LOVING it. No more PC for me. One more conversion :-)

Excellent choice :)
Welcome to the world of Mac and to MacTalk.

~Coxy
6th May 2010, 10:32 AM
1-when we get the mini (which should arrive soon) can we just plug in cheap speakers?
2-I know it has a speaker built in but is it any good?
3-If it's considerably better with external can we just get a cheap pair of notebook type speakers?
4-Are USB connection ones ok or do they specifically need to be using the speaker/headphone jack?
5-(Her existing monitor has speakers in it which do the job via the jack and I thought we could use that)

1 - yep.
2 - it's fine for the odd listen, but if you specifically want to listen to music or watch movies then it's far from ideal.
3 - yep.
4 - USB ones are OK, but they usually cost more and can be harder to find.
5 - That will probably work fine, but usually cheap speakers inside a LCD monitor aren't very good at all, and might not even be any better than the internal speaker depending.

MALPT
6th May 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks ~Coxy!!! That's what I was hoping :)

Kionon
7th May 2010, 01:01 AM
Just tossing in here my first personal mac, (as opposed to a mac at work) was also a Mac Mini (G4, 1.42Ghz, still have her, still running like a champ on 10.5.8) and I bought her so I could do work at home I brought with me. I hooked it up to whatever spare PC peripherals I had, and it worked just fine, but your mother won't want to stay that way. Trust me!

I tried to give my mother the G4 Mini, and then my father bought her one of those Dell minis. She's never been happy with it, and every time I visit, I am fixing something for her. I kept telling her that Mac would be better, but my father is a staunch Windows guy and... nothing I could do to dissuade him. =C

I never regretted purchasing the G4 though. Afterall, that was 2005, and if you go visit the setup thread, you'll see she is still prominently featured in my setup. I also use as my main media center/desktop a newer Mac Mini. I am thinking of jumping onboard with the new Mac Mini Server, because as a video editor, I need more space than I need an internal optical drive. Especially since I just bought a BD-RW drive...

MALPT
8th May 2010, 05:32 AM
She's never been happy with it, and every time I visit, I am fixing something for her. I kept telling her that Mac would be better, ...
LOL - so much the same.... I eventually just gave up and on the weekend (after trying to fart around with several individual issues on her windows box) said "that's it - you're getting a Mac".