PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Apple testing AMD chips for future Macs.

stewiesno1
18th April 2010, 10:07 AM
Would you buy without Intel inside?

Rumor: Apple testing AMD chips for future Macs. Would you buy without Intel inside? | Laptops and Desktops | ZDNet.com (http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=2162&tag=nl.e589)

Hmmmm, just more spurious rumour or is there more to this than I know about?

Stewie

matthew858
18th April 2010, 10:42 AM
Pure nonsense. Why were AMD execs at Apple headquarters? They make the graphics cards that some Macs use.

samuelowens
18th April 2010, 10:54 AM
But it may make sense for Apple to leak it the way they have because of the recent brouhaha about the integrated graphics. It may be a way of saying to Intel 'don't try and pull this crap again or we may walk'...

Byrd
18th April 2010, 12:28 PM
AMD make great value desktop CPUs (and ATI graphics chipsets of course), but I couldn't see Apple making the switch at this stage - i5 and i7 Core CPUs (and their notebook derivatives) provide much more punch over anything AMD can pump out.

Going to AMD at this stage will take Apple back to the PPC vs. Intel days in terms of justifying performance per watt and dollar.

JB

Lutze
18th April 2010, 12:44 PM
I think Apple have an open mind about this. Remember, they had OS X running on Intel for years before it was released.

What's not to say that they have been testing AMD chips and have been chatting about upcoming CPU revisions?

I'd also like to place bets on there being a new system being prepped that will be an ultra low power A4 multi core one - something for Apple TV, for example.

AnthoMac
18th April 2010, 04:57 PM
Apple TV update? Mac Mini with AMD? Mac Pro with custom ATI 5970? iPhone 4.0 with AMD? The possibilities are endless! (of course the iPhone will most likely use the A4 processor or similar)

Also AMD does seem to make sense from the recent problems regarding nvidia and intel's disputes. At least if you use a AMD for CPU you won't have to worry about your graphics card division.

stewiesno1
19th April 2010, 08:21 AM
I think Apple have an open mind about this. Remember, they had OS X running on Intel for years before it was released.

That's my line of thinking exactly Lutze.

I think Apple have been burned a number of times with putting all their eggs in one basket so they don't want to be caught with their pants down again.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if an AMD processor turns up in the Apple lineup down the track - maybe not in the mac pro desktop lineup but in something like the Mac Mini as Anthomac says.

Stewie

nibbles
19th April 2010, 09:37 AM
Apple TV update? Mac Mini with AMD? Mac Pro with custom ATI 5970? iPhone 4.0 with AMD? The possibilities are endless! (of course the iPhone will most likely use the A4 processor or similar)

Also AMD does seem to make sense from the recent problems regarding nvidia and intel's disputes. At least if you use a AMD for CPU you won't have to worry about your graphics card division.

When was the apple tv last updated?

~Coxy
19th April 2010, 11:02 AM
AMD would perhaps make sense if they wanted a better two-chip graphics solution for the low end MacBooks and iMac. I doubt it's that though, ATI graphics sounds like the simplest explanation to me.

Lutze
19th April 2010, 11:30 AM
When was the apple tv last updated?

Apple TV has never (http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=apple_tv&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC) been hardware upgraded.

Akshunhiro
19th April 2010, 02:41 PM
I honestly don't think they will make the switch unless AMD give them an unreal deal on CPU & GPU packages.

I think this announcement came about since Apple were peeved at Intel for shafting them on the new chips. They didn't want integrated graphics but Intel didn't give them a choice.

This could be a scare tactic but it could also backfire.

stewiesno1
22nd April 2010, 11:05 PM
Well maybe this is what has piqued Apples interest.
Is AMD's Fusion processor an Intel killer? | News | TechRadar UK (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/processors/is-amd-s-fusion-processor-an-intel-killer--685007)

"AMD, the PC processor industry's perennial second stringer, is tooling up to release its long awaited CPU-GPU "Fusion" processor.
It has all the makings of an Intel killer, particularly in mobile trim for laptop PCs."

That would get most laptop makers salivating just a little.

stewie

BiRDBRAiN
23rd April 2010, 07:40 AM
I think CPU+GPU in a single chip is the future and Apple are as one of the previous posters has said, seeing what both big players have to offer.

Mael
3rd May 2010, 09:47 PM
Using AMD as a foundry for upcoming Apple designed chips could also be a possibility.

A slim one, but still worth considering.

I take that back, forgot that AMD sold off their foundry.

Move along, nothing more to see here except the ramblings of an old man.

cosmichobo
3rd May 2010, 11:29 PM
After 5 years with Intel... just seems pretty expensive to change now.

How much of the OS would need to be re-written to work on a different chip type like that?

As noted, I could understand it in peripherals like the Apple TV, mini-mobile devices, but not the mainstay full Mac OS X machines...

MightyAtom
3rd May 2010, 11:59 PM
How much of the OS would need to be re-written to work on a different chip type like that?
Almost nothing, you can get OS X running on an AMD system now with only a little more hassle than an Intel hackingtosh.

As noted, I could understand it in peripherals like the Apple TV, mini-mobile devices, but not the mainstay full Mac OS X machines...
I couldn't really see that happening AMD have a terrible history of making low power and mobile processors. They make a lot of promises but the products that eventually make it to market leave a lot to be desired.

AfterBurner_1
4th May 2010, 01:21 AM
I think Apple have been burned a number of times with putting all their eggs in one basket so they don't want to be caught with their pants down again
yes they have been burnt a number of times. Motorola, IBM, and some componenet Manufacturers for things like RAM and HDD in the earlier days.

oh and AT&T although they might actualy be making decent money off of that.

Akshunhiro
10th May 2010, 11:14 AM
Just the kernel

stewiesno1
12th May 2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I don't think it would take much at all from all accounts.
Still early days in all this speculation but it may be interesting to see what turns up ( or gets canned for that matter ) over the next year or so.

Stewie

AfterBurner_1
12th May 2010, 04:02 PM
I'll weigh in here and add that AMD and Apple are probably prepping the Apple equivalents of the HD5xxx Line so HD5770,5870 and 5970. the latter two would most likely be inline with the Six core 32nm Xeon updates.

.Joel
12th May 2010, 07:44 PM
I would have no issues with an AMD cpu, I used to use them and found them to be great value for money. Albeit i'm waiting on a new Mac Pro update, however there's no reason that they shouldn't consider AMD if it will bring the price down of their iMac lineup for example to make it more affordable for everyday users.