PDA

View Full Version : Using Migration Assistant

dgpitt
17th April 2010, 09:03 PM
Hi,
I have just bought a new MacBook Pro and am considering how I will transfer data over from my old MacBook (which is running Snow Leopard). I know I can use Migration Assistant but I don't actually want to transfer everything because I'm pretty sure my old Macbook has a lot of unnecessary junk and files clogging up everything. I just want to transfer all my iLife stuff (iTunes music/video, iPhoto, all my documents, and some of my applications. Will Migration Assistant allow me to transfer only some things from my old Macbook? If not, what is the best way to do this? Also, if I transfer applications, will I need to get a new serial number or will they remain registered?
Any help would be appreciated.

gehenna
17th April 2010, 09:09 PM
Migration Assistant will only copy the data you choose to copy, it's pretty customisable like that. However, you might want to clean up the source drive before hand just in case. Any licensed software you copy may need to have the keys reentered.

Brains
18th April 2010, 02:37 AM
If you have any Adobe applications installed that require registration or authorisation, they must be de-authorised before migrating; they can then be re-authorised using the same number on the new machine after transfer.

The best way to use Migration Assistant is as part of the installation of OSX, rather than running it separately; this lets you faithfully recreate your old machine's account(s) and all settings, but let you choose what else to import over.