PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro restarting problem

gtext
17th April 2010, 01:02 PM
Within a few minutes of starting the Mac Pro up today it shut it self down and restarted. Before the desktop came up it restarted again. Did this four or five times. The last time it restarted it showed the desktop but the fans were going flat out.
Seen on the forum previously to turn off disconnect everything leave for a while then just connect the mouse/keyboard and monitor. Then start. Using wireless instead of ethernet at the moment. So far so good.

Did this a few days ago but only restarted once and has been fine since.

Anything else I should do regarding resetting etc?

dsiew
17th April 2010, 06:18 PM
If you haven't already, install all the updates available then try resetting your PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379).

Brains
17th April 2010, 07:43 PM
And after that if you're still having problems, attempt to run the Apple Hardware Test that is on your machine's original OSX discs; if no luck there, it's time for it to have a technician look at it, as the symptoms you describe are often associated with a failing power supply.

gtext
17th April 2010, 08:39 PM
And after that if you're still having problems, attempt to run the Apple Hardware Test that is on your machine's original OSX discs; if no luck there, it's time for it to have a technician look at it, as the symptoms you describe are often associated with a failing power supply.

Thanks for your suggestions Brains. So far it's been running all day without any problems, but if it does reoccur I'll do what you suggest. Have applecare as a last resort, but if it's hard if you can't demonstrate the problem if it's intermittent.

Also thanks dsiew for your suggestion.

Brains
18th April 2010, 02:31 AM
It might me a good idea to install iStat or Hardware Monitor and keep an eye on the voltages.

gtext
18th April 2010, 12:48 PM
It might me a good idea to install iStat or Hardware Monitor and keep an eye on the voltages.

I have iStat menus installed. Any idea what the voltages should be?

Brains
18th April 2010, 01:52 PM
Not specifically, but a bitt of googling should tell you what they should ideally be. You should watch for fluctuations; if any voltage swings more than 0.3 V you should be concerned.

gtext
22nd April 2010, 12:37 PM
Not specifically, but a bitt of googling should tell you what they should ideally be. You should watch for fluctuations; if any voltage swings more than 0.3 V you should be concerned.

Been Ok for the last few days until today. About 10 min after starting the screen went off and about 10 seconds later the fans came on full but it didn't restart this time. Left it for a minute then turned it off at the power button. Restarted but only went to the grey screen. Turned off again and disconnected all cables. Reconnected all cables turned on and started normally.

Since done a SNC and PRAM reset.

I've also disconnected the Belkin flip that I use to share keyboard mouse and monitor with a windows box just incase that's contributing or changing the symptoms because the Flip running of USB may have turned the screen off.

Tried the hardware test on the install disc and also Techtool Deluxe but they showed no issues.

Any point at this stage trying a reinstall? Could it be software?

Power supply voltage stable at 12.20 very occasionally flicking up to 12.22 for a second in iStat Menus.

Not really convenient at the moment to seek Applecare for a very intermittent problem that's probably going to be hard to locate, and know straight away if it's fixed. But will eventually if all else fails.

Kind of hoping it'll get worse so it's easier to diagnose.

Do Apple do Applecare on site for Mac Pro's?

gehenna
22nd April 2010, 12:42 PM
Well you're able to boot up off the install and techtool discs so that indicates to me that it's likely to be an OS issue. A reinstall might certainly help.

gtext
22nd April 2010, 01:29 PM
Well you're able to boot up off the install and techtool discs so that indicates to me that it's likely to be an OS issue. A reinstall might certainly help.

It really only booted up to the hardware test on the install disc and techtools installed as an app.
It always boots up normally and the only time it won't is after it restarts itself or today when the screen went off. After removing cables and reconnecting it starts normally and does for days or even weeks without any problems.

Doing that always gets it going again.

Does that indicate anything?

Anything in console or a log file that would help to isolate the issue?

Other than that it's not experiencing any other symptoms.

gtext
1st May 2010, 12:05 PM
It really only booted up to the hardware test on the install disc and techtools installed as an app.
It always boots up normally and the only time it won't is after it restarts itself or today when the screen went off. After removing cables and reconnecting it starts normally and does for days or even weeks without any problems.

Doing that always gets it going again.

Does that indicate anything?

Anything in console or a log file that would help to isolate the issue?

Other than that it's not experiencing any other symptoms.
After having no issues since the last post just turned on and all I'm getting is the grey screen with the spinner at the bottom. Tried resetting the PRAM but still the same.

I wanted to run disc utility off the install disc but but can't get the drive to open from the keyboard. How can I do that?

Any other suggestions on other things to try appreciated.

Edit. Just got it to boot in safe mode. See how I go.

Edit 2. In safe mode went to disc utility - verify disc - no faults. Did verify disc permissions and repair disc permissions. Restarted and so far ok.

Anyone suggest what might be going on here!