PDA

View Full Version : Vnc From Mac To Xp Pc @ Work

macmelly
31st August 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi All,

Would appreciate any help you can give me on this topic. I have searched the boards and tried the chat room but have been unable to log in to my work PC from my Powermac G4 for over a week. I tried Microsoft RDC but had no luck there either unfortunately.

Here are the details:

- Windows PC - XP Service Pack 1 running WinVNC (App Mode)
- Home Mac - PowerMac G4 1.25 running chicken of the VNC (also tried VNC dimension)
- I have set a password to the VNC on my machine here, but I don't even get to the stage where I enter it in. It just attempts to connect for a few minutes and either stops responding or gives me a msg such as "could not remotely connect". Sorry, I can't remember the exact message from last night.

I've attached a screen dump of my VNC settings on the PC if this helps.

If I've left out any info...please let me know.

Thanks

Macmelly :)

hawker
31st August 2005, 10:45 AM
Try VNC Viewer for Mac - the two you noted, I had no luck with at all...

macmelly
31st August 2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks Hawker!

Will download that tonight to try.

iMick
31st August 2005, 11:13 AM
I would probably bet that it would be a router of firewall that is blocking your VNC requests. Can you vnc from a pc to work successfully?

You have to make sure that the XP remote access is enabled before RDC will work.

purana
31st August 2005, 11:31 AM
I am with iMick...

You gave no indication how your work (and work pc) is connected to the internet. My guess it only probably has http proxy access, and if so no requests made by your home mac will ever make it to your work desktop, unless of course you know the admin who looks after the device between your machine and the internet.

macmelly
31st August 2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Successfully VNC'd from a PC to my work machine, mind you, that was from within the office network so probably not much help. However, our software company has been controlling my machine through VNC for the past few nights, so can't see what the problem is. Perhaps I am attempting to connect when they are already connected?

I'm not too sure of the network configuration here at work. I know we do go through a Proxy. I've heard people suggesting eanabling port forwarding on the router but I have no idea how to do that.

RDC - had already enabled remote access but still no luck with it. I was told it wasn't such a great idea to RDC over the internet hence me trying VNC.

I'm sorry if I sound like I don't have a clue, but that's because I don't....and I know there are a heap of helpful experts on appletalk who do.

Thanks!

Beast5500
31st August 2005, 11:57 AM
vnc is port 5800 right? so sounds like you may have to just open up that port on your firewall.

try realvnc (the freeware one) for PC (start realvnc as the server on the winboxen) and start the mac as the client (look here for some clients http://www.pure-mac.com/remote.html)

a remote desktop connection can be made with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for mac (freeware)
http://www.pure-mac.com/remote.html#micros...mdeskconnection (http://www.pure-mac.com/remote.html#microsoftremdeskconnection)
that's if you want M$ terminal services. terminal services is port #3389

macmelly
31st August 2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Beast...thanks for your post!

How do I open up that particular port on the firewall? - or is that a job for our IT guy here?

I will try the freeware version tonight running from the XP machine.

Macmelly

purana
31st August 2005, 12:37 PM
The chances your work will allow you to vnc into your machine (and thus open up ports to allow are rare).

Good luck. But at the moment, that would be the only thing stopping you. That equipment between your work PC and the work internet link :)

macmelly
31st August 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks again for the info... :)

Though I am confused as to why I could VNC from another machine and why a software consultant in the US could connect to my machine through VNC...but I can't?? :blink: Wouldn't this mean that the ports are opened up - so to speak? Also I know of 3 other people here who VNC to their machine...or perhaps they use RDC?

What is the diff between the two anyway? :unsure: I am so confused.

Beast5500
31st August 2005, 02:19 PM
They work on similar principals.
VNC is more for viewing what is on the users desktop and can take some control over (by mouse clicks, keyboard etc.)

Remote Desktop Connection (M$ Terminal Services) is purely for logging on using a Terminal services profile (user account) and accessing all the work resources and workstation resources as well as having the sufficient permissions applied.

I'm pretty sure that VNC needs you to be logged, and have the server up and going before you can access whereas TS will prompt you with the logon screen to log on to your special TS account remotely and access everything you need from that machine.

What firewall do you use? Linux box? standalone firewall? router integrated?
is there a firewall on your end as well as the other end?

Also thought of this then. are you using a VPN?
VPN uses port 1723. it encrpyts the traffic between you and one other machine.