PDA

View Full Version : Mail.app 'fetching new mail' indefinitely

jubilantjeremy
17th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Hello,

I've had this problem for a few weeks.. er, months now.
I use Mail.app with three IMAP mailboxes (gmail and two google hosted) and when I start up mail.app, it initially does fetch new mail and display it in the inbox.

If I open the activity window, all the actions complete successfully.
If I subsequently click 'get mail' that works fine too.

However, after some time - an hour, say - mail gets messed up and starts doing THIS :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/201802/mail.png

.. just 'fetching new mail' forever and ever and ever..
The only thing I can do is close Mail (just using the Quit menu - it hasn't crashed) and reopen it, at which point, it's business as usual.

I do have a large number of emails (8K+) in my gmail inbox, and therefore also in my mail.app inbox. I also use the 'letterbox' and 'mail.appetizer' plugins.

Any ideas on how to sort it?
I've kept my mail configuration since 10.3, so I probably should re-do it from scratch, but if there's an easier way of fixing this, I'd like to try that first.

Thanks,
Jeremy

tokevmur
17th April 2010, 02:11 PM
Have you tried deleting your 'com.apple.mail.plist'? When I have a mail problem I

1) Quit Mail
2) drag the com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop from the user/library/preferences folder
3) start up Mail and if the problem has gone away I then trash the com.apple.mail.plist on the desktop
4) if the problem is not solved I then put the com.apple.mail.plist from the desktop back into the user/library/preferences folder that it came from

Just an idea.

snark
17th April 2010, 03:58 PM
I've never noticed the activity window before - thanks for the heads up.

If you leave it open and watch it for a while, is there one activity that starts, but never finishes properly? I'm wondering whether the gmail servers have some sort of anti-denial-of-service feature, that limit the number of concurrent connections from one address. Once you've got one connection open, a second connection will do nothing...maybe.

The synching of unread counts might take a while if you have a squillion messages. Maybe you could increase the time interval between checks for new mail, and see if the problem goes away.

jubilantjeremy
18th April 2010, 04:35 PM
Have you tried deleting your 'com.apple.mail.plist'? When I have a mail problem I

1) Quit Mail
2) drag the com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop from the user/library/preferences folder
3) start up Mail and if the problem has gone away I then trash the com.apple.mail.plist on the desktop
4) if the problem is not solved I then put the com.apple.mail.plist from the desktop back into the user/library/preferences folder that it came from

Just an idea.

Thanks - I will try that! Unbelievably, since posting this thread it's been functioning perfectly..

I've never noticed the activity window before - thanks for the heads up.

If you leave it open and watch it for a while, is there one activity that starts, but never finishes properly? I'm wondering whether the gmail servers have some sort of anti-denial-of-service feature, that limit the number of concurrent connections from one address. Once you've got one connection open, a second connection will do nothing...maybe.

The synching of unread counts might take a while if you have a squillion messages. Maybe you could increase the time interval between checks for new mail, and see if the problem goes away.

Good point - while I don't think there's such an 'feature' of gmail (I have other google accounts in mail which work fine) it could be/probably is just some messed up setting - since it's only on this account. If/when it happens again, I will probably just erase the account and remake it (which doesn't affect the messages)

kt_kez
21st April 2010, 06:35 AM
I'm having the same problem at the moment. The 'connection doctor' is saying that the connection is fine and deleting the preference list as suggested didn't seem to do the trick. My mail also seems to also be constantly recovering the same email, even though that email was sent a while ago.

Any other suggestions as to why this is happening and how to fix it?