PDA

View Full Version : do you Trash or Secure Trash

Fingers
16th April 2010, 02:36 PM
Just wondering what the most popular option would be.

I just gave my old G4 400 away to a relative after an upgrade to a new iMac.

I Secure Trashed everything that I had on the old G4, and I would assume that nothing that I Secure Trashed would be recoverable....is that right?

The next thing that come to mind, was those things that I had maybe just standard Trashed over the last couple of years, that maybe would be recoverable, that I wouldn't want recovered?

I had never filled the memory of the old G4, so some of the standard Trash stuff may still be hiding somewhere....is that right?

I am thinking that I may now use Secure Trash Every time I delete something......is this Bad for the Hard Drive?

What does everyone else do when Trashing.....?

and what are the Pro's and Con's of using either Secure Trash, or just Trash?

Cheers...........Tony.

lord
16th April 2010, 02:43 PM
Other than being time consuming, there is no real reason not to use secure trash. However there really isn't that much point using it either. If anyone had physical access to your machine, you would assume all data on there (keychains, etc) to be compromised as well.

With the data deleted some time in the past, there is a good chance it has been overwritten by new data many times since it was deleted.

In a secure environment you would simply run a gutmann 'secure erase' over the free region of the disk, destroying any 'deleted' data. This is all the secure erase does, but only over the specific file being deleted at the time. There is an option in the disk utilities to do such a free space erase.

Unless you have sensitive data, or CaptinPlanet. I see no reason to use it.

funky79
16th April 2010, 02:51 PM
just trash,

I have nothing on my puter that is considered National Security

The_Hawk
16th April 2010, 03:08 PM
Normal trash for me too.

Fingers
16th April 2010, 03:28 PM
is it true that when you just Trash, that what you trash is still there in its with 100% of what it was....but your computer just knows that it is not needed and it just doesn't show up anywhere....?

So there is no difference to how much free space you have after either Secure Trash or a straight Trash.....?

and there is no effect on the CPU speed if your Hard Drive is full of stuff that is still there (sort of) because you only straight Trash it.....?

Tony.

soulman
16th April 2010, 04:12 PM
is it true that when you just Trash, that what you trash is still there in its with 100% of what it was....but your computer just knows that it is not needed and it just doesn't show up anywhere....?Disks have a directory which the system looks up to see what sectors are free when it wants to write to disk. Trashing a file changes the directory, nothing else. Once those blocks are marked as free the system can use them again and whatever is there will get overwritten eventually.

So there is no difference to how much free space you have after either Secure Trash or a straight Trash.....?Correct.

and there is no effect on the CPU speed if your Hard Drive is full of stuff that is still there (sort of) because you only straight Trash it.....?No.

nibbles
16th April 2010, 04:32 PM
Normal Trash for me, if someone wants to go looking through computer it would be the same as them digging through my physical garbage bin there is not much in there and nothing they would be interested in, it's just crap

~Coxy
16th April 2010, 04:36 PM
I am thinking that I may now use Secure Trash Every time I delete something......is this Bad for the Hard Drive?

Technically it is "bad", but only to a very very minor extent.
I would not bother usiong Secure Empty Trash unless deleting sensitive files, if only for the speed benefit.

snark
16th April 2010, 06:28 PM
Secure Trash - especially when I hear the sound of black helicopters.

soulman
16th April 2010, 07:17 PM
I love the smell of black helicopters in the morning.

melbmac
16th April 2010, 07:58 PM
Normal trash.

Nothing on my computer is particularly useful to anyone, and when I on sell a mac I do one of those fandangle multi pass formats just in case.

Jaste
16th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Normal trash. If people get physical access to my computer, them recovering deleted files is the least of my problems. When I get rid of hard drives I do a full format then drill holes through the platters and toss them.

Ecto1
17th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Secure Trash here. Call me paranoid, I just like to know that who ever buys my old system can't go digging.

DeanCorp
17th April 2010, 09:47 AM
trash unless something is still in use

Vapours
17th April 2010, 04:37 PM
I do normal trash for almost everything, and every couple of weeks I run 'Erase Free Space' on the hard drive, using a single pass of zeroes.

I also use whole disk encryption, set my browsers to private browsing, and turn on secure virtual memory.

Don't have much important or sensitive info to start with (just password lists, medical, financial, personal letters, etc, and of course my plans for world domination), and this stuff gets locked inside an encrypted disk image.

lord
17th April 2010, 04:46 PM
<snip>

Why bother? The free disk erase is pointless if you use File Vault, and the whole thing if pointless unless you have a mac full of CaptinPlanet.

Maybe its safer not not ask.

soulman
17th April 2010, 04:51 PM
What is CaptinPlanet?

D_W_Y
17th April 2010, 06:16 PM
he's our hero

iJohn
17th April 2010, 06:21 PM
What is the difference?

Vapours
17th April 2010, 09:45 PM
Why bother? The free disk erase is pointless if you use File Vault, and the whole thing if pointless unless you have a mac full of CaptinPlanet.
I don't use FileVault, and I have no idea what CaptinPlanet is.

The_Hawk
17th April 2010, 10:04 PM
I just tried it... took more than a few seconds and my trash wasn't all that big... Don't know that I will be doing it again. Besides all that I have far far more personal data on the machine rather than in the trash :P

Can't say as I have ever bothered with File Vault either... maybe something I should look into. What sort of overhead does it bring to the machine? Let's face it I don't *really* need my iTunes encrypted now do I :P

edit: I was just having a poke and turned it on (unintentionally) and it failed telling me I needed more free disk space... (I have 209GB Free on a 500GB drive... :P)