PDA

View Full Version : HELP, I need to send a save command to an application through Terminal

muddie@mac.com
15th April 2010, 07:27 PM
My wife was happily typing away in Pages and when she went to save she went to iTunes first to do something and then when she went to go back to pages the Application wouldn't become active again.
By that I mean that:

A. It is still "Responding" Force quit does not have "Not Responding" beside it. Activity Monitor still shows that it has healthy active processes.

B. The "Save" button is still happily pulsing away.

C. I can click on the open "Pages" window and move it around but I cannot interact with the Application in any other way. Clicking on the "Save" button does nothing. No keyboard commands work either.

D. Say I am in Safari for instance. When I click on the "Pages" window it comes to the front but the Menu bar still has all the Safari menu items in it.

Now I realise that I could just force quit the application but my wife was writing a long journal entry about a death in the family and really doesn't want to loose everything and have to go through the emotion of typing it all again.

So I figure there must be some way of sending a save command through the terminal or Apple script or something?
Does anyone have any ideas?

PS. I put this in the Mac OS forum rather than the Applications forum because I figured it was more an OS thing than a Pages thing.

gehenna
15th April 2010, 07:30 PM
Try using Exposť to see if there are any dialog windows on the screen for Pages that need to be pressed before you can get back into the edit window.

muddie@mac.com
15th April 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks.
Yes I have tried that.
I've tried Tabing through open programs.
I tried to Restart to see if it would force the program to the front. But it just said "Restart was aborted by pages"
I've tried opening another Pages document by double clicking on it. It opened the document but I still couldn't get control over the program. (So now I have 2 Pages windows I can't control.

lord
15th April 2010, 09:32 PM
You can't send a command 'through terminal'. From the sounds of it the application is hanging.

I'd say your time would be better spent rewriting it.

Darwiniandude
15th April 2010, 09:50 PM
If you haven't already, if you can see the text, screen shot it. At least you know what was written, even if you have to retype it. (assuming you don't have OCR software)

Applescripting may be possible, if it's responsive. I'm guessing Command & S does nothing.

Apple script is basic automation over programs. I don't know much about it myself other than it's human language style mostly, eg:

Tell Application "Pages" to quit. Etc.
I don't know if you can save this way.

Bring up Activiy Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and find pages. Highlight it and click Quit Process. Don't force quit, just try the normal quit button. Hopefully it's smart enough to say Would you like to save? I doubt it.

That sucks, good luck.

euphospug
15th April 2010, 11:27 PM
there used to be an issue with InDesign CS1 (i think) and Leopard, where it would look like there was no interaction, but id you hit command-S to save, it would actually save the document, but you still had to force quit.

can you 'quick look' the icon of the document and see if it has saved?