PDA

View Full Version : Importing iPads - The question thread

Fedgrub
15th April 2010, 11:52 AM
Hey guys,

There are many threads around with questions about importing your iPads either through eBay or mail routers. Maybe we could use this thread to ask any questions people may have.

A few I have are:

1. Dead pixels and other concerns - If the iPad for whatever reason is faulty, can you still take it to a genious to have either replaced or fixed? The question basically comes down to international warranty. Or does the Apple Store just care that an iPad is an iPad, doesn't matter where it comes from?

2. 3G Capabilities - Has anyone heard whether the 3G iPad's are locked to US carriers at this stage? Or is it completely unlocked, and we will be able to put a microSIM in when our telcos get that capability?

3. Apps - Out of the box, can we just sync apps straight from the AU store? Theres lots of talk about having a USA account, but if we are happy to wait for iBooks and others, can we just use our AU account the exact same as we do for our iPhones, or does the iPad know where it was manufactured somehow?

4. Plug adapters - Do we need to get a USA to AU plug adapter? Or will our current wall chargers be fine just plugging the USB cable into like with our iPhones?

Thanks!

Mickytk
15th April 2010, 11:54 AM
Two other questions...

1. What sort of concerns are there about sales tax in buying from the US store?

2. What sorts of duties might you get hit with if customs starts sniffing at my package?

Lutze
15th April 2010, 11:57 AM
[B]3. Apps - Out of the box, can we just sync apps straight from the AU store? Theres lots of talk about having a USA account, but if we are happy to wait for iBooks and others, can we just use our AU account the exact same as we do for our iPhones, or does the iPad know where it was manufactured somehow?

Thanks!

Currently there is no Australian iPad App Store. You'll have to get Apps from the states.

Two other questions...

2. What sorts of duties might you get hit with if customs starts sniffing at my package?

Sales tax in the states depends upon the state you buy it - some have sales tax, others don't. Do some searching. Most of the buying sites buy from states with no sales tax.

You will get hit for GST on import - add 10% to the cost.

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 12:00 PM
Two other questions...

Each US state has their own rate of tax. Oregon, New Hampshire and Delaware have none as far as I'm aware. NY was about 9.75% from memory.

Anything worth under $1,000 AUD from the States will not worry Customs (unless, like Anthony you have a couple of dozen in the bag!).

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 12:37 PM
Plugs answer. If you have an Australian Duckhead put that on the US charger and it works fine. it's what I am using. I was swapping one from my iphone charger but then I found I had a spare,

But they do work, even the extension you get with your macbook will work!

Your iPhone charger itself will NOT work, it doesn't put out enough power,

Mickytk
15th April 2010, 12:39 PM
If you have an Australian Duckhead put that on the US charger and it works fine. it's what I am using. I was swapping one from my iphone charger but then I found I had a spare.

Where do you actually buy those replacement duckheads anyway?

Rhino7
15th April 2010, 12:40 PM
Customs can charge you import duties of 5% on top of the GST of 10%. That can mean a total of 15%. However, if you open the IPAD, and have looked to have used it, they can then depreciate the new value considering the item is now used (second hand), for GST and duty calculation.

Generally, anything over $1000 will be targeted. More than one in your luggage as you return will also be targeted. Also, bear in mind that the total value of goods obtained overseas is looked at, so if you have purchased new clothes, dvd's, and anything else on top of your IPAD, this is calculated.

In extreme cases, they are also able to assess the value based on Australian prices, not what you paid overseas. This happened many years ago thanks to a very unfriendly Brisbane customs officer who did not like my camera purchased in Hong Kong for $890 Aust. They looked up the same one here and based its value as being nearly $2000.

Other times, they have let me through with more than I was allowed without any charges. It depends on the person on the day.

decryption
15th April 2010, 12:40 PM

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-APPLE-AUSTRALIAN-POWER-PLUG-FOR-A1205-WALL-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ390181973526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad8a86e16#ht_2137wt_116 7">this guy on eBay is selling them for $10 each.</a>

DaveOZ
15th April 2010, 12:47 PM
I bought a 64gb Ipad for US$940 including shipping which was sent USPS last week. Customs have pulled it and sent me a letter asking for three forms to be filled in and sent. This is a PITA and I would advise you to keep purchases under AU$1000 if you want a smooth import.

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 12:50 PM

I bought 2 from a mactalker.

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 12:50 PM
3.Apps

Currently there is no Australian iPad App Store. You'll have to get Apps from the states.
Wrong. You can buy most apps from the Australian iTunes App Store on your computer using your Australian AppleID and payment, then sync them to your iPad.

Exceptions include: iBooks, Pages, Keynote, Numbers.

4. Plugs
I have a generic USB charger (plugs into the wall socket, has a USB socket on it) that I bought from K-Mart to use with mp3 players and digital cameras. Cost about $8, works fine.

Stevoid
15th April 2010, 12:53 PM
Next question for this thread, How do I import a WIFI model to Australia using an Australian Mastercard (I dont have access to a US card)

alextrob
15th April 2010, 01:01 PM
1. Dead pixels and other concerns - If the iPad for whatever reason is faulty, can you still take it to a genious to have either replaced or fixed? The question basically comes down to international warranty. Or does the Apple Store just care that an iPad is an iPad, doesn't matter where it comes from?

According to Apple [PDF] (http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/NA_iPad_Warranty_v20.pdf):

Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards.
The way I read it: As long as Apple sell & repair iPads in your country, you're covered.

I guess there's a (very very slim) risk that the current-model iPad will never be sold here but I think it's pretty safe to say they will.

Ecto1
15th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Which is better to use Price USA (http://www.priceusa.com.au/) or shipito (http://www.shipito.com/)?

Stevoid
15th April 2010, 01:10 PM
PriceUSA isn't taking orders from new customers apparently :( How does shipito work? Can I use my Aussie credit card?

Fedgrub
15th April 2010, 01:14 PM
Lots of helpful feedback here, thanks guys!

Ecto1
15th April 2010, 01:18 PM
How does shipito work? Can I use my Aussie credit card?

From what I understand when you sign up to the serves they give you a box number and address, thats where you send the products. They then collect it email you shipping cost and any paperwork (customs). They then send it to you.

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 01:36 PM
Regarding the warranty:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5792/supportcoverage.jpg
Registered using my normal Australian AppleID. If I select "extend coverage" it lets me pursue that option.

Fedgrub
15th April 2010, 01:38 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/83632-australian-guide-how-get-ipad.html

Very useful.

tom5955
15th April 2010, 06:40 PM
3.Apps

Wrong. You can buy most apps from the Australian iTunes App Store on your computer using your Australian AppleID and payment, then sync them to your iPad.

Exceptions include: iBooks, Pages, Keynote, Numbers.

The only limitation is at the moment you can't use your AU account on the app store on the iPad. The country of the app store on your iPad is set through the account you are logged into on itunes when the iPad is plugged in.
So your options are to:
Use a US account and buy apps both on iTunes and the iPad's app store with that.
OR use an AU account and use only the iTunes store until the Aus iPad's App store goes live (when it is released here)

Bosox76
15th April 2010, 07:01 PM
The only limitation is at the moment you can't use your AU account on the app store on the iPad. The country of the app store on your iPad is set through the account you are logged into on itunes when the iPad is plugged in.

I thought that you could change your accounts on the ipad just like you can on the iphone without being plugged into the computer. ie. login and logout of accounts at will.

Is that incorrect??

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 07:17 PM

Sales tax in the states depends upon the state you buy it - some have sales tax, others don't. Do some searching. Most of the buying sites buy from states with no sales tax.

You will get hit for GST on import - add 10% to the cost.

There is an iPad section in the Australian iTunes Store. All you have to do is search iPad and you will get over 17 pages of apps. Maybe that isn't enough for your needs. If you want iWorks - you will have to buy it from the USA Store (or fill up iBooks).

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 07:21 PM
PriceUSA isn't taking orders from new customers apparently :( How does shipito work? Can I use my Aussie credit card?
Set up an PayPal account - then buy through PayPal.
OR
Send $$ via bank wire to a friend in the States and have them buy it for you.