PDA

View Full Version : 12" Ibook

saaaahm
30th August 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone, first post on the boards,
I am currently a strictly PC user but i am thinking of buying a 12" ibook just because i want to, and because i have always wanted a mac, i just have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to put up with my ignorance?

1. Can i network a mac into a wireless PC Internet connection?
2. Would an ibook support The Sims 2 (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=29_72&products_id=2988):blink:?
3. Can i just transfer all my mp3s, videos and stuff off my PC straight onto the mac?

thanks
One Love
Sam

king89
30th August 2005, 08:50 PM
Simple answers:
1: Yes, networking is pretty easy if you know what you are doing and depending on how you have your network setup. i.e. with router or through another computer.

3: Yes. iTunes plays most (notable exclusion of ogg) audio files, VLC is a good video media player.

saaaahm
30th August 2005, 08:56 PM
i have my network set up through a Dlink wireless router, i know the ibooks have built in wireless but will there be a problem with any other devices?

sweet good news about the other files, is there any good p2p software for macs? do limewire or kazaa have mac versions?

QueenOfSwords
30th August 2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by saaaahm@Aug 30 2005, 08:30 PM

2. Would an ibook support The Sims 2 (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=29_72&products_id=2988):blink:?
thanks
One Love
Sam
I can answer #2 - yes, it plays. Barely. My iBook is a g4 800 , 640M ram. But its not smooth.

zeddie2001
30th August 2005, 08:59 PM
2.) Yes, technically. But it would be no speed demon!

Limewire does have a Mac version, and as their is no spyware for MacOs X, there is no Kazaa! ;)

EDIT: You can connect to the Fasttrack (Kazaa) network with some P2P apps though.

saaaahm
30th August 2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by QueenOfSwords@Aug 30 2005, 08:58 PM
I can answer #2 - yes, it plays. Barely. My iBook is a g4 800 , 640M ram. But its not smooth.
So a g4- 1.3, 1gb ram would theoretically play better? probably smoother? i mainly want it for basic photo/video editing, watching dvds whilst on the move, internet, word processing, occasional gaming, (battlefield, the sims) and quite a bit of music recording,0 it seems suitable for what i need.

king89
30th August 2005, 09:25 PM
With 1 gig of RAM it should handle yours tasks quite easily.
Yes there are P2P programs on Mac.

A DLink wireless router should work just fine, the iBook would probably be easier to setup then your window computers.

titan44
30th August 2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by king89@Aug 30 2005, 08:50 PM
Simple answers:
1: Yes, networking is pretty easy if you know what you are doing and depending on how you have your network setup. i.e. with router or through another computer.

3: Yes. iTunes plays most (notable exclusion of ogg) audio files, VLC is a good video media player.
correct me if im wrong but,I can recall playing with a ogg pluggin for itunes sometime ago, it was a quicktime pluggin that worked well ( from what i played around with ) the only thing was that visulisations did'nt work

Rayd
30th August 2005, 09:45 PM
the sims 2 will play great on that machine. maybe just turn the settings on medium u will be fine. and to all your questions the answer is yes.

also some essential software to get you started:
Office 2004
Toast titanium 7
all of iSlayers widgets
Adium (the best chat client) also on that note MSN does not support webcam/audio chatting so be aware
Salling clicker (remote control your mac from your bluetooth phone).
others.. thats all i can think of now..

Mac_Switcher
30th August 2005, 11:39 PM
XFactor is probably the best for p2p, it connects to Kazaa, Gnutella, OpenFT and Ares! http://www.xfactor.cc/

Speed Freak: a CPU accelerator that works well: http://home.comcast.net/~jeff.ulicny/software/utils.html

Earth3d: Similar to Google Earth: http://earth3d.org/

EasyWMA: drag n drop converter, converts WMA to mp3: http://www.easywma.com/

MacTheRipper: A DVD Ripper that removes region coding, macrovision, etc: http://www.ripdifferent.com/~mtr/

DVD2OneX: Shrinks VIDEO_TS folders to fit on single layer DVDs: http://www.dvd2one.com/

XBench: a benchmarking utility, see how fast your Mac really is: http://www.xbench.com/

Kildare
31st August 2005, 11:03 AM
If one of your primary options for a notebook is gaming, the iBook - although capable, isn't really the best option.

I tried Battlefield 1942 Demo on my iBook (1.2GHz / 9200M) & it was pretty bad.
The newer 12" (1.33GHz / 9550M) would be marginally better.

Everything else, as said, is great.

saaaahm
31st August 2005, 02:02 PM
hey thanks for everyones feedback, gaming isnt my primary objective, Im a media student and i need a portable workstation for photoshop/video/sound editing and games are just rarely for me, any other things i need to know before converting to mac would be useful as well, because i just went and ordered it 20 mins ago.

Kurtles
1st September 2005, 09:45 PM
Hey dude I recently was in the same position as you, I've strictly been a pc user for the past 15 or so years, and recently I bought an iBook, because of the styling and the rave reviews from mac users, I'm finding the transition to be a smooth sailing affair, the wireless works great, no setup involved at all, you just select the network you want to connect to and VOILA, copying stuff over is very easy, you can just do it through the wireless, make your other hard drive shareable and the transfering is simplistic. Movies, music everything i've tried works pretty well.

In terms of games, this was my major concern as i'm a pretty big games freak!

I've only really tried World of Warcraft on my ibook, and as previously mentioned it isn't as smooth as my 64 bit AMD desktop, but it's not to bad in terms of performance, definately playable for this generation of games I would believe, the sims 2 is supported and I should be pretty playable.

In short I recommend taking the plunge on an iBook, if you have someone who is currently studying, get them to come along as you'll get a fairly decent discount too, about 160 bucks on the 12" iBook I believe.

zers
1st September 2005, 10:01 PM
Not a showstopper, but you'll need a USB device to record directly onto the iBook, as it doesn't have an audio in, other than in-built mic. I've seen said USB devices in Apple stores before.

Good luck.

Damian
1st September 2005, 10:25 PM
We have two iBook 1.33 here (my wife and I).

I can report:

o Recording is fine with a device such as the iMic (USB). I have converted lots of tapes to digital files.
o Performance for things such as Photoshop CS2 is fine with 1gb of RAM
o We both process lots of images (6mb+RAW and 2mb+jpegs with no problem
o I regularly connect to three different wireless networks (Netgear, Cisco) seamlessly, some with Cisco VPN client.
o Also used on wired networks seamlessly
o Plays DVD's fine - smooth
o Often connected to a variety of display devices - digital projectors, TVs, LCDs with ease
o Size and weight are excellent for portability
o My wife is a switcher with the iBook as her first Mac and already she has got rid of her PC
o I have used the 14" iBook quite a bit, but find it just a bit too big for portability

pipsqeek
2nd September 2005, 08:42 AM
The iBook shouldn't have any problems connecting to any wireless or wired Ethernet device.

They all use a standard technology (in the case of wireless, 802.11g) if you can't connect, blame it on the hardware, not the mac :P

Sims2 doesn't even play great on my RevA 2GHz G5. Not impressed. If this were Windows, it would be telling me I have unused icons and applications, asking me to remove them to save space :P

pipsqeek

sputnik1
2nd September 2005, 05:46 PM
This might sound like a really dumb question - and I apologise if it has been answered before:

Can you self-install more RAM on an iBook, or is it a better proposition to take it in to a service centre?

Disko
2nd September 2005, 05:51 PM
Ram is quite simple to install yourself. Just check the documentation that came with your ibook on how.

Damian
2nd September 2005, 06:54 PM
I just added 512mb myself to my iBook 12" 1.33mhz

Steps:

1. Remove power lead and battery and earth yourself.

2. Unlock keyboard:

a. lock is in middle of function key row. Very small screwdriver required. Half turn only.

b. with your finger nails push the keyboard clips towards the touch pad. Clips are next to ESC and F12

c. Swing keyboard up from function key side and flip over to be face down on touchpad - it remains attached via flat cable

3. Remove RAM cover

a. you will see a metal cover with lots of holes held by 4 phillips-head screws - remove screws

b. lift cover off RAM sockets

You will see existing RAM and and empty slot with guides sticking out on each side

c. Note notch on RAM stick and match with same on RAM socket

d. Slide in along guides

That's it!

4. Repeat re-installation as above for RAM cover and keyboard

Sorry - no pics.

Note: The document I found on the Apple site does not match the 1.33mhz iBook 12". It talks about removing the Airport card. Not required. The pictures I found are not for the new model 1.33mhz iBook. A bit disconcerting when I opened the keyboard ;)

sputnik1
2nd September 2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks heaps Damien & Disko.

I appreciate the advice - a little disconcerting for someone who doesn't know much about computers but your advice has given me a bit more confidence. :)

saaaahm
3rd September 2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Kurtles@Sep 1 2005, 09:45 PM
Hey dude I recently was in the same position as you, I've strictly been a pc user for the past 15 or so years, and recently I bought an iBook, because of the styling and the rave reviews from mac users, I'm finding the transition to be a smooth sailing affair, the wireless works great, no setup involved at all, you just select the network you want to connect to and VOILA, copying stuff over is very easy, you can just do it through the wireless, make your other hard drive shareable and the transfering is simplistic. Movies, music everything i've tried works pretty well.

In terms of games, this was my major concern as i'm a pretty big games freak!

I've only really tried World of Warcraft on my ibook, and as previously mentioned it isn't as smooth as my 64 bit AMD desktop, but it's not to bad in terms of performance, definately playable for this generation of games I would believe, the sims 2 is supported and I should be pretty playable.

In short I recommend taking the plunge on an iBook, if you have someone who is currently studying, get them to come along as you'll get a fairly decent discount too, about 160 bucks on the 12" iBook I believe.
yeah, im at uni full time so im already eligible for the edu discount, thanks
My ibook should be arriving sometime next week, and ive just worked over 50 hours at work this week so i have lots of money to spend on gadgets.

Are there any accessories which are a must with the ibooks? Im looking at getting an imic and a bluetooth mouse but is there anything else which is really useful?

Thanks
Sam

emacmark
3rd September 2005, 10:54 AM
Think carefully about the imic, I use the powerwave to record LPs and it never misses a beat.
Mark

saaaahm
3rd September 2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by emacmark@Sep 3 2005, 10:54 AM
Think carefully about the imic, I use the powerwave to record LPs and it never misses a beat.
Mark
well i just need a device that i can plug in a mic preamp for live music recording, ive been reccomended the imic by griffin??, i assume that my ibook will come with garageband inbuilt?

emacmark
3rd September 2005, 11:32 AM
Although I don't know the imic, I believe the griffin powerwave is a better product, it just costs alot more. I read a lot of forums about capturing audio and decided that the number of complaints against the imic was enough to persude me to buy the more expensive powerwave.

Mark