PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the iPad

tom5955
14th April 2010, 11:46 PM
Now that the release has been prolonged here, and my main reason for waiting was for the 3G model, i've decided i'll try getting friends in the US to send me one. I have a few questions first though:

1. Is there anywhere that definitely states that the iPad has international warranty? I know that they probably won't accept it here until its released but I just wanted to make sure in case anything goes wrong, and don't really want to have to ship it back over to the US.

2. Can you purchase stuff on the Apple US Store with an Australian Credit card?

3. Anyone who has had the iPad shipped from the US, what packaging was it in and did it arrive completely safely? I know you can put fragile stickers on boxes and the Apple boxes (from online) usually come with a cardboard box outside then the product box inside, but I can't imagine Australia Post still aren't going to take extra special care of it because of the fragile stickers, so it worries me.

Thanks

MightyAtom
15th April 2010, 12:00 AM
1. From the iPad warranty available here (http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/) in PDF format.

If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards.

2. No.

3. The iPad box is pretty small just get them to bubble wrap it heavily and stick it in a larger USPS express mail or Fedex box.

Phunky
15th April 2010, 12:13 AM
If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges.

Is it just me or is this poorly worded? Comply with import and export laws? Whats that gotta do with getting the thing serviced? Is it trying to say that you must have complied with local laws to get it serviced?

Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards.

So where is international service available? At resellers? Apple stores?
Apple "may" repair or exchange, so does that mean its up to the individual's discretion?

wolfie
15th April 2010, 12:15 AM
Bear in mind, buying apps from a non aus store becomes a pain in the ass wth the constant updating and signing in/out of accounts and itune stores.

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 12:40 AM
Bear in mind, buying apps from a non aus store becomes a pain in the ass wth the constant updating and signing in/out of accounts and itune stores.
It is not so much a pain in the arse...
Just scroll the bottom of any page and click "change country" and when your country (the USA in this case) refreshes on your screen - download your updates.
If you want the convenience, it is worth it.

I had my iPad shipped from the states - took seven days and was in perfect order. Works great.

And now, most especially, I am happy that I did.

there is no international service available. You must return it to the country of origin. As with any "grey market/black market" item. It is part of the game of VERY early adoption.

Lutze
15th April 2010, 01:16 AM
there is no international service available. You must return it to the country of origin. As with any "grey market/black market" item. It is part of the game of VERY early adoption.

You are quoting what with that? Keep in mind that someone has already quoted from the iPad manual.

There is *Currently* no international service for it, because it's not sold internationally. Once it's available everywhere so will the service. That is what is implied in the document.

Jinkst
15th April 2010, 06:55 AM
You are quoting what with that? Keep in mind that someone has already quoted from the iPad manual.

There is *Currently* no international service for it, because it's not sold internationally. Once it's available everywhere so will the service. That is what is implied in the document.

That is how I understand it to be as well. As soon as it is released in Aus then the Genius bar will fix me up. If not, no big deal really.

If you're waiting for a 3G though I'd be more inclined to wait than to order from the States. Only reason I picked one up from ebay was because I only wanted a wifi model. 3G models will more than likely be sold at subsidized prices through local telcos so might be worth the wait if you still want 3G.

Mine was delivered inside a pretty thick cardboard box with plenty of bubble wrap and you'd never think it has travelled further around the world than I have. The box was still in pristine condition and of course so was my iPad. If you're really worried about it just ask for extra padding.

iTy
15th April 2010, 07:43 AM
2. No.

This is incorrect. You can call up your cc provider and tell them you want to buy things from a US online store.

However, you will need to have a delivery address in the US

The cc co. Will put your cc number on the same database when you travel

tom5955
15th April 2010, 06:31 PM

Yeah thats good, just wanted to make sure that when it does come out here i'll be able to get it looked at.

If you're waiting for a 3G though I'd be more inclined to wait than to order from the States. Only reason I picked one up from ebay was because I only wanted a wifi model. 3G models will more than likely be sold at subsidized prices through local telcos so might be worth the wait if you still want 3G.

I thought about it, but i'm not really interested in a plan, just prepaid for when I need it. And i'm pretty sure buying it in full from the US will cost less than it will here. I'm guessing but my estimate is about $900 for the 64GB wifi+3G shipped over here, and i doubt it will be less than that here.

This is incorrect. You can call up your cc provider and tell them you want to buy things from a US online store.

However, you will need to have a delivery address in the US

The cc co. Will put your cc number on the same database when you travel

Thats good, I can just tell them to set it where i'm getting the iPad sent.

Thanks guys.

pmoe
19th April 2010, 08:22 AM
Another question, when I get my iPad on Thursday, will it activate with my Aus iTunes account? I don't have a US one.
I know I can't use the App store App to get apps but I should be able to buy in iTunes and synch?
iTunes is already separating out iPad compatible apps for me. Only three so far. Marvel comics should look great!