PDA

View Full Version : ABC app

homerjay
14th April 2010, 10:54 PM
ok i have an iPad and want to watch the ABC app but as we know you cant because it doesnt work outside US. Does anybody know a way to use a VPN so i can watch the shows. ????

dopus
15th April 2010, 08:42 AM
Search online for anonimisers or openDNS type solutions. I have not done it, but spoke to someone who used a service like this to access UK content that was not available here, and it worked fine.

eds3028
15th April 2010, 11:21 PM
Looking for a similar service. Is there anyone who can recomend one. I am willing to pay a monthly fee if have to, provided I know its going to work reliably. I am also assume if it works on the iPad it would also work on my iPhone, and possbily my home network for apple tv?

iTy
15th April 2010, 11:28 PM
Though I haven't tried it, I believe the program you want is called TOR. Pleas come back and post a how to if you get it working :)

eds3028
15th April 2010, 11:40 PM
looking into it right now. Nope tor doesn't seem to work, or perhaps i just configured it incorrectly. The website isn't very clear on how to configure it.

jml383
16th April 2010, 03:44 PM
I might give the blackVPN website a go - 5 euro a month but seems pretty simple if not worth a test for a month.

MightyAtom
16th April 2010, 04:18 PM
I might give the blackVPN website a go - 5 euro a month but seems pretty simple if not worth a test for a month.

I tried exactly this today. I watched an episode of Scrubs, kept buffering every few minutes then dropped about 5 mins before the end of the program. not feeling confidant about blackVPN's speed but I've got three months to see if it improves.

gehenna
16th April 2010, 04:19 PM
I tried exactly this today. I watched an episode of Scrubs, kept buffering every few minutes then dropped about 5 mins before the end of the program. not feeling confidant about blackVPN's speed but I've got three months to see if it improves.

You could do a speedtest to the blackVPN location to see what kinda bandwidth you're getting.

MightyAtom
16th April 2010, 04:30 PM
You could do a speedtest to the blackVPN location to see what kinda bandwidth you're getting.

Yeah I'm planning to give that ago. I've only setup the VPN on my iPad so far, just trying figure out what would be the most accurate test.

southfreo
16th April 2010, 06:12 PM
I setup AceVPN to try this out , $5 for 1 month, watching Jimmy Kimmel and changing various servers (California, Texas) I still noticed a pause every minute or so, just tried again (Lost), same story pauses every 40 seconds so wouldn't recommend this VPN solution just yet.

homerjay
16th April 2010, 06:28 PM
some people are claiming that hotspot shield works on iPad but i cannot seem to get it to run.

jml383
16th April 2010, 10:35 PM

Just trying it myself... Lots of buffering here and speedtest is showing about 0.25 down when I normally get around 7 so not sure how usable it will be... But like you said I have 3 months to try

MightyAtom
17th April 2010, 01:16 AM
Just trying it myself... Lots of buffering here and speedtest is showing about 0.25 down when I normally get around 7 so not sure how usable it will be... But like you said I have 3 months to try

Same here, my home ADSL is 4.5Mbit with VPN on I couldn't get above 250kbit. I'll just have to see if it improves over time.

some people are claiming that hotspot shield works on iPad but i cannot seem to get it to run.

Doesn't work for me either. I can get it to authenticate but there's just no data.

mcargy08
17th April 2010, 06:07 AM
Doesn't work for me either. I can get it to authenticate but there's just no data.

Same here, I can connect but no data at all. Darn!

homerjay
18th April 2010, 09:47 PM
I went for one month with Purevpn. Works perfect. Cost is $6US.
If your willing to pay this seems a perfect answer. Try it for for month ;)

itsanobscureid
19th April 2010, 09:53 AM
could someone using one of these vpns please check out if tv content from the BBC iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/) will play?

thanks

Alessiman
19th April 2010, 11:00 AM
They work but my issue is that even with ADSL2 (And I get 13mb/s) the video stops and starts every 2-3 mins. It's far from perfect

Lucky I only took the $2.5, 3 day option as I don't think I'll continue the service

Anyone else having the same stuttering video problems?

tcn33
19th April 2010, 11:04 AM
^ Yeah, 40 sec at most before it rebuffers, different provider though (UKiVPN).

MightyAtom
19th April 2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone else having the same stuttering video problems?

Which VPN provider are you using?

Alessiman
19th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Which VPN provider are you using?

PureVPN.

Even tried all the proxys. even their "Fastest" one

Nickh
19th April 2010, 04:57 PM
PureVPN.

Are you on a Mac by any chance? I'm having no success connecting, followed the guides to a T, but no joy.

mcargy08
19th April 2010, 05:55 PM
I went for one month with Purevpn. Works perfect. Cost is $6US.
If your willing to pay this seems a perfect answer. Try it for for month ;)

Tried this and seems to work alright! Working on 3G as well. Using my iPad now!

Alessiman
19th April 2010, 08:40 PM
Are you on a Mac by any chance? I'm having no success connecting, followed the guides to a T, but no joy.

The VPN is setup on the iPad

Nickh
19th April 2010, 10:41 PM
The VPN is setup on the iPad

Got it - thanks!