PDA

View Full Version : Apple delays international iPad release by a month

MizuInOz
14th April 2010, 10:51 PM
I am sure we will hear more soon but this is about the gist of it.

Citing the following article:

Apple delays international iPad release by a month | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/04/14/blame.placed.on.us.demand/)

"Citing "surprisingly strong US demand," Apple has officially delayed the international launch of the iPad. The device will, as a result, only go on sale in foreign countries towards the end of May, instead of late April as planned. Pre-orders however should open up on May 10th, at which time Apple says it will also reveal pricing in local currencies."

LithgowLights
14th April 2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah Gizmodo had the following on it too: Apple Delays International iPad Launch by One Month - International ipad launch - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5516860/apple-delays-international-ipad-launch-by-one-month)

I have to say, I'm rather disappointed by this, but you get that :)

the gaffer guy
14th April 2010, 10:58 PM
Yes it is true
http://idisk.me.com/youmeandthem/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Apple-20100414-225745.jpg

stevensr123
pathetic display from apple i was also not amused at this bit " we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason-the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far." really? who gives a damn?

kungfucamel
shazbot... and that's the nicest thing i can think of at the moment >_<

LithgowLights
14th April 2010, 11:01 PM
shazbot... and that's the nicest thing i can think of at the moment >_<

Oh believe me I let out a few worst than that. I'm heading on holidays ion May 18th. Since I wont have the ipad then (which is really what I wanted it for), well I simply wont bother getting one at all, and will wait for V2 next year lol

homerjay
14th April 2010, 11:01 PM
Faced with this surprisingly strong US demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May. We will announce international pricing and begin taking online pre-orders on Monday, May 10.

at least the pre-order date is set

clanger21
14th April 2010, 11:02 PM
" we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason-the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far." really? who gives a damn?

Kinda rubbing it in by adding that at the end.

uncyherb
14th April 2010, 11:04 PM
Sad face.

stevensr123
14th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Kinda rubbing it in by adding that at the end.

exactly.

mattcooper
14th April 2010, 11:06 PM
Grrrrrr!
The only positive thing I can think that can come out of this is.. More polished/bug free apps will be out when the iPad Launch's in Aus.. But still Grrr Apple

gamblor
14th April 2010, 11:08 PM
This is just a shitty way to treat your customers, and the first time Apple has so completely missed the mark on release dates.

Fuck you Apple.

tom5955
14th April 2010, 11:09 PM
Grrrrrr!
The only positive thing I can think that can come out of this is.. More polished/bug free apps will be out when the iPad Launch's in Aus.. But still Grrr Apple

Thats not enough to make up for not having one for another month!

stevensr123
14th April 2010, 11:09 PM
This is just a shitty way to treat your customers, and the first time Apple has so completely missed the mark on release dates.

Fuck you Apple.

I'm feeling the same way tbh, they clearly don't give a fuck about international customers who have been PROMISED it will be out in april. not only that but they left us in the dark for so long.

mac_man_luke
14th April 2010, 11:12 PM

Fuck you Apple.

Actually not the first time, anyone remember the ipod mini delays? powerbook delays?

jleetj
14th April 2010, 11:12 PM
It might be wise just to wait for v2 now, we'll have a new iPhone to keep us amused in the meantime anyway...

Joey1983
14th April 2010, 11:13 PM
I get the delay, they can't make em fast enough. Yay, good for you...
But at least give us pricing. So you won't have enough to launch as per the late April schedule but they must have had the prices set by now...

hendot
Pre-order on May 10 according to Apple website

NeoRicen
While this is obviously annoying, to a certain degree, it is nowhere near as frustrating as the year of uncertainty following the iPhone launch. At least we have a date, and it's not even two months away.

clanger21
14th April 2010, 11:14 PM
Makes it hard for the international developer community to be able to test their apps on an actual iPad. May result in buggy apps for a lot longer.

NeoRicen
14th April 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm feeling the same way tbh, they clearly don't give a fuck about international customers who have been PROMISED it will be out in april. not only that but they left us in the dark for so long.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

hendot
14th April 2010, 11:16 PM
So I guess we will find out the price on May 10, or just beforehand.

gamblor
14th April 2010, 11:17 PM
But uncertainty is better than a bait-and-switch.

Also, Steve said on Friday it would be late April. Demand can't have suddenly become a problem in less than a week. Some fuck-up with manufacturing no doubt.

I'm annoyed because I'll be overseas in SE Asia on 10th May. So I won't be able to pre-order. I'll just get a friend to do it but I was looking forward to the joy of doing it myself.

carveman
14th April 2010, 11:18 PM
Just ebayed one quick smart before the demand/price goes through the roof

Joey1983
14th April 2010, 11:19 PM
While this is obviously annoying, to a certain degree, it is nowhere near as frustrating as the year of uncertainty following the iPhone launch. At least we have a date, and it's not even two months away.

I know, just feels like such an eternity since they were announced back in Jan.
And now another 6 weeks :mad:
At this rate it almost feels like it would just be worth waiting for v2...

jesse
14th April 2010, 11:22 PM
But uncertainty is better than a bait-and-switch.

I'm annoyed because I'll be overseas in SE Asia on 10th May. So I won't be able to pre-order. I'll just get a friend to do it but I was looking forward to the joy of doing it myself.

They have the internet in SE Asia.

El Guardo
14th April 2010, 11:22 PM
Flying to the US wasn't such a crazy idea after all...

tom5955
14th April 2010, 11:24 PM
Flying to the US wasn't such a crazy idea after all...

Definitely worth it

alvse
14th April 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm going to see if me mate in the US is willing to buy + ship me one...

wholikespotatoes
14th April 2010, 11:28 PM
All the ebayers selling iPads for ridiculous prices to internationals will love this decision :(

ts10
Right, time to phone my uncle in America.

gareth
The least Apple could do now is give us the prices.

mitty
14th April 2010, 11:31 PM
I heard the reason for the delay is some dudes bought 19 between them.

jack112006
14th April 2010, 11:31 PM
Sorry to totally go against you guys again, but this is PERFECT for me. If the day is May 22, thats one day before my birthday. That means I have a 100% guarantee for an iPad. And seriously guys, that isn't that far away. It will go fast.

NathR32
14th April 2010, 11:33 PM
I heard the reason for the delay is some dudes bought 19 between them.

lol classic

MizuInOz
14th April 2010, 11:36 PM
there are a few still available in E-Bay...
17 pages worth...

iPad - Apple iPad tablet at eBay (http://ipad.ebay.com/listings)

@ Trance...
I am rolling... can't stop laughing. MDN has comments about Anthony and his adventures from the readers!

dawsman
14th April 2010, 11:37 PM
I suppose this means the app store wont be accessible from within Australia until then either (for those of us lucky enough to already have an iPad)?

Shintaro
14th April 2010, 11:38 PM
The only reason there is so much demand in the USA is due to the pricks arse raping everyone else who don't have them on sale yet.

wholikespotatoes
14th April 2010, 11:39 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fs8W6ode9rY/S5IvzPTKJzI/AAAAAAAAAD4/Oh2F-BvjLS8/cash.jpg

MizuInOz
14th April 2010, 11:39 PM
just type in iPad apps in the search bar and you will find page after page of apps...

Enjoy...
Heaps and repeats, too.
Growing every day!

tom5955
14th April 2010, 11:48 PM

liars

Lockley
14th April 2010, 11:51 PM
when the store came back up with the new MBP i said that i will definitely get an iPad..............

but with the new "late may"

i will definitely get a new MPB

i will wait for the next gen iPad next year

i wish i could afford both :mad:

jleetj
14th April 2010, 11:53 PM
Delay after delay...how very Microsoft of them!! :(

euphospug
15th April 2010, 12:01 AM
the six was upside down thats all

Phunky
15th April 2010, 12:01 AM

http://www.vikdavid.com/blog/pics/nelson-haha.gif

wolfie
15th April 2010, 12:03 AM
Arghh fuck.
I'm so tempted to get one from USA as I got a few friends there, who wouldn't mind sending me one, is warranty on these things confirmed if it's local or global?

jleetj
15th April 2010, 12:04 AM
the six was upside down thats all

Even so it would still have been a lie...

Darwiniandude
15th April 2010, 12:17 AM
I'm annoyed, very!

However, I don't think it's a hardware hold up. Maybe it is with the 3G, I dunno. I honestly think it's software. They have a lot on their plate. I understand.

Argh!!

Agro.

Apple, you can take your (awesome) new Macbook Pros and shove 'em!

Stevoid
15th April 2010, 12:18 AM
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/kttpnfbj.jpeg

How do I pre-order a 3G model from the US?

alextrob
15th April 2010, 12:18 AM
Pretty annoyed about the delay.

I've got relatives holidaying in the US and getting back at the end of April. Told them not to bother getting me an iPad because it would be released here by the time they got home.. Should probably get them to try to hunt one down for me...

foxy
15th April 2010, 12:21 AM
I have a family member going to the USA in June, if there is no stock left in Australia or if it's cheaper to buy in USA with exchange rate then I will do that option. I won't have money to buy an iPad before then anyway.

Shintaro
15th April 2010, 12:24 AM
And the prices on eBay are off to the land of crazies.

Some arse clown has 10 64GB models in the states,
for the princely sum of $11,000 each.

bigbod
15th April 2010, 12:29 AM

I think (hope) you'll find that's for a lot of 10 units ;)

jleetj
15th April 2010, 12:32 AM

A worldwide release like they planned would have prevented this kind of profiteering. Now this further delay will only make things worse...

Shintaro
15th April 2010, 12:44 AM
I think (hope) you'll find that's for a lot of 10 units ;)

Yeah, you could be right, just found another (more clearly described) lot of 10 for 9,999USD.

Frikkin nice little profit margin.

par3182
15th April 2010, 12:46 AM
Delayed by a month. Four weeks. 30 days.

Not canceled. Not recalled. Not exactly the end of the world.

yinyang
15th April 2010, 12:56 AM

judging by some of the reactions here so far, perhaps it is the end of the world....! :rolleyes:

twadds
15th April 2010, 12:59 AM
My trip to the US in 12 days time, is all of a sudden much more timely. I was going to get one there anyway due to the better pricing (most likely). Now I'll be back with a 3G model (hopefully) before they even go on sale here. Nuts!

VOOK
15th April 2010, 01:01 AM
So where is everyone importing one from now?

Shintaro
15th April 2010, 01:02 AM

True.
However, when Steve said 60 days which would have been around March 28, then it slips to end of April, then to the end of May, you can understand people cracking the shits.

Even worse when scalpers on ebay are having a field day with the whole thing.

Quasar
15th April 2010, 01:05 AM
Crap.

And they still can't be bothered to tell us how much.

kenexx
15th April 2010, 01:33 AM
judging by some of the reactions here so far, perhaps it is the end of the world....! :rolleyes:

Yeah I'd hate to see some of the reactions if something really bad happened to some of you guys. I mean seriously its a month late, big fucking deal :shocked:

bennettnz
15th April 2010, 01:42 AM
Curse you Apple we liked you so much better when you made beige computers and had a rainbow in your logo, before you gave in to the dark side and turned your logo black. Damn you for gaining marketshare with your alternate universe fancy technology gadgets. We spit on your turtlenecked master while salivating at the pretty shiny things we must caress. Oh yes we must touch and slide, undress and covet your soft curves and thin form factors. How we suffer for our infatuations, our unrequited loves - 30 more sweaty disturbed sleeps before we can whisper our deepest fantasies in your usb port and run our finger tips over your silky surfaces. While we watch as our american counterparts have their way with you, our desire only burns hotter... even though you treat us so bad - we want you, we love you, we must have you.

jleetj
15th April 2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah I'd hate to see some of the reactions if something really bad happened to some of you guys. I mean seriously its a month late, big fucking deal :shocked:

It's actually 2 months late now, and it's not the end of the world but it's a major inconvenience for some. This is an expensive purchase and so it has to be planned for, not just bought on a whim. Some of us have sold off our older devices in anticipation of the release, but we are now empty handed while we have to wait longer than expected. Some in this thread have said they decided not to purchase from the US because they thought it would be here soon. Also, developers who have not been able to get their hands on a unit may be disadvantaged, and this is their business that they are worried about.

I wonder if anyone from overseas was planning to come to Australia to get the iPad at the end of the month, their travel plans would now be upset as well...

auspad
15th April 2010, 01:59 AM
im gong to wait for a v2 see yall in a month

Jinkst
15th April 2010, 05:33 AM
Could not be happier at my impulse buy from last week now :cool:

iphonedev
15th April 2010, 05:45 AM
Happy with my impulse buy from eBay

kyte
15th April 2010, 05:52 AM
Solves my issue of whether I would buy a new lens or two before or after iPad.

Next week, money goes on a Tammy 90 macro and a 15mm prime

anyway, I am not surprised at all... I predicted this already (including a pathetic rationale for a delay)
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/82940-ipad-australia-april-24th-7.html#post953560

So to those who pooh-poohed me at the time... :P to you

Alicepire
15th April 2010, 05:55 AM

http://politiclolz.com/files/2009/09/20090909-You-Lie.jpg

mcargy08
15th April 2010, 06:32 AM
Happy with my impulse buy from eBay

Same! And mine is due to arrive today! Woohoo

gamblor
15th April 2010, 06:47 AM
They have the internet in SE Asia.

I spend too much of my time in front of a computer, so the idea of visiting an internet cafe to order an iPad instead of you know, having a holiday, doesn't really sound like fun.

gamblor
15th April 2010, 06:51 AM
What frustrates me even more is that Mr Jobs obviously knew at the iPhone 4.0 event that this was going to happen, yet chose to continue stating late April while the share holders were watching.

Then they try and sneak this out in a press release to minimise damage to their share price. Fuckers.

Bodalenko
15th April 2010, 06:53 AM
Our 64g arrives tomorrow!! Sorry. It does help to have a friend in the US but
at US$128 to get it here we are paying a premium.

entropy
15th April 2010, 06:57 AM
At least this solves a dilemma for me.
I was having trouble justifying a new imac, iphone and ipad this year.

The justification for the ipad was that we were going on holidays in early May. As I can no longer get an ipad before then, I can wait until next year and V2, and it is easier to justify the fourth gen iphone when it comes out.
I am waiting for USB3 on the imac.

Jinkst
15th April 2010, 06:58 AM
I spend too much of my time in front of a computer, so the idea of visiting an internet cafe to order an iPad instead of you know, having a holiday, doesn't really sound like fun.

Lol come on it's not a 3hr ordeal to jump online and order something. It's a 5min job... It in no way is replacing having your holiday. Bit dramatic mate lol ;)

gamblor
15th April 2010, 07:01 AM
Lol come on it's not a 3hr ordeal to jump online and order something. It's a 5min job... It in no way is replacing having your holiday. Bit dramatic mate lol ;)

I know, but I'm not even taking my iPhone - just a crappy Sony Ericsson. I'll just get a friend to do it.

On the plus side of all this, my DODOcase for iPad will have arrived by the time of launch.

entropy
15th April 2010, 07:01 AM
If anyone has moved on to looking for the silver lining to this cloud, we can expect the reserve bank to raise interest rates again prior to making these puppies available for preorder, thus strengthening the AUD further.

So.... maybe the price will end up closer to $599 than $649.

AND THEY OWE US!!!!+1

entropy
15th April 2010, 07:06 AM

Fuck you Apple.

I give you the apple product cycle (http://misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/)

it is in fact modus operandi. key quotes:

In the wee hours of the morning on the initial ship date, as the Mac heads lay snug in their beds or take MDMA and dance to bad music, Apple delays everybody’s ship date by four weeks.
Rage reigns in the Mac forums. Lifelong Mac users who would never consider purchasing anything made by Microsoft or Dell, regardless of how shabbily Apple treats them, vent their anguish and frustration. Failing utterly to see the irony of the situation, they prattle on until their panties are twisted in knots.
The rumor sites abound with half-baked theories blaming the shipping delay on everything from heat dissipation problems to SARS. The most obvious explanation, that Apple lied about the initial shipment dates, is ignored in favor of more elaborate and unlikely scenarios.
A week before the revised ship date rolls around, small quantities of the new product begin to appear in Apple’s retail stores. Chaos ensues as crazed Mac-heads queue up hours before the stores open, hoping to get their hands on one of the prized gizmos. The bedwetting in Mac Internet forums reaches tidal proportions as people post empty threats to cancel their online orders. The devices begin to appear on eBay and get bid up to absurd premiums over MSRP.
Pointless outrage slowly turns to pointless optimism. Driven insane by the lack of instant gratification, would-be customers profess their willingness to gun down the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny if it would hasten the arrival of the FedEx delivery person.

drzeus
15th April 2010, 07:11 AM
Faced with this surprisingly strong US demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May. We will announce international pricing and begin taking online pre-orders on Monday, May 10. We know that many international customers waiting to buy an iPad will be disappointed by this news, but we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason—the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far

Putting it through the Apple Marketing Speak Translator (AMST) yields:

"Faced with the iPad selling a lot better than we thought a giant iPod touch would, we have decided as always to not give a shit about the rest of the world. The US is the world and the rest of you will have to wait for the crumbs.

We will announce how much we will overcharge you internationally on May 10 but it will, as always, be a ludicrous 30-40% higher than the US. We know international buyers will be disappointed by the news but hey suck it up as always, you know you will still pucker up when it arrives. We want you to know the reason for the delay is that we are rolling in money in the US so we will sell every last one to the suckers here while it's hot prior to moving to international markets.

Apple"

hobbsy101
15th April 2010, 07:17 AM
Ha I'm all good. On my US imported iPad right now! Sorry, I had to rub it in all your faces

u98925
15th April 2010, 07:18 AM
Guess this will also delay the release of iPad V2.

Dust For Eyes
15th April 2010, 07:20 AM
Bright side kids, we're lucky we're not facing a ban on iPads (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/israel-bans-ipad-imports/).

Anthonyw
15th April 2010, 07:25 AM
So are 3g ones delayed for the US too

samanjj
15th April 2010, 07:27 AM
Very annoyed at Apple! We were two weeks away now 6 weeks. If they screw us on pricing I will not be getting a first because they burned the good will on this one. I still plan to buy the new iPhone (2 years since my last iPhone purchase) but man the icing on the cake is rubbing our face in US demand. Talk about pandering to their US audience. Dickheads.

decryption
15th April 2010, 07:31 AM
So are 3g ones delayed for the US too

Nope - the US is getting the 3G iPad in late-April as planned :(

bartron
15th April 2010, 07:32 AM
demand in the US???

Dear Apple,

When you release a product that everyone in the world wants in only one country, everyone will buy from that country.

DaveOZ
15th April 2010, 07:32 AM
Strange that you can still order them in the US for 5 days shipping (so they are coming direct from China).

supafly
15th April 2010, 07:34 AM
Been trauling the forums for a while and thought I would sign up :)

Have found a seller in Sydney selling 32gb for $820 (Free P&H) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-SEALED-APPLE-IPAD-32GB-WIFI-VERSION_W0QQitemZ220589501470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Computers_Apple_Laptops_Notebooks?hash=item335c28 ac1e) - Think it is a worthy price to pay? Read the description and it sounds a little weird, but 100% feedback atleast. Seriously considering buying one now- very disappointed at last nights announcement!

iTy
15th April 2010, 07:35 AM
We'll I might consider selling mine for a princely sum now ;)

....1 million dollars...

I might even get more and put them on eBay :D

james the 2nd
15th April 2010, 07:38 AM
Anyone have a trusted ebay seller or a positive experience with one for a 32 GB ipad?

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 07:44 AM
So, Anthony, lightning going to strike twice? Feel like a quick LA trip?! :)

Rhino7
15th April 2010, 07:51 AM
Looks like I will have to buy a few here in the US and bring them back early next week.

EBAY could make me rich. Perhaps I will get myself a 64 instead of the 16.

Jinkst
15th April 2010, 07:54 AM
All the people saying eBay, just change your country store to United States and there is a full iPad store. Found plenty on there with good prices before I bought mine. Best value is going the 32gb and 64gb models. Not much value in the 16gb.

By now some sellers would have no doubt sold a few and have some good/bad feedback to go off. The seller I bought mine from was great. Shipped as soon as I'd paid and it arrived in less than a week. I was tracking it throughh USPS which said it was still in the States, so needless to say I was more than surprised when I got home yesterday to find an iPad sized package waiting for me.

Just hope you all make your purchase before the sellers jack up the prices after the delay announcement.

scar68
15th April 2010, 07:56 AM
So, Anthony, lightning going to strike twice? Feel like a quick LA trip?! :)

I will gladly pay to assist with the airfare etc. Was so looking forward to getting my 3G in "Late April"

Come on Anthony, you KNOW you want to.;)

melted.marsbar
15th April 2010, 07:58 AM
It would be nice if Apple could send a few iPads to our Apple Stores so we could at least have a play... :)

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 08:01 AM
As much as this is upsetting for many people. I had to have a laugh at all the people who said that those of us who bought our ipads from America were stupid because we couldn't wait.

Will wait to see them come out of the woodwork now they want to buy one from there themselves lol.

vecsty
15th April 2010, 08:03 AM
Its good to see Apple have a hit with the iPad.
Keep that in mind.

jesse
15th April 2010, 08:09 AM
I can wait, but this is testing my patients ...

nando
15th April 2010, 08:16 AM
WTF!?!?! oh well...more money for saving
i guess Apple understatimated by a long shot the demand in the US.
geez stupid Apple! get better analyst next time! :P

Am guessing that theres lots of stupids that buy it..in large amounts and then sell it on ebay on the premise that ppl outside the US want it!..no wonder apple is now giving it to us on late may

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 08:17 AM

Why would they care?

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 08:19 AM
And Jesse - how do your patients feel?
Just have patience - all will be good, mate.

Aladdin
15th April 2010, 08:23 AM
Wonder when the 3G model will be released in the US?

Wonder whether the late May date for Oz is for the Wi-Fi model only, "citing runaway success of the 3G model in the US"?

Oh well, I will keep on waiting, and waiting, and waiting . . .

Maybe I should have decided to get the iPad mule to get me one. Ah, the benefit of hindsight.

toholio
15th April 2010, 08:40 AM
"Citing "surprisingly strong US demand," Apple has officially delayed the international launch of the iPad.

There's a typo in that. It should read:

"Citing "An easy way to generate even more hype" Apple has officially delayed the international launch of the iPad.

There, I fixed it.

digoxin
15th April 2010, 08:46 AM
For Decryption to have any street cred as an ipad uber mule he needs to make another trip to the US of A to pick more ipads. Make it 3G ones this time. With his credit cards tattooed to him this time.

Joey1983
15th April 2010, 08:47 AM
What a mess this launch has been.
They may have sold 500 000, but there's about 200 000 of them on eBay. And it's only going to get worse over the next few weeks... :(

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 08:55 AM
Instead of asking Anthony to go back for another load, how about just getting one on ebay, it works out the same cost and Anthony can sit at home quietly playing with his ipad, and not have to worry about going n another trip! lol

wolfie
15th April 2010, 08:57 AM
So tempted to get one imported.
Though if I do I'll refuse to buy any apps, as it's a royal pain in the ass updating apps by signing in and out of itune stores all the time

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 08:59 AM
Instead of asking Anthony to go back for another load, how about just getting one on ebay, it works out the same cost and Anthony can sit at home quietly playing with his ipad, and not have to worry about going n another trip! lol

Becaaaause In & Out Burger is based in LA and Anthony missed out on them last time! Reminds me: best burger had in the US so far.... Burgerville. And they sell beer in the store! :)

tcn33
15th April 2010, 09:02 AM
For preorders, do Apple charge your card when you place the order or when it ships?

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 09:05 AM
For preorders, do Apple charge your card when you place the order or when it ships?

Evidently they put a hold on your card for the amount but don't charge the card until shipping. Reservations don't require a card at all. That's what happened last time.

nibbles
15th April 2010, 09:05 AM
They may have sold 500 000, but there's about 200 000 of them on eBay. And it's only going to get worse over the next few weeks... :(

You forgot to mention all the broken ones such as the one that was hit with a baseball bat, the blended one and probably a lot more rich kids smashing them because they wanted to.

They should have given us pricing at least and they should give mactalkers a discount, like that will ever happen. What happened to you apple? are they having any issues with the iPads yet such as yellow-tinged screens

Fedgrub
15th April 2010, 09:08 AM

Keep in mind that people selling these iPads on eBay most likely dont have the iPad in their possession. When you pay for your winning bid, they go to the Apple store, buy it and go send it.

No risk.

tcn33
15th April 2010, 09:12 AM
Evidently they put a hold on your card for the amount but don't charge the card until shipping. Reservations don't require a card at all. That's what happened last time.

Okay, my 32GB 3G order is in on the US store - let's see what happens.

cordonbleu
15th April 2010, 09:13 AM
This news really blows....

I feel slightly vinidcated in my decision to go out of my way to win one on eBay now, should be here Monday....

I was dreading seeing an announcement that made my impulsive ebaying seem stupid, something akin to "iPad out on the 24th of April, near price parity with the US"

As it happens i paid just over $1000 for a 64gb wifi (obviously) from Melbourne from a good seller.... Am so excited I could start trotting any moment!

davidw89
15th April 2010, 09:17 AM
Apple does it again, one month at a time...

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 09:20 AM
This news really blows....

I feel slightly vinidcated in my decision to go out of my way to win one on eBay now, should be here Monday....

I feel TOTALLY Vindicated! it pissed me off that people were saying the ones who got theirs imported were idiots who couldn't wait.

you do what you want to, who is someone else to tell you there is something wrong with you because you couldn't wait??

I was going to do a happy dance and stick my finger up but that's just childish.

I'll sit and play with my ipad for another month and smile.

bassmanbliss
15th April 2010, 09:22 AM
Looks like they might be starting to run on Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time)

cordonbleu
15th April 2010, 09:28 AM
stuff

Haha! Yeah, I figured it was getting ridiculously late in the month for there to be no announcement whatsoever, A few extra dollars to have it now seems worth it for me, the novelty from reading all the online app reviews and such would have started to diminish my own experience and wow factor when I finally got one if I had waited longer..

Has anyone downloaded iBooks from the US store? Are you able to buy books from Australia with it or are they region locked?

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 09:31 AM
Has anyone downloaded iBooks from the US store? Are you able to buy books from Australia with it or are they region locked?

Yes and no. IBooks is only available on the US app store. But, easily accessible if you have a US account.

Rust
15th April 2010, 09:32 AM
Crap CPU spec bump on the 13" MBP and now the iPad delayed. That was a double let down for me. April was supposed to be Apple purchases month for me! lol oh well...Trying to see if a friend in the USA can bring one back with her from her trip. She'll be back on the 24th...

So for all you people with iPads from the US - how does purchasing apps work exactly? Will it conflict with my AU iTunes account?

Jaste
15th April 2010, 09:33 AM
I predict they will be disappointed by international sales because everyone who really wants one will already have bought one through eBay ;)

iTy
15th April 2010, 09:36 AM
So for those of us who paid a premium to get one or 2, when's the next MTAU meetup so we can bask in the triumphant glory of our WiFi only iPads :p

Seriously though, if any Brissy people with iPads want to get together and have a coffee with iPads and a Mifi, let me know. I'd be keen to test some of the multiplayer games over bluetooth. :cool:

ps. Don't mean to rub it in...but that extra premium that I've paid (32 Gb for $850 delivered) seems to be less of a premium atm... :naughty:

Better update my sig. Ha!

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 09:38 AM
Crap CPU spec bump on the 13" MBP and now the iPad delayed. That was a double let down for me. April was supposed to be Apple purchases month for me! lol oh well...Trying to see if a friend in the USA can bring one back with her from her trip. She'll be back on the 24th...

So for all you people with iPads from the US - how does purchasing apps work exactly? Will it conflict with my AU iTunes account?

Get her to get you some US iTunes gift cards. I estimate about $100 to get you started. :)

It doesn't conflict... The only slight pain is switching in and out of accounts when apps need updating. Not a big deal.

I can buy apps from my device now too, rather than having to do it on the MBP and sync over with iTunes. Very handy, but now I've spent $$$ I really shouldn't have. ;)

MissionMan
15th April 2010, 09:39 AM
So for those of us who paid a premium to get one or 2, when's the next MTAU meetup so we can bask in the triumphant glory of our WiFi only iPads :p

Seriously though, if any Brissy people with iPads want to get together and have a coffee with iPads and a Mifi, let me know. I'd be keen to test some of the multiplayer games over bluetooth. :cool:

ps. Don't mean to rub it in...but that extra premium that I've paid (32 Gb for $850 delivered) seems to be less of a premium atm... :naughty:

Better update my sig. Ha!

And we'll bask in the glory of our 3G models :p

bassmanbliss
I just sent an email to a mate in NY to see if she feels like posting me a 3G one when they come out. Hopefully she says yes *crossing everything*

nando
i'll just wait for May whats one month more..havent had it for years and years..one month more wont hurt...and for those that buy it on ebay..thats very desperate..or u guys are loaded..so maybe u guys could buy me one! ;)

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 09:47 AM
No, you can purchase them now with your AU iTunes account through iTunes on your computer (the AU App store is not yet available on iPad and won't be until launch), and they sync as normal.

If you get a US account and start buying apps, you lock yourself forever into a cycle of switching accounts to update apps, so I'm avoiding it.

Rust
15th April 2010, 09:50 AM
Hmmmm what to do...Damn you Apple :(

Jinkies
15th April 2010, 09:52 AM
Totally sucks for everyone who wants the iPad. The media has gotten all over the delay, but once again... lack of any details from the local Apple dudes.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/343193/apple_delays_ipad_australian_release/

decryption
15th April 2010, 09:56 AM
No, you can purchase them now with your AU iTunes account through iTunes on your computer (the AU App store is not yet available on iPad and won't be until launch), and they sync as normal.

If you get a US account and start buying apps, you lock yourself forever into a cycle of switching accounts to update apps, so I'm avoiding it.

This is correct - buy all your iPad apps from the AU store on your Mac and sync your iPad to get the apps on there. I have about $70 of apps tied to my US store account and its going to be a pain in the arse when the AU iPad store launches :(

tcn33
15th April 2010, 09:58 AM
You can already buy iPad apps from the AU store - I have about twenty of them already. The only US apps I have are ones you can't get here (Netflix, ABC, iBooks).

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 10:02 AM
The only US apps I have are ones you can't get here (Netflix, ABC, iBooks).

And maybe Mirror's Edge? I tried to download that last night and got "not available in your country". :(

icant
15th April 2010, 10:04 AM
This thread so far: Fuck you Apple for not letting us buy your product in timely fashion. Now, I will have to hold on to my money for a bit longer.

This shortage & “ebay profiteering” only means that Apple underpriced the initial batch of iPads. Of course no one here wants to consider that: We only whinge that prices are high. When prices are overly low, we whinge when there’s a shortage. If Apple instead had higher release prices, and then reduce prices after the initial rush: cue the whinging again (e.g. iPhone) “... screw loyal customers, fuck you.”. (roll eyes).

Conspiracy theory #1: That Apple doesn’t want to sell their products to you. Think about that for a second.

---

Faced with the iPad selling a lot better than we thought a giant iPod touch would, we have decided as always to not give a shit about the rest of the world. The US is the world and the rest of you will have to wait for the crumbs

Coming next, Conspiracy theory #2: that Apple wants to keep hype high by limiting supply, ŕ la Nintendo Wii etc.

FFS, 1. it’s a hardware rollout of a Rev A product. International hardware rollouts without delays are a pleasant surprise, not a norm. The whinging doesn’t have to be the norm. 2. In 6 months no one will remember (Remember the time before the Australian iTunes Store? Oh, of course I’m sure every one of you is an iPad developer... Think of the developers!).

Rust
15th April 2010, 10:04 AM
Ohhh ok so what your saying is i can buy them all on iTunes with my AU account (not off the device) and then sync them over to the iPad? That way i avoid having to setup a US iTunes account?

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 10:06 AM
This is correct - buy all your iPad apps from the AU store on your Mac and sync your iPad to get the apps on there. I have about $70 of apps tied to my US store account and its going to be a pain in the arse when the AU iPad store launches :(

Damn.... I used US gift cards to buy 60$ worth last night on my US account. Bah humbug!

tcn33
15th April 2010, 10:08 AM
Ohhh ok so what your saying is i can buy them all on iTunes with my AU account (not off the device) and then sync them over to the iPad? That way i avoid having to setup a US iTunes account?

Bingo.

iTy
15th April 2010, 10:08 AM
And we'll bask in the glory of our 3G models :p

That's the beauty of Apple products. I should be able to sell this on eBay for a pretty good price. Its all about timing. Apple products on eBay sell like crack.

Having said that, I'm probably going to stick with the WiFi model since I'll be getting the portable router and will JB my iPhone for MyWi.

Just waiting for a JB on OS4

If i do get 3G envy, then this iPad will be relegated to my other half ;)

Rust
15th April 2010, 10:11 AM
Bingo.

Awesome! Thanks for the info :)
I think i'll push to get one from my friend in the US now...Probably end up being cheaper as well because im going to pay a direct conversion rate minues the mark up.

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 10:15 AM
What you can't do is buy the iPad apps that are currently exclusive to the USA - such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote. On the other hand you can buy and "freebie" a bag load of apps that are iPad specific here on the Aus store.

Good hunting!

u98925
15th April 2010, 10:25 AM
The media has gotten all over the delay...

Yep, interesting comment here (http://www.photocounter.com.au/photocounter/site/articleIDs/9C29B61A71FBA92ECA257705007B6405) regarding flash memory.

Stez
15th April 2010, 10:25 AM
Dammit! This settles it, I will first check if I know any people in the US, the online stores shipping to AUS, then eBay. Seriously Apple? F**k you!

Aladdin
15th April 2010, 10:36 AM
What you can't do is buy the iPad apps that are currently exclusive to the USA - such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote. On the other hand you can buy and "freebie" a bag load of apps that are iPad specific here on the Aus store.

Good hunting!

And iBooks too, I thought (no way of checking as I don't have an iPad myself . . . yet).

Shintaro
15th April 2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe it's worthwile flying to the states & join in on the profiteering on eBay.

Bart Smastard
15th April 2010, 10:52 AM
On the plus side; there's another months salary and the chance that the AUD will either match the USD or maybe even surpass it and we can get iPads cheaper than having them brought in from the US by iPad mules :)

MizuInOz
15th April 2010, 10:53 AM
And iBooks too, I thought (no way of checking as I don't have an iPad myself . . . yet).
You are right. But I am waiting to buy iBooks once it hits Oz. Unless I am in the States on business - which just may happen with all this kurfuffle. I will be in Hawaii if I decide to go.

Cheers!

motef
15th April 2010, 11:08 AM
Faarrkk Apple.

I am making a pilgrimage to Sydney in late April to recieve a Scholarship i won for Uni and was planning on going straight from the presentation to the Apple Store with my cash and awarding myself an iPad.

What am i going to do now?

dtmross
15th April 2010, 11:15 AM
Don't really know what to say now - i have family coming back from the states in a few hours with my 32GB iPad.

Its a bit hard to comprehend that they weren't able to get stock over here in time, if that is the real reason.

i was told that yes, the stores in the US were busy everywhere... but a few days after launch you could easily walk in and grab one.

i wonder if this delay will have any influence on the australian pricing!

Snow Leopard
15th April 2010, 11:20 AM
This is insane! I only had the touch and was ready to sell it to get the iPad... I could do with nothing for a week or two, but lucky I held on! This Sucks!!!!! This is really the iPhone 1G of 2010. It never came to Australia.

decryption
15th April 2010, 11:22 AM
Maybe it's worthwile flying to the states & join in on the profiteering on eBay.

I have been doing some math on this, hah

GETTING TO THE USA
Return flight from Melbourne to LA (cheaper than Honolulu) - $1300
Accommodation for 6 nights - $500
Other spending cash/food/taxis etc. - $300
$2,100

BUYING THE IPADS
California sales tax - 8.5%
Credit card surcharge & currency conversion - roughly 2%
AU$600 for the 16GB iPad

GETTING THE IPADS INTO AUSTRALIA
Post out the iPads directly from the USA, so you don't have to do it when you get back, and you don't have to pay GST & duty when you land in Australia with 21 iPads. It will cost US$60 to send it vis USPS (including packaging bubbles and a box) and take 5 business days to arrive in Australia. For US$110 it can be sent via a USPS as well and take 3 days.

HOW MUCH WOULD AN IPAD COST AN AUSTRALIAN?
So the total "cost" price for the iPad is AU$600 + AU$67 for postage. If you were to charge AU$780 inc. delivery for a 16GB iPad, you'd be making roughly AU$110 per iPad.

POTENTIAL ISSUES
Issue one Homeland Security asking "why are you only here for two nights?" - they don't like that. You'd need to stay for at least a week or so not to raise suspicion. They aren't the friendliest people :(

If you charge $100 "profit" per iPad, that means you need to get your hands on 21 iPads to recoup the cost of travelling there, let alone make some profit. That's challenge #2. You can get 10 easily enough, as there's 5 stores in Los Angeles, and you can get 2 per person. You can maybe go back a few days later and buy 10 more if the staff don't remember you. There's also Best Buy stores with *some* stock I think - I wouldn't rely on it though.

You just need to make sure you can go to the 5 Apple stores over and over and get iPads without anyone realising "hey, this guy is reselling them".

If you can get the first 21 iPads - the rest of the iPads after that are $100 profit each. If you're there for 6 days, you could spend 3 days buying iPads, getting 10 each day. You'd be able to make about $900-$1000 in "profit". I guess it depends how you go obtaining the iPads and what stock in LA is like for the time you're there.

I thought way too long about this to avoid doing proper work, hah

dotnet
15th April 2010, 11:37 AM
I'm fairly sure that "US demand" is not the real reason for this delay, there must be something else going on (I'm thinking hardware mods and fixes).

US demand isn't going to taper off any time soon, since the rest of the world is being supplied through US stores. Only that a huge gaggle of crooks and gougers can now make a lot of money on the side. It would be silly for Apple not to see this.

Cheers
Steffen.

Bart Smastard
15th April 2010, 11:39 AM

GETTING TO THE USA
$2,100

BUYING THE IPADS
AU$600 for the 16GB iPad

Post out the iPads directly from the USA, so you don't have to do it when you get back, and you don't have to pay GST & duty when you land in Australia with 21 iPads. It will cost US$60 to send it vis USPS (including packaging bubbles and a box) and take 5 business days to arrive in Australia. For US$110 it can be sent via a USPS as well and take 3 days.

So the total "cost" price for the iPad is AU$600 + AU$67 for postage. If you were to charge AU$780 inc. delivery for a 16GB iPad, you'd be making roughly AU$110 per iPad.

POTENTIAL ISSUES
Issue one Homeland Security asking "why are you only here for two nights?" - they don't like that. You'd need to stay for at least a week or so not to raise suspicion. They aren't the friendliest people :(

If you charge $100 "profit" per iPad, that means you need to get your hands on 21 iPads to recoup the cost of travelling there, let alone make some profit. That's challenge #2. You can get 10 easily enough, as there's 5 stores in Los Angeles, and you can get 2 per person. You can maybe go back a few days later and buy 10 more if the staff don't remember you. There's also Best Buy stores with *some* stock I think - I wouldn't rely on it though.

You just need to make sure you can go to the 5 Apple stores over and over and get iPads without anyone realising "hey, this guy is reselling them".

If you can get the first 21 iPads - the rest of the iPads after that are $100 profit each. If you're there for 6 days, you could spend 3 days buying iPads, getting 10 each day. You'd be able to make about $900-$1000 in "profit". I guess it depends how you go obtaining the iPads and what stock in LA is like for the time you're there.

You're just adding to the problem!
I'm sick to death of eBay sellers and their markups... almost as sick to death as I am of eBay buyers who are stupid enough to pay these prices. Can anyone explain to me why a 2 year old 2nd hand 40GB AppleTV should sell for just $60 less than a new 160GB (and that's before the postage costs are added on)?

Leopard
15th April 2010, 11:41 AM
What a load of SHIT...Didnt know how popular it would be,everyone one else did!First of all Fuck up the 27 iMac new Macbooks problems coming soon,and now this.Its all about $$$$$$$$.Preorder and pricing same day,what does that tell you....

GO FUCK YOURSELF APPLE!!!

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 11:43 AM
http://benstineman.com/stuff/waambulance.jpg

Hop right in.

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 11:44 AM
You're just adding to the problem!
I'm sick to death of eBay sellers and their markups... almost as sick to death as I am of eBay buyers who are stupid enough to pay these prices. Can anyone explain to me why a 2 year old 2nd hand 40GB AppleTV should sell for just $60 less than a new 160GB (and that's before the postage costs are added on)?

Some people have not a lot of choice.

i live out in the country and can't just walk down to an Apple store or such, Ebay is my lifeline to technology and I get things much cheaper than in the overpriced shops out here in the country.

So we are not all losers who decide to pay over rated prices. If you don't like Ebay then don't shop there.

i for one couldn't live without it!

lavo
15th April 2010, 11:58 AM
Look at it differently. Apple aren't staggering the release to the UK, then Europe, then Japan, then Australia. They are hitting the rest of the world on the same day. So even though you can walk in to a US Apple Store and pick one up, it doesn't mean Apple have enough stock for the rest of the world for a late April launch. Yes, its a pain that they aren't available at the end of this month, but the bad PR for Apple would be much worse if they can't fulfill even pre-orders for the new iPad!

Shintaro
15th April 2010, 11:59 AM

GETTING TO THE USA
$2,100

BUYING THE IPADS
AU$600 for the 16GB iPad

POTENTIAL ISSUES

I'd probably look at staying 2 weeks, maybe.
Hell, I'd be happy if I could make enough to cover the flight cost plus get 2 ipads for my own use.

On a side note, the 3G models are unlocked right?

MacRobbo
15th April 2010, 12:12 PM
well, i wasnt intending to even think about getting an iPad until at least V2, so at least we will have the iPhone 4, should that not be delayed..

kevinnugent
15th April 2010, 12:16 PM
On a side note, the 3G models are unlocked right?

Supposedly. Two weeks in LA? I'd go mad! ;)

Bart Smastard
15th April 2010, 12:17 PM
Some people have not a lot of choice.

i live out in the country and can't just walk down to an Apple store or such, Ebay is my lifeline to technology and I get things much cheaper than in the overpriced shops out here in the country.

So we are not all losers who decide to pay over rated prices. If you don't like Ebay then don't shop there.

i for one couldn't live without it!

Sure, in some cases eBay is a great place to snap up a bargain but in others I think people need to not get so caught up in the bidding and think about the true value of the item they're after. In the case of the AppleTV I referred to, even if you live in the country Apple will ship a brand new, larger capacity model to you for free, where I think the postage on the eBay item was about $30.

And, for what it's worth, I canceled my eBay account a few years ago. I just happened to have a look there the other week as I thought things might have improved... they hadn't.

nibbles
15th April 2010, 12:29 PM

What do you class as proper work?

splinteredmind
15th April 2010, 12:37 PM
Well, I feel a bit better about ordering one from the US last week... Should be here on the 19th :)

tobico
15th April 2010, 12:45 PM
So what they're basically saying is that every single person in the US, no matter how long they waited to buy an iPad, has priority over everyone outside the US. I can understand how they might think it makes business sense to delay "launching" here until there is enough stock to sell heaps, but it's still very frustrating. Would be nice if they could at least give some priority to international developers so we can actually start testing iPad apps now instead of being held back indefinitely (Yes, it's only one month more, but it sets a precedent - who knows how long it will be before we actually see them).

I also wonder how this relates to availability of the 3G units. Is the US still going to see 3G in late April, or is 3G the true cause of all the delays?

Vojtin
15th April 2010, 12:46 PM
I wanna an iPad who will sell it to me? :-)

time4magik
15th April 2010, 01:10 PM
GOD DAMIT APPLE!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCCK DID WE DO TO YOU??? YOU WILL STILL GET SALES FROM US IF YOU RELEASED IT TO US INSTEAD OF US?!! MAKE THE FUCKING AMERICANS WAIT! REALLY DISSIPOINTED, WE ARE MILKED OUT TO PAYING THE HIGH END PRICES FOR APPLE PRODUCTS AND WE SUPPORT APPLE GREATLY (for a small contry) and this is how you repay us?!!!!!!

MacMatt
15th April 2010, 01:13 PM
GOD DAMIT APPLE!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCCK DID WE DO TO YOU??? YOU WILL STILL GET SALES FROM US IF YOU RELEASED IT TO US INSTEAD OF US?!! MAKE THE FUCKING AMERICANS WAIT! REALLY DISSIPOINTED, WE ARE MILKED OUT TO PAYING THE HIGH END PRICES FOR APPLE PRODUCTS AND WE SUPPORT APPLE GREATLY (for a small contry) and this is how you repay us?!!!!!!

I can understand your disappointment, but Anger, I can not.

Rust
15th April 2010, 01:28 PM
YouTube - Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc)

DanGleibitz
15th April 2010, 02:10 PM
GOD DAMIT APPLE!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCCK...

http://www.mytowncrier.ca/thumbpic/story/story_NY_Tantrum2.jpg

dtmross
15th April 2010, 02:12 PM
You have to remember here that apple is just like any other business, they don't really 'owe' it to you to get these products here 'on time' - whenever that is.

Apple is also an american business. It is obvious that the products would be released there first, and very acceptable that there may be some sort of delay in supplying (literally) hundreds of thousands of units to the rest of the world.

If it's delayed, then it's delayed.

thats awesome
15th April 2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone is getting awfully upset about a one month delay.

Lets remember, this isn't the fist time Apple has favored the USA over the rest of the world, we didn't even get the original iPhone.

I think waiting a year for the 3G iPhone is far worse than waiting a month for the iPad.

Stez
15th April 2010, 02:28 PM
Just ordered my Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB iPad for $850 off of eBay!

vecsty
15th April 2010, 02:32 PM
Prediction: Someone will set up a web site, telling the world just how angry he/she is at Apple.
: The web site will use Flash.

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Just ordered my Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB iPad for $850 off of eBay!

You will be waiting for it's release then? the 3G version isn't out in the US yet???

Tejas
15th April 2010, 03:16 PM
i just bit the bullet and ordered a kindle. all i would use an ipad for is books anyway

Bart Smastard
15th April 2010, 03:33 PM
YouTube - Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc)

OMG! That's messed up. I love how he suddenly calms down after being told to shut up. Bizarre.

How soon will we see Hitler's rant (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hitler+ipad&aq=f)? :D

Stez
15th April 2010, 03:54 PM
You will be waiting for it's release then? the 3G version isn't out in the US yet???

Yep. I was always going to get the 3G model. This is just a slight inconvenience that'll cost me about $100 as opposed to buying it when it comes out in AUS and also getting it a few days later after the 3G's launch. So for me not that much of a bad case scenario for me, because I know many people waited and waited for Wi-Fi model and now are getting shafted again. TBH I think it won't be released in AUS. The 3G model will come out in US with high demand, it'll be late in the product cycle, and Apple will just shaft AUS all together. But then again, it's probably not that likely seeing as pre-orders are apparently happening on the 10th.

TheKeddi
15th April 2010, 04:22 PM
Yep. I was always going to get the 3G model. This is just a slight inconvenience that'll cost me about $100 as opposed to buying it when it comes out in AUS and also getting it a few days later after the 3G's launch. So for me not that much of a bad case scenario for me, because I know many people waited and waited for Wi-Fi model and now are getting shafted again. TBH I think it won't be released in AUS. The 3G model will come out in US with high demand, it'll be late in the product cycle, and Apple will just shaft AUS all together. But then again, it's probably not that likely seeing as pre-orders are apparently happening on the 10th.

Ahh coool, Yeah I have mine already, the Wi-Fi, I have no need of 3G out here in the country!!
Your gonna love it!!!! You can't tell people what it's really like until they hold it themselves. I keep saying that, but yeah, it's true!!!

nbetts
15th April 2010, 04:46 PM
I ordered a 64gig on eBay. $1049. Yep i am paying a premium. I kinda dont care. I am doing some travelling and really wanted it for that. I will then sell it when i get back and the 3G version is released and consider it paying rent on an item i want now.

I reckon i might be renting it for $200 or there abouts. over a potential 6-8 wekk period that doesnt bother me.

rivervalley
15th April 2010, 05:25 PM
As someone above said " . . if they sell overseas they still get the sale"

Well i guess the worlds biggest generator of consumerist economic stimulus are be the ones to go back into hock as they pile more credit on their cards. More time for us to investigate the WePad. and even if we stay with the iPad there's a glimmer of a chance it may be up-specc'd in small ways like the YIKES! G4, for exactly the same reason for those who remember.

perhaps a card reader? PixelQi screen? closer to newer OS release could bring forth something...
anyway i can wait, i've just had my Macbook stolen, so i'm not buying back into that scene

jimdrum
15th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Curse you Apple we liked you so much better when you made beige computers and had a rainbow in your logo, before you gave in to the dark side and turned your logo black. Damn you for gaining marketshare with your alternate universe fancy technology gadgets. We spit on your turtlenecked master while salivating at the pretty shiny things we must caress. Oh yes we must touch and slide, undress and covet your soft curves and thin form factors. How we suffer for our infatuations, our unrequited loves - 30 more sweaty disturbed sleeps before we can whisper our deepest fantasies in your usb port and run our finger tips over your silky surfaces. While we watch as our american counterparts have their way with you, our desire only burns hotter... even though you treat us so bad - we want you, we love you, we must have you.

Thanks, bennettnz! Made my day reading this!

time4magik
15th April 2010, 05:33 PM
Yer im gonna buy this one of ebay: Brand New Apple iPad 16GB WiFi Ship By Express - eBay, Apple Laptops, Computers. (end time 14-May-10 23:10:48 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270563421579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2618wt_941)
tell me what you think about it

woofy
15th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Actually not the first time, anyone remember the ipod mini delays? powerbook delays?

Oh I completely forgot about that. I ordered it in April and got it in Sept? then a month later the revised version came out....was so pissed. That was my first ever Apple product.

Not to mention I had just started a new job that ended the end of that year and wanted the mini for walking to work. By the time I got it, I was leaving it soon and didn't need it so much anymore.

twadds
16th April 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm heading to the US on the 26th of April, I'm happy to get iPads for any MacTalkers who are keen to get it sooner rather than later (up to a point - I won't be able to get 20 iPads decryption style).

PM me if you want might be interested ;)

I just wanna help get this device into those who deserve it now.

Fedgrub
16th April 2010, 10:35 AM
Anyone know or heard rumours of when the 3G iPads are meant to ship throughout the USA?

If this two week return blockout theory rings true here, I suspect the date of shipment may be announced on Monday (their time)

eds3028
16th April 2010, 12:43 PM
How do you get the ABC, Netflicks etc to work in australia?

tom5955
16th April 2010, 01:00 PM
How do you get the ABC, Netflicks etc to work in australia?

I'm pretty sure you need a netflicks account in order to watch any movies from there. But the ABC one you just get an American iTunes account to download it and watch? I don't know whether it actually detects where you are from when you are using it though.

tcn33
16th April 2010, 01:10 PM
It does. You need a VPN.

msilsby
16th April 2010, 03:20 PM
I think that far too many people are forgetting that Apple is an American company. Yes they sell products worldwide, but they are developed for the American market. As such, it is only fair that they sell them in America where they are already able to. Don't forget that European certification is still to come, which is why you are seeing stories in the web about the Israeli government confiscating them. I suspect that they simply shrugged their shoulders when they hadn't gotten certification from Europe and went "oh well, we will wait for international release - by about a month or so".

Plus, as others have pointed out, the delay is not necessarily a bad thing as it allows bugs and horror stories to come out long before we get our sweaty fan-boy/girl hands on them.

As an aside, it seems that this hasn't really affected the shipping date of the wifi/3g models, just the wifi model, and considering that everyone I know who wants one is getting the 3g model, no harm, no foul.

tom5955
16th April 2010, 03:24 PM
I think that far too many people are forgetting that Apple is an American company. Yes they sell products worldwide, but they are developed for the American market. As such, it is only fair that they sell them in America where they are already able to. Don't forget that European certification is still to come, which is why you are seeing stories in the web about the Israeli government confiscating them. I suspect that they simply shrugged their shoulders when they hadn't gotten certification from Europe and went "oh well, we will wait for international release - by about a month or so".

Plus, as others have pointed out, the delay is not necessarily a bad thing as it allows bugs and horror stories to come out long before we get our sweaty fan-boy/girl hands on them.

As an aside, it seems that this hasn't really affected the shipping date of the wifi/3g models, just the wifi model, and considering that everyone I know who wants one is getting the 3g model, no harm, no foul.

It has affected the shipping date of the 3G as well. Both were to be released in Australia in Late April (at the same time) before the delay. It wasn't going to be like they did in the US, a month apart.

Tiprya
16th April 2010, 06:08 PM
... European certification is still to come, which is why you are seeing stories in the web about the Israeli government confiscating them. ...

Since when has Israel been in Europe?

haydio
16th April 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm heading to the US on the 26th of April, I'm happy to get iPads for any MacTalkers who are keen to get it sooner rather than later (up to a point - I won't be able to get 20 iPads decryption style).

PM me if you want might be interested ;)

I just wanna help get this device into those who deserve it now.

Interested, I've added you on MSN.

BoxDog
20th April 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm heading over to the US around 18-19 may to San Jose and of course am planning to stock up on iPads. I could of course accomodate a few more into my luggage if anyone is interested. PM me.

Steve

Devil rolla
20th April 2010, 11:28 AM
reports in the US are saying apple is trying to stop the "export" from the US of iPads and is limiting the number of iPads an iTunes account can access. They have also set a lifetime limit of ipads per account because of the scalping, and that seems to be two, from reports.

bartron
20th April 2010, 11:40 AM
reports in the US are saying apple is trying to stop the "export" from the US of iPads and is limiting the number of iPads an iTunes account can access. They have also set a lifetime limit of ipads per account because of the scalping, and that seems to be two, from reports.

Apple could kill that today by releasing the iPad internationally. I stand by my statement before...of course demand in the US will be high, it's the only place you can get one.

I don't think the demand internationally would be AS high if Apple simply stated that supply/manufacturing can't keep up and international release was delayed to ensure stock availability.

It will really really suck if iPads started to be held in customs (US or elsewhere) at Apples behest though...if it comes to that I'd be mighty p'd not only because of inconvenience (I have one on order) but on a pure douchbaggery level on Apple's part.

Devil rolla
20th April 2010, 11:47 AM
barton, my post was more aimed at people saying they will buy iPad's for others, when they might only be able to buy 2 per account. That's all. Don't want people to get cut/burnt/pissed etc etc.

bartron
20th April 2010, 11:52 AM
barton, my post was more aimed at people saying they will buy iPad's for others, when they might only be able to buy 2 per account. That's all. Don't want people to get cut/burnt/pissed etc etc.

Oh...I wasn't replying to you directly...just using your quote. :)

I've read a few reports already of people that have reached their 'lifetime supply' of iPads.

While I don't think Apple can stop international export once someone has it in their hands it would really suck if they tried to.

alvse
20th April 2010, 04:21 PM
If all goes well, I will have an iPad in my oily hands by next Friday :D

keeping my fingers crossed that my source pulls through :p

now... to get a case before it arrives....

WindowsVista
20th April 2010, 04:35 PM
If all goes well, I will have an iPad in my oily hands by next Friday :D

keeping my fingers crossed that my source pulls through :p

now... to get a case before it arrives....
I'm in the same boat as you. Ohhh it's a nervous wait :D My case came today!

alvse
20th April 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Ohhh it's a nervous wait :D My case came today!

What case did you get? I was thinking of just getting a cheap o ebay case temporarily till something better comes out.