PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a 13" MBP to be used for photo editing please

felixthekat
14th April 2010, 09:18 PM
Hi all

I'm looking at buying a new MBP and appreciate some feedback from other photographers. I was thinking about the 13" (the 2.4ghz) just for portability (eg travelling etc). However, I'm hoping to do some photo editing (either Photoshop or Lightroom) on the computer.

Questions

- would the 13" be suitable in terms of the size of the screen for photo editing? I understand that there would be some sacrifice over picture size and the lack of option to get anti glare for example.
- would the base model 13" be powerful enough for photo editing software like Photoshop or lightroom? Am I better off forking out for the 2.66ghz 13"? or using that money for more memory or a better harddrive?

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated!

Stez
14th April 2010, 09:21 PM
CS5 will not support 13'' displays. I reckon get a 15'' anyway.

leon
14th April 2010, 09:28 PM
To be honest, the 13" screen just becomes annoying as a primary screen day in day out. I was able to tolerate my 13" screen for about 5-6 months before getting a 23" Cinema Display to use at work during the day.

Photoshop on a 13" screen is for "emergencies" only. It just isn't big enough for day to day use. I find the 15" a little bit too small, but more tolerable than the 13". When the wife's 17" Powerbook was running that was a dream to use.

If you get the 13", then an external screen is a must for when your not on a plane or public transport.

AnthoMac
14th April 2010, 11:57 PM
The 15" is a nice form factor especially when you can get an anti-glare higher res option. For those who mention that you can simply plug this into the monitor, yes you can. But when you're not near one (which I suspect for someone who's considering a portable) then you'll thank the extra screen estate.

Photoshop can run on today's C2D processors with ease. I'd say the screen size factor and RAM will be the most of your concerns.

If you decide to get a larger 15" computer, get a Booq sleeve (or similar) along with your computer and enjoy carting around your 'companion'!

gareth
15th April 2010, 12:28 AM
CS5 will not support 13'' displays.

Where you read this?

avolve
15th April 2010, 01:16 AM
I have had a 12", 15" and 17". I found the 17" way too big (portability), the 12" way too small (screen real estate)and the 15" a little too big.

I think the 13" is a great size. I will be getting one myself. It will have plenty of grunt for what you want

thenewblack
15th April 2010, 01:21 AM
Where you read this?

It's stated in the system requirements of Adobe CS5 that 1280 x 900 is the minimum resolution - which effectively cuts out every 13 inch MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air (all 1280 x 800 maximum resolution). So basically, Adobe has ensured NONE of these Macbooks will run CS5's 1280 x 900 minimum resolution.

thenewblack
15th April 2010, 10:06 AM
When I first checked the system requirements for the Creative Suite and Master Suite, they both stated the requirement of a 1280 x 900 minimum resolution. I didn't check the individual applications. Thankfully now, while the Master Suite requirements still say 1280 x 900, the Creative Suite now states 1280 x 800.