PDA

View Full Version : Ip Routing

Wheels
30th August 2005, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

This may seem like a very easy question to you people but I really don't know much about websites. I am trying to access my computer by typing in my external IP address in Safari but it directs to my router interface when this is typed so how do I get it to access my computer not the router?

Thanks,
Wheels8989

soul assasin
30th August 2005, 07:43 PM
You need to activate port forwarding from your router to your computer's local IP.

This can be done in the router settings which you should be able to access through your routers address in safari.

Wheels
30th August 2005, 07:56 PM
Sorry but I have to put what the start port and the end port. Is this port 80? And is the server IP my local IP address for my computer? Also what is the DMZ Server? Do i just leave it blank?

SCREENSHOT= http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2626/portforwarding0xv.png (http://imageshack.us)

dangelovich
30th August 2005, 08:29 PM
This is relatively normal behaviour. I have the exact same thing here, and I have port forwarding set up properly.
I just access my computer directly (127.0.0.1) and get random online people (IRC is a good place to ask) to access the external site to make sure it's accessible.

Wheels
30th August 2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by wheels8989@Aug 30 2005, 07:56 PM
Sorry but I have to put what the start port and the end port. Is this port 80? And is the server IP my local IP address for my computer? Also what is the DMZ Server? Do i just leave it blank?
*bump*

jobe
30th August 2005, 08:57 PM
you need loopback functionality which VERY FEW routers actually support these days... mainly because it is for the most part, useless. I have the same problem, if I try to ftp to my external IP address from inside the network, it actually tries to open an FTP connection to the router and NOT to the ftp server that is now working 100%.

What is loopback? well think of it this way... essentially, you are trying to make a connection from inside, to outside, to inside again. However your router looks at the destination of outgoing packets and says, "Hey, that's me". It cannot forward them because port forwarding by design [without loopback] forwards packets from external networks to internal networks. Port forwarding does not apply to packets originating internally.

jobe
30th August 2005, 09:06 PM
ok I will elaborate some more. Whist you cannot connect to your computer using the external IP, you can always connect to it fine using the internal IP (192.168.X.X).

As for port forwarding, if it's just basic HTTP access you want then port 80, FTP = 20 and 21 etc. Just google for them because I cannot remember TCP or UDP for FTP.

Wheels
30th August 2005, 09:15 PM
OK,
Thanks a lot

Wheels8989

notb4dinner
30th August 2005, 09:45 PM
For testing you can use a web proxy such as www.unipeak.com to check that you can connect from outside.

kungfucamel
30th August 2005, 10:12 PM
www.portforward.com for specific guides on programs and routers that will guide you with screenshots on setting up port forwarding.

W2ttsy
30th August 2005, 10:29 PM
the start port is the public port you want users to connect thru (the default is 80 for HTTP). the end port is the private port, which will be 80 (for HTTP to point to your apache server). you then need to set the server IP to that of your machine.
you can get this information by typing
ifconfig into the terminal, and then looking for your active ethernet device. most likely en0 if its wired or en1 if its wireless.

restart your router, and you should have your port forwarding working. feel free to add me to iChat or PM me if you would like some testing help.

also, the loopback is only really useful if you are using a localhost, and you cant use it as a network IP, unless you are looping back to the router?

W2ttsy