PDA

View Full Version : Local Mac store thinks Wifi only first

PCKid
14th April 2010, 05:57 PM
Not sure where the original thread came from that said we would get the WiFi and 3G at the same time but my local Mac store gave me the impression when I rang that the 3G will be some time after the WiFi release. So I guess I'll just have to grind my teeth and wait. It seems to make sense as why would USA have the two separate release dates (still not available there) but Australia not?

wolfie
14th April 2010, 06:26 PM
apple said itll be released at the same time.

PCKid
14th April 2010, 06:53 PM
I still don't know how to add a quote from another thread so to Wolfie, not that I disbelieve you, but where did Apple Australia say that they would be released together?

MightyAtom
14th April 2010, 07:17 PM
but where did Apple Australia say that they would be released together?

Apple Australia didn't say it, Steve Jobs did. When the iPad was introduced Steve explicitly stated both the WiFi and 3G models would be released internationally together in late April.

Edit: Okay Apple Australia also said it.

decryption
14th April 2010, 07:18 PM
"iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available in Australia in late April. Pricing will be announced at the time of availability."

iPad Available in Australia in late April (http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/03/05ipad.html)

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 07:20 PM
Anthony,

You have mentioned a bit on the podcast your thoughts of missing 3G connectivity with your current model, after using it more than a week now do you think you really need the 3G connection, or is Wifi enough (Maybe Mifi instead?)

svale
14th April 2010, 07:46 PM
"iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available in Australia in late April. Pricing will be announced at the time of availability."

iPad Available in Australia in late April (http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/03/05ipad.html)

If Apple still stands by that, then I'd say it's a safe bet that unlike the US, we won't know the prices in advance and probably won't be given the option to pre-order. My guess is first come, first served when Apple flicks the Store switch later this month.

DomDom
14th April 2010, 07:50 PM
Anthony,

You have mentioned a bit on the podcast your thoughts of missing 3G connectivity with your current model, after using it more than a week now do you think you really need the 3G connection, or is Wifi enough (Maybe Mifi instead?)

Yes,

This is something I would like to know too.

Dom

decryption
14th April 2010, 07:58 PM
I want 3G - most def.

PCKid
14th April 2010, 08:41 PM
I want 3G - most def.

Me too. Nothing less. In Perth, so don't know what Wifi Hotspots are like in the rest of the country but in WA there's Macas (don't go there), The City (don't go there) and Uni's (don't go there way too old). So WiFi only once I leave home is not a option. Can't see that MiFi is a solution unless you have multiple devices then it would be worth it.

I feel that a lot of the ones who opt for WiFi only will regret it after a few weeks.

Stez
14th April 2010, 08:43 PM
Me too. Nothing less. In Perth, so don't know what Wifi Hotspots are like in the rest of the country but in WA there's Macas (don't go there), The City (don't go there) and Uni's (don't go there way too old). So WiFi only once I leave home is not a option. Can't see that MiFi is a solution unless you have multiple devices then it would be worth it.

I feel that a lot of the ones who opt for WiFi only will regret it after a few weeks.

Yep. I always owned an iPod Touch but hated not being able to utilise it's features fully because of no 3G. Now I can surf the net, chat to friends on Facebook, and check emails in the car and everywhere else! EPIC!

homerjay
14th April 2010, 09:02 PM
well i have a wifi iPad Thanks Mr Mule:)
i don't think i will buy a 3G iPad or really need it. have wifi around my house and that's the reason i bought it. if i need the net when i leave the house i have the iPhone.

El Guardo
14th April 2010, 09:09 PM
My local Mac store gave me the impression when I rang that the 3G will be some time after the WiFi release.

Hopefully you'll no longer frequent your local Mac store.

alextrob
14th April 2010, 09:29 PM
well i have a wifi iPad Thanks Mr Mule:)
i don't think i will buy a 3G iPad or really need it. have wifi around my house and that's the reason i bought it. if i need the net when i leave the house i have the iPhone.

I think this is what my situation will be like but I'd hate to get wifi-only then realise that 3G would be better. For me it will probably come down to how Apple prices the iPad for Australia.

Mickytk
14th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah, if the 3G models turn out to be too expensive it'd probably be more cost effective to get a wifi one and a mifi unit of some sort.

nando
14th April 2010, 09:43 PM
or JB the iphone ;)

PCKid
14th April 2010, 10:07 PM
Hopefully you'll no longer frequent your local Mac store.

Teee Heee. I think you are right. Not many choices in WA and they all seem fairly ordinary. Can't wait for the official store to open. One store I went into said this is what it will look like (like I didn't know!!) and held up an A4 piece of paper with a pencilled square on it with a small circle where the Home button would be. I was like WOW that is awesome. Let me give you loads of money for that.