PDA

View Full Version : LCD Issue Laptop - Non-Mac

bakeraus
14th April 2010, 12:27 PM
Howdy,

Please move post if it's the wrong area not sure where to put it on the forum.

I have a friend who gave me their laptop said the screen won't work. Thinking might be corrupt video drivers I took it on. Booted it up and got this...

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2166/img0010hy.jpg

So I tried to run to an external monitor which was okish looked like water all bubbly on the ex-display. I installed Windows 7 over the vista setup but it's got the same issue. I have never seen this issue you think it's video card or lcd display?

It's a Compaq Presario C700. It's a cheaper model so they aren't fussed if it's farked. :violins:

Thanks for the help Gents.

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 12:56 PM
LCD is gone/going, id hazzard a guess it is the connection between screen and MB

Byrd
14th April 2010, 01:22 PM
So I tried to run to an external monitor which was okish looked like water all bubbly on the ex-display.

Can you please describe this a little better - if the external display is outputting gibberish, it suggests a faulty video card or video RAM. Many HP and Compaq notebooks of this era suffer from faulty graphics (similar ilk to iBook G3 and G4s of the past), apart from a replacement motherboard or a "DIY" approach to putting a heatgun on the graphics chip, it's gone.

JB

bakeraus
14th April 2010, 01:26 PM
Well when outputting to the external monitor it's not solid pixels they are all wavy looks like liquid on it.

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 01:50 PM
Sounds like the external monitor is going too!

Does the monitor work with other computers properly?

bakeraus
14th April 2010, 01:53 PM
Sounds like the external monitor is going too!

Does the monitor work with other computers properly?

hahah I use my MBP and she works fine with the external monitor.

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 01:56 PM
Could be both the lcd and the video card in the laptop then. although i dont think the Video Card would be able to output anything at all if it was causing the issue in the photo on the laptop screen.

If you have nothing to lose why not crack it open and inspect the connection from lcd to the Video Card... give it a jiggle :-)

bakeraus
14th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Could be both the lcd and the video card in the laptop then. although i dont think the Video Card would be able to output anything at all if it was causing the issue in the photo on the laptop screen.

If you have nothing to lose why not crack it open and inspect the connection from lcd to the Video Card... give it a jiggle :-)

Will do. *grabs screw driver*

grfxninja
14th April 2010, 02:01 PM
give it a jiggle :-)

That'd be the technical term for it, right? :p

Brains
14th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, and so's the final verdict of "She's had the richard" :p

(In all seriousness, your symptoms describe one thing: someone's spilled something on it and let it soak in. Truly, it has snuffed it. Yank the hard drive, remove the RAM, bin the rest. The C700 series is a *really* cheap line of utter garbage.)

bakeraus
14th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, and so's the final verdict of "She's had the richard" :p

(In all seriousness, your symptoms describe one thing: someone's spilled something on it and let it soak in. Truly, it has snuffed it. Yank the hard drive, remove the RAM, bin the rest. The C700 series is a *really* cheap line of utter garbage.)

Hahaha yeah it's buggered pulled it a part and had a fiddle nothing when I turned it back on. Time show it to the sharks.

Balthazar
15th April 2010, 05:06 AM
Hahaha yeah it's buggered pulled it a part and had a fiddle nothing when I turned it back on. Time show it to the sharks.

I said Jiggle, not fiddle! ;)