PDA

View Full Version : please help me... WTF is Mi Fi?

auspad
14th April 2010, 12:38 AM
been doing a bit of reading up on mifi and i dont realy get how it affects things like netbooks and ipad users? can someone tell me what is is? if it is available in aus? and is is viable? and are there any other options?

thankyou in advance

NILcorp
14th April 2010, 01:09 AM
Does this answer your question:
VIRGIN Mobile Wi-fi Modem (E6939) | Dick Smith Online Store (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4bc488ef0593f8662741c0a87e010722/Product/View/E6939)

It's the Mi-Fi.

Lutze
14th April 2010, 01:54 AM
Layman terms

It's a portable wifi hotspot that uses 3G. Things like laptops and the wifi only iPad can connect to it via wifi and surf the information super freeway.

auspad
14th April 2010, 01:57 AM
Layman terms

It's a portable wifi hotspot that uses 3G. Things like laptops and the wifi only iPad can connect to it via wifi and surf the information super freeway.

is it quick? and is it available anyware n aus?

Lutze
14th April 2010, 02:06 AM
is it quick? and is it available anyware n aus?

It's reasonably fast, so I've heard. Bit it depends a lot on what network you use. Optarse and Vodabone are slower than Helstra.

Yes. They are available anywhere in Australia Internet shopping is a magical thing. Though, as the post before my first one shows you can buy from Virgin, for example.

auspad
14th April 2010, 02:10 AM
It's reasonably fast, so I've heard. Bit it depends a lot on what network you use. Optarse and Vodabone are slower than Helstra.

Yes. They are available anywhere in Australia Internet shopping is a magical thing. Though, as the post before my first one shows you can buy from Virgin, for example.

no lol what i meant was is there coverage for it anyware in aus and will it be faster than the 27klbps that i get now?

Jaste
14th April 2010, 06:22 AM
no lol what i meant was is there coverage for it anyware in aus and will it be faster than the 27klbps that i get now?

Coverage is the same as 3G mobile network so if you get good mobile coverage where you are, you should get the same speeds with the MiFi. It just takes your internet connection over the 3G signal in and converts it to WiFi so your laptop etc can connect without one of those little USB modems sticking out the side.

DaveOZ
14th April 2010, 07:23 AM
I have the MiFi 2372 which takes a Telstra NextG sim NOT BIGPOND ONES.

It is a brilliant little thing. I surfed constantly for 4 hours last night before I had to plug the charger in. The box even comes with interchangeable plugs for the mains charger including an Aussie one. It can also charge off USB.

The config software is browser based and is easy to use. You can configure the WiFi network how you like, I even did it off my iPhone

I was getting good speed on Telstra in Bowral of over 5Mbit. I will try it in the city today.

WiFi signal was good, I was able to connect with my Air two rooms away through full brick walls.

It's very small and light.

The reason I like this solution over a 3G iPad is that it means I can connect any device to it and the kids can even connect their iPods while we are in the car. When I am travelling I can just turn it on and 5 people can connect. I use this a lot when we are away racing for WiFi in the pit garage.

wilco440
14th April 2010, 09:53 AM
Hard to get a good grip on all this, and it will be handy when someone writes a definitive explanation.

If anyone can compare the various MiFi deals offered by all of our telcos here and suggest the better deals it would be useful. I might be cynical, but they all seem to be determined to make this as confusing as possible.....

My understanding is that here in Australia we need MiFi 2372, and a device like this will NOT work in the States (leaving aside the problem of trying to get a SIM card there for it!)? Does anyone make a truly 'universal' MiFi device yet?

Jaste
14th April 2010, 10:47 AM
Not a definative guide but heaps of good info on the MiFi and deals in this thread:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/81602-mifi-ipad.html

dopus
14th April 2010, 10:55 AM

It is a brilliant little thing. I surfed constantly for 4 hours last night before I had to plug the charger in. The box even comes with interchangeable plugs for the mains charger including an Aussie one. It can also charge off USB.

The config software is browser based and is easy to use. You can configure the WiFi network how you like, I even did it off my iPhone

I was getting good speed on Telstra in Bowral of over 5Mbit. I will try it in the city today.

WiFi signal was good, I was able to connect with my Air two rooms away through full brick walls.

The reason I like this solution over a 3G iPad is that it means I can connect any device to it and the kids can even connect their iPods while we are in the car. When I am travelling I can just turn it on and 5 people can connect. I use this a lot when we are away racing for WiFi in the pit garage.

Just curious, are you able to use this (or any of these units) prepay? I am thinking of the wifi only unit, and for the occasional use outside of wifi hotspots, prepay would be great. Regards.

Cybix
14th April 2010, 11:03 AM
do a search, there are many threads already re this.

Virgin have a good pre-pay package

auspad
14th April 2010, 11:17 AM

daveOZ you seem really happy with what you got can you tel me were you got it from? what plan you are using. and th price?

DaveOZ
14th April 2010, 02:42 PM
auspad,

I bought mine from HERE (http://shop.jetroam.com/products/novatel-wireless-mifi-2372).

I specifically wanted this model because it uses the 850 band used by Telstra NextG.

You can get the Virgin from Dick Smiths I think for $179 and pay to have it unlocked to use Optus SIMs. Here it is (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4bc547b00100c37e2740c0a87e010687/Product/View/E6939)

I have a $79/month 6Gb plan for wireless broadband with Telstra. I can vary this at any time.

auspad
14th April 2010, 08:28 PM
auspad,

I bought mine from HERE (http://shop.jetroam.com/products/novatel-wireless-mifi-2372).

I specifically wanted this model because it uses the 850 band used by Telstra NextG.

You can get the Virgin from Dick Smiths I think for $179 and pay to have it unlocked to use Optus SIMs. Here it is (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4bc547b00100c37e2740c0a87e010687/Product/View/E6939)

I have a $79/month 6Gb plan for wireless broadband with Telstra. I can vary this at any time.

not bad i might to pick one of those up we are currently getting 12Gb@ $79month for wireless LAN and it is so slow i want to shoot myself...

denash70
27th April 2010, 04:40 PM
I have a telstra mobile usb modem, can I take the SIM card out of that and put in a mifi2372??? Will it work, and if so anything else I have to do??

jcw
4th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Well, this is bad news regarding the mifi 2372:

Bell Novatel MiFi 2372 deemed unsafe for human use, recalled -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/bell-novatel-mifi-2372-deemed-unsafe-for-human-use-recalled/)

Potentially explosive Li-Ion batteries... And the official replacement is, of course, a USB stick, incompatible with iPad. Goodo...

On the up side, it's a developing story. Maybe only applies to a small number of units in the US? Only Bell-branded versions? Time will tell.

dodgey
5th May 2010, 12:09 AM
Harvey Norman has the Virgin Pre Paid one for $150.

Internode carries the Novatel Mifi unlocked, but more exxy. It's the 2352 (not the Next-G one)

The Huawei E5832 (Virgin) and the 2352 uses the 900/2100MHz range, while the 2372 uses the 850/2100MHz (I think) There is also a Huawei unit E5830 that you can get from the UK, but they only support the 2100MHz range.

Basically, it is a wireless router but instead of an ADSL connection, you use the 3G connection.

I have the Virgin one, and for me it works very well. Out of the box, it supports up to 3 devices connected to it via wireless-g. You can find other firmware that will take that up to 5 devices. The Novatel ones (2352 and 2372) support up to 5 devices out of the box and are unlocked. The Virgin one is locked to Virgin only, so if you are on Optus, you still need to unlock it.

Battery lasts for 4 hours approx. It will basically change a wifi ipad to a 3G one ;)

Rust
5th May 2010, 09:42 AM
I posted this in another thread but i'll post it here as well...If you own a MiFi 2372 they are being recalled as they are unfit for human use!
Bell Novatel MiFi 2372 deemed unsafe for human use, recalled -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/bell-novatel-mifi-2372-deemed-unsafe-for-human-use-recalled/)

kyte
5th May 2010, 05:01 PM
I think I might want to get one of those less sexy but more flexible wireless goodies from Netcomm. Works on all local networks. There's a thread and link around here somewhere but I'll try to find the info.

There we go. Travel Router (http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/3g-mobile-broadband/3gt1wn) and what you do is plug your existing USB modem avec sim card into the appropriate slot.