PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Pro

timboy
13th April 2010, 10:49 PM
New macbook pro's have been released! About time, since they haven't been refreshed since last year! (according to macrumors.com)

Only thing is that it looks like they've only upgraded the 15" and 17" models to the current i5/i7 processors. I am a bit dissapointed as i was hoping that they would upgrade the 13" as well! bummer... At least they now include 4gb of ram as standard.

On a positive note, it seems that there was also a small price drop as well, as from memory, i thought MBP's started from $1599. They currently start from $1499.

samuelowens
13th April 2010, 10:50 PM
Still waiting for a quad-core here, although the advent of an official mini-DP-to-HDMI adapter is good news...

Keving
13th April 2010, 10:52 PM
Apple just keeps blowing the competition out of the water.. by leaps and bounds...

It's almost becoming scary!

The_Hawk
13th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Looks like the pricing has come down, 17" MBP's now start under $3k...

I was going to wait until after tax time to replace my 17" MBP if they released an i5/i7 model. I suppose the big question will be what is the different in performance from a 2.8GHz C2D and a 2.66GHz i7.

I suppose this is when we start seeing the "what is my MacBook Pro worth" threads as people sell off the old and buy the new... Like me :D

sleek881
13th April 2010, 10:55 PM
.. At least they now include 4gb of ram as standard.

My mid 2009 15" came with 4GB Ram as standard.

gamblor
13th April 2010, 11:00 PM
The base 13" now come with 4GB and are $100 cheaper than previously.

Nice..price reduction bodes well for iPad.

eddieaus
13th April 2010, 11:01 PM
base model 15" is still $2199, damit!

yinyang
13th April 2010, 11:02 PM
I was impressed that they've got 512Gb SSDs as a BTO, until I saw the price...!! Bit annoyed though that you can't get an antiglare screen unless you go to the new Hi-Res 1680x1050.

I think I'll get an iPad first before getting a new MBP - too many new iProducts this year!!

The_Hawk
13th April 2010, 11:05 PM
the new Hi-Res 1680x1050.

Finally! At that "Hi Res" the 15" actually has a pixel density above the 13". Now it fits the curve nicely, previously, while you got a bigger, higher res screen, it was actually a lower pixel density, one of the main reasons I opted for the 17" (mind you I don't know that I'd step down now that I have had that glorious screen space the 17" provides).

mjankor
13th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Sweet. I was very worried that my new C2D 17" would be massively outdated, but the performance improvement, while solid, doesn't make me feel too bad.

mjankor
13th April 2010, 11:06 PM
Optional 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen display with 1680 by 1050 pixels (glossy or antiglare)

That's insane.

Edit: Oops No it's not. I thought that was the resolution I was running on my 17", which would result in a very 'tight' display on a 15.4" screen.

That's actually really nice.

Apoptosis
13th April 2010, 11:25 PM
I was counting on Apple's prices staying the same or going up with the 13" MBP while keeping the shit hardware levels on the base model to make my impulse 13" MB purchase on Sunday make sense.

Apple just fucked me (I may have asked for it though lol). So I'm now in the process of imaging my MB HDD and I'm going to return it for a 13" MBP base model on Thursday hopefully! It's really not a bad upgrade for $200 more than I paid.

jared79
13th April 2010, 11:33 PM
Still waiting for a quad-core here, although the advent of an official mini-DP-to-HDMI adapter is good news... Umm, the i5's and i7's are quad core in a way. They are dual core yes, but they have be Hyper threaded where each core can split in 2, so you can have 4 cores virtually. This is better for battery life as the system will only do this when you push it. So it is virtually a quad core machine.

jared79
13th April 2010, 11:34 PM
I was counting on Apple's prices staying the same or going up with the 13" MBP while keeping the shit hardware levels on the base model to make my impulse 13" MB purchase on Sunday make sense.

Apple just fucked me (I may have asked for it though lol). So I'm now in the process of imaging my MB HDD and I'm going to return it for a 13" MBP base model on Thursday hopefully! It's really not a bad upgrade for $200 more than I paid. You should be fine, they usually let you swap it in the first 2 weeks. You may have to pay a re-stocking fee. But you will still be better off.

Apoptosis
13th April 2010, 11:42 PM
You should be fine, they usually let you swap it in the first 2 weeks. You may have to pay a re-stocking fee. But you will still be better off.

Yeah, It shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure 100% how to approach it though...
Do I just tell them that I'm unhappy with my purchase in light of the upgraded and price dropped Pros and want to swap. Or do I say I'm unhappy with it and want a refund. Then buy the Pro?

Also, I hope the 4 day delay on Apple.com.au doesn't apply to retail stores...

applebyte
13th April 2010, 11:54 PM
Would I be stupid to buy a macbook pro 13"?

samuelowens
13th April 2010, 11:54 PM
Umm, the i5's and i7's are quad core in a way. They are dual core yes, but they have be Hyper threaded where each core can split in 2, so you can have 4 cores virtually. This is better for battery life as the system will only do this when you push it. So it is virtually a quad core machine.

Virtual ain't the same as real. A hyper-threaded quad-core will give eight virtual cores by this reasoning, and will thus scream...

I'm basically waiting for the next big performance leap (my four year old CD MBP still pulls a 'good enough for my needs' 2600 on Geekbench, while the just superseded models are about 3900, and an iPad will take over websurfing on the couch duties shortly). i5s are good, quads will be even better (particularly with a 256GB SSD, which should also be cheaper the longer I can wait).

I might upgrade come next year's back to uni promotion though...

d_ominic
14th April 2010, 12:21 AM
i am INCREDIBLY pissed off...

Uni just started in Australia and they had student offers til the end of march. the deal was $150 discount plus a "free" 8gb ipod touch after a full cash rebate process.

so i got my 13, paid for the ipod and now im waiting for the rebate to come thru and then probably gonna sell it for another 200 aud or so.

2 weeks later, they increase the ram, slight cpu bump, moar hdd, and 3 more hours of juice. i was thinking of upping the ram to 4 and that would render the $150 off i got breaking even. so net wise, i got an old model with less everything for a free 8gb ipod touch.

i wonder if the applecare would supply me a new model if my mbp "broke"

go fuck yourself, apple. actually shoudlve seen this coming myself....FFFFFUUUUUUU :angry: :angry: :angry:

kt_kez
14th April 2010, 12:29 AM
There was no way Apple were going to release the new models with the Uni discounts. It sucks big time though!!

The new higher-res option is great, but does come at a price. Do you think its better to get a higher model i5 with the standard display, or the lesser model with the nicer display? It would have been nice if the 7200rpm HDD was standard, but I guess not!

twombles_62
14th April 2010, 12:34 AM
You losers are kidding yourself. Apple is offering a better product at a lower price, anyone with half a brain can see that is a positive move for customers.

Sebastianmonty
14th April 2010, 12:48 AM
Didn't even read the previous posts. All I can say is. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Little annoyed I just bought a 4GB stick of RAM and a SSD for my MBP> I have to save again.

iCantwait
14th April 2010, 01:06 AM
i7 next payday!

iCantwait
14th April 2010, 01:07 AM
Didn't even read the previous posts. All I can say is. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Little annoyed I just bought a 4GB stick of RAM and a SSD for my MBP> I have to save again.

you will still get better performance out of the ssd that an otb i7

ArcticFox
14th April 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm going to be ordering a i7 MBP with 7200RPM drive (What do u guys think? Its $59 or so for the upgrade), and MiniDP>DVI Adaptor once my student ADC goes through. (Turns out to be around $2460 in the end).

Sebastianmonty
14th April 2010, 01:25 AM
you will still get better performance out of the ssd that an otb i7

Yes I know. Also the good news is kind of bad news which is the 4GB stick of ram which retails for $250 ish(but cheaper in the US- yay) will work in the new MBP.
The reason that is bad news as there is faster memory available, isn't there?

The graphics card is still classed as a "medium ranged card". Better of course but I would like to see 1GB.

Btw what is "otb"? Do you mean BTO?

ArcticFox
14th April 2010, 01:27 AM
Btw what is "otb"? Do you mean BTO?

Out of the box.

iCantwait
14th April 2010, 01:32 AM
ty AF

Alicepire
14th April 2010, 02:49 AM
So do you think this is the exciting Mac development Jobs promised, or is it worth waiting a few months?

bawpcwpn
14th April 2010, 04:52 AM
I'm thinking 15" i7. Looks purrrty.

landog
14th April 2010, 06:11 AM
i want a 13 inch but is it worth considering the 15 inch just for the i5 and whats the difference between the graphics cards in the 13 Vs 15

Jaste
14th April 2010, 06:35 AM
Did we have a macbook update a while back where half the line was updated then a couple of weeks later the rest were? Maybe the 13 inch models are just lagging a couple of weeks? /fingers crossed

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 06:37 AM
OK this is annoying... I much prefer the 13" form factor and I've been waiting for the MacBook Pro updates but the 13" is just the last of the C2D's with a new graphics chip.

Sure it's a lot cheaper than the 15", but I've have paid 15" dollars to get a higher res screen and the faster graphics AND an i5 in the 13" model :(

I think I'll be waiting for the next update, surely the 13" will go i5 by then...

Jaste
14th April 2010, 06:53 AM
Did we have a macbook update a while back where half the line was updated then a couple of weeks later the rest were? Maybe the 13 inch models are just lagging a couple of weeks? /fingers crossed

Ah disregard that. 13 inch was changed. I thought it was left the same with price drop. I'll go get a coffee now to wake up properly!

DaveOZ
14th April 2010, 06:56 AM
Oooo, new high res 15" looks nice, and 512GbSSD.

digger1914
14th April 2010, 07:29 AM
I have been waiting for this for a while. I just placed my order:

15"
2.66 ghz i7
8 gig ram
7200 rpm drive

Can't wait :D

glitch
14th April 2010, 07:45 AM
its a bit disappointing that Apple are increasing the number of CTO options that most of us will want in the hardware.

The upgrade to 7200RPM & the better display should be standard given that they are 'Pro' models.

These options pretty quickly eat up the price reduction.

iCantwait
14th April 2010, 07:47 AM
I have been waiting for this for a while. I just placed my order:

15"
2.66 ghz i7
8 gig ram
7200 rpm drive

Can't wait :D

om nom nom - with hi res anti glare?

Apoptosis
14th April 2010, 07:54 AM
You losers are kidding yourself. Apple is offering a better product at a lower price, anyone with half a brain can see that is a positive move for customers.

Except nobody is saying they are a move in the wrong direction...

dagaz
14th April 2010, 08:02 AM
OK this is annoying... I much prefer the 13" form factor and I've been waiting for the MacBook Pro updates but the 13" is just the last of the C2D's with a new graphics chip.
I'm in the same boat as you, desperately waiting for an i3 or i5 update for the 13" before purchasing. However, I've now found out that in the new chipsets Intel isn't allowing 3rd party integrated cards (why the 15" and 17" have now swapped to Intel HD for their integrated graphics). The new NVIDEA 320M is meant to set a new benchmark in integrated graphics performance and, due to the limitations set by Intel in their new line, meant that Apple was forced to stick with C2D to use it.

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 08:03 AM
Except nobody is saying they are a move in the wrong direction...

No, of course not.

The 17" is a good upgrade, the 15" is a great upgrade and even the 13" has been upgraded; just not as much as I'd like.

The 15" has the perfect spec! Exactly what I was looking for... I just want it in the 13" form factor (I recall having this problem when the unibodies came out and only the 15" had dedicated graphics *sigh*). :confused1:

Leopard
14th April 2010, 08:33 AM
I can't wait for the Yellow Tint,Flickering Screen and Fuck
knows what else Thread.:p

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 08:53 AM

Uni just started in Australia and they had student offers til the end of march. the deal was $150 discount plus a "free" 8gb ipod touch after a full cash rebate process.

so i got my 13, paid for the ipod and now im waiting for the rebate to come thru and then probably gonna sell it for another 200 aud or so.

2 weeks later, they increase the ram, slight cpu bump, moar hdd, and 3 more hours of juice. i was thinking of upping the ram to 4 and that would render the $150 off i got breaking even. so net wise, i got an old model with less everything for a free 8gb ipod touch.

go fuck yourself, apple. actually shoudlve seen this coming myself....FFFFFUUUUUUU :angry: :angry: :angry:

Why do you think they were offering such a good deal.... model clearance!

TheKeddi
14th April 2010, 08:58 AM
It's funny, with each refresh of models out come the whingers!!!

Ohh, I just bought one, fuck you Apple, Ohh it's not fast enough, fuck you Apple, ohh it's not good enough, fuck you Apple,

if you don't like what they make, don't buy the bloody things! lol. Go get yourself a nice Windows machine and sod off! lol

Sorry for the rant but some people just piss me off and are never happy!!!

landog
14th April 2010, 09:15 AM
No, of course not.

The 17" is a good upgrade, the 15" is a great upgrade and even the 13" has been upgraded; just not as much as I'd like.

The 15" has the perfect spec! Exactly what I was looking for... I just want it in the 13" form factor (I recall having this problem when the unibodies came out and only the 15" had dedicated graphics *sigh*). :confused1:

same here...so someone tell me what in practical terms it means to have a 15 inch over the 13:

i.e.
- 30% increase in performance with the i5, would i only notice this with stuff like high end graphics apps?
- HD screen - so movies look 10% better on the screen?
- graphics cards are the same right?

any other input welcome.

I really dont want to carry a 15 inch machine around all day but i want to know what im forgoeing with the 13...

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Sorry for the rant but some people just piss me off and are never happy!!!

All I really want is a 13" with the same processor update they put in the other MacBook pros.

If you really think that's so unreasonable (when it's so easily technically) then I can only say I am in awe at your level of uncritical Apple fanboyness :p

nike1
14th April 2010, 09:19 AM
i just bought my new MBP a few days ago off the refurb store.
im happy with it, the update's didnt do much for me really.

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 09:21 AM
If you really think that's so unreasonable (when it's so easily technically) then I can only say I am in awe at your level of uncritical Apple fanboyness :p

Forgive my assumption but how do you know its so easy? How do you know its not extremely difficult to effectively cool the i5 or i7 in such a small case enclosure?

TheKeddi
14th April 2010, 09:25 AM
I didn't want to start trouble, but yeah, if your not happy with one thing, get the next thing up?

I love my little white macbook, it's not a screamer but does what I need it to do.

If I wanted something to be faster I would have ponied up the extra and got something bigger.

It's not unreasonable to ask for something faster in such a little machine but if it's not there then deal with it.

forno
14th April 2010, 09:28 AM

I did have a bout 10 lines of text about your percieved injustice, insted I will simply say grow th f up! apple aint a charity for you to get free stuff

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 09:28 AM
Im going to guess that the battery life would be compromised putting an i5 or 7 into a 13 inch... there is significantly less room for battery in that case.

mallo
14th April 2010, 09:30 AM

every single time apple do updates you people come out of the woodwork. Seriously, do your research, its been well talked about that apple will be updating their MBP lineup before long, for a few months now, and not only that, it's just how it goes with anything, new models are released, what, do you expect apple to hold off releasing updates for another 6months just to make you feel good? you bought just before an update, it technology, suck it up, it happens.

avolve
14th April 2010, 09:41 AM

i want a 13 inch but is it worth considering the 15 inch just for the i5 and whats the difference between the graphics cards in the 13 Vs 15

I will be getting a 13". There will always be something different around the corner. For me the price is very good and the battery life is fantastic. I am going from a 17" to a 13" because i want the portability. If you want more grunt, and can compromise on the size, go bigger (and hand over more $$$).

Would be interested to see the difference in the graphics cards...

fishinthecity
14th April 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, I've just ordered my BTO 17" MBP.. Have been waiting for these to come out, and was hoping it'd be before tax time :)

So, i7, 8Gig RAM, 500gig 7200RPM HDD, Anti-glare screen.. Can't wait, due to deliver sometime between the 20th and 27th..

Leopard
14th April 2010, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=landog;954835]same here...so someone tell me what in practical terms it means to have a 15 inch over the 13:

Maybe you should ask the Wife or Girlfriend on that one.;)

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 10:07 AM
How do you know its not extremely difficult to effectively cool the i5 or i7 in such a small case enclosure?

Because a number of other manufacturers offer the i5 in similar small cases, that is to say... it's ALREADY been done.

Do you really believe Apple (justifiably known for their innovation and technical skills) can't do what other (arguably less innovative) companies can not?

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 10:10 AM
Im going to guess that the battery life would be compromised putting an i5 or 7 into a 13 inch... there is significantly less room for battery in that case.

I agree with your assumption :)

And hence we wouldn't have had the 10 hour battery life that the new version has.

Honestly? I don't care... the trade off would be well worth it for having the i5.

grfxninja
14th April 2010, 10:14 AM
I think I am lucky that my CC is maxed at the moment…

Though to be honest, I don't really need the portability of a laptop at the moment, so I think my next upgrade will be an iMac and an iPad instead.

But damn that top end 15" is looking good…

Anybody wanna lend me 3 grand? I promise I'll pay you back ASAP :D

Nisstrust
14th April 2010, 10:21 AM
Its great the MBP have been refreshed with i5 and i7 core for the 15" and 17" models.

Whats important to me is:
1. 15" form factor
2. Express card slot
3. anti glare screen
4. i7 core

I am a bit annoyed because at the moment i have the older 15" MBP 4,1 which has an express card slot for dual e-sata where i can run a Raid 1 mirror for all my data.

For me personally i travel a lot and a 15" form factor is critical, i dont want to carry around a new 17" MBP model, as its the only one with an express card slot.

Anti glare is also important because i post process images whilst on the move and i need a colour critical workflow in place, granted 80% of the time the MBP is docked to a monitor, but the balance of that time is on the move.

Anyhow in summary the 17" is too big for me, has the express card slot, does not have an antiglare option and does not have an i7 core.

Whilst the 15" is the right size, does not have express card slot, does have anti glare option but does come with an i7 option, as the extra grunt would be fantastic!

humm what to do??? :)

NORMANDY
14th April 2010, 10:31 AM
get the 17inch... you get used to it... I went through the same thing, express card is a must... so there is NO CHOICE.

plus you can get the 17 inch in a i 7 processor.. its an option.. BTO...

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with your assumption :)

And hence we wouldn't have had the 10 hour battery life that the new version has.

Honestly? I don't care... the trade off would be well worth it for having the i5.

Poor battery life is the exact reason i am getting rid of my current setup (15" Unibody MBP) for a 27" iMac and iPad when it is arrives.

I am so sick of the battery life being less than 2-3 hours for anything more than mail and (non flash) web browsing.

glitch
14th April 2010, 10:42 AM
I wonder what the real world difference is between the i5/i7 duo core and i5/i7 quad cores like the iMacs run.

I really doubt they are hugely better than the C2D's, those C2D's with 4GB of RAM are a seriously competent machine, well and truly beyond most users needs anyway.

If you are happy with the 13" screen, they are a fantastic price point for a very powerful laptop.

dagaz
14th April 2010, 11:03 AM
For those whinging about the C2D in the 13", go back and read my post on p.2. To put a i3 or i5 in the 13" would have meant Apple would have to go with either the inferior Intel HD integrated graphics chip (the integrated chip now in the 15" and 17") or a much more expensive discrete chip.

Nisstrust
14th April 2010, 11:06 AM
get the 17inch... you get used to it... I went through the same thing, express card is a must... so there is NO CHOICE.

plus you can get the 17 inch in a i 7 processor.. its an option.. BTO...

Your right the i7 is BTo on the 17" and anti glare
might just have to do it!

digger1914
14th April 2010, 11:50 AM
om nom nom - with hi res anti glare?

I went for the high res glossy. I've never had glossy before

wise
14th April 2010, 11:56 AM
so the 13" have the same chips that were in the last models? just updated graphics?

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 12:22 PM
so the 13" have the same chips that were in the last models? just updated graphics?

That's the general consensus at this point.

avolve
14th April 2010, 12:26 PM
That's the general consensus at this point.

plus a speed bump, increased RAM, better battery life, a larger HDD(?)

Apoptosis
14th April 2010, 12:29 PM
Well, I checked with the Apple store and yes they'll take my MacBook back and refund me it (no mention of restocking fee) and let me buy a new MBP which they reckon they'll have stock of either today or tomorrow :)

I forgot to ask if that includes the 13" which is the one I'm after though :P

Balthazar
14th April 2010, 12:32 PM
Well, I checked with the Apple store and yes they'll take my MacBook back and refund me it (no mention of restocking fee) and let me buy a new MBP which they reckon they'll have stock of either today or tomorrow :)

I forgot to ask if that includes the 13" which is the one I'm after though :P

Great News... this is why i love Apple, other companies are not customer focused like this

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 12:50 PM
plus a speed bump, increased RAM, better battery life, a larger HDD(?)

The base speed of the Core2Duo chip is now 2.4GHz which is the same as my 2 generation old unibody 13", the ram is 4Gb which many people optioned and hard disks were commonly upspeced as well.

The only changes that were unavailable in previous versions are the graphics and the increased battery life.

The other models in the new range have had more comprehensive updates and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 13" get another update not too far down the track.

theade
14th April 2010, 02:10 PM
For those whinging about the C2D in the 13", go back and read my post on p.2. To put a i3 or i5 in the 13" would have meant Apple would have to go with either the inferior Intel HD integrated graphics chip (the integrated chip now in the 15" and 17") or a much more expensive discrete chip.

the 15" and 17" have nvidia too.

wise
14th April 2010, 02:10 PM
The base speed of the Core2Duo chip is now 2.4GHz which is the same as my 2 generation old unibody 13", the ram is 4Gb which many people optioned and hard disks were commonly upspeced as well.

The only changes that were unavailable in previous versions are the graphics and the increased battery life.

The other models in the new range have had more comprehensive updates and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 13" get another update not too far down the track.

spot on.

avolve
14th April 2010, 02:44 PM

For me, the battery and graphics are more than enough. My PowerBook is 6 years old and having issues —*it is more about need than about newness.

That said, there will always be an update around the corner...

Alicepire
14th April 2010, 03:02 PM
How much of a difference would the SSD make? Is it worth the money, or (taking money and performance into account) would I be better off just going to 8gb of RAM?
I'm getting the high end 15", still haven't decided on glossy or mat. I want it to play games, do some sound editing and work.

jesse
14th April 2010, 03:13 PM
How much of a difference would the SSD make? Is it worth the money, or (taking money and performance into account) would I be better off just going to 8gb of RAM?
I'm getting the high end 15", still haven't decided on glossy or mat. I want it to play games, do some sound editing and work.

From what i've heard SSD is a huge increase in performance.

MissionMan
14th April 2010, 03:32 PM
Massive difference. 20 seconds for OSX to boot. XP VM starts in under 20 seconds. Photoshop CS4 opens after 2 bounces. etc.

Its difficult to explain how much quicker it is until you've tried one.

On average, its 5x faster from what I understand so imagine everything taking one fifth of the time to open.

Quamen
14th April 2010, 03:33 PM

I would take SSD over an extra 4GB of RAM any day.

My 13" MBP has 4gb of RAM and an SSD.
My Mac pro has 12GB of RAM and a normal hard drive.

My MBP feels a whole heap faster than my Mac Pro.

MissionMan
14th April 2010, 04:25 PM
Here are some comparisons

7200RPM vs SSD opening 5 Adobe apps at the same time

5zKfe1QZr2k

XP VM starting up

yuh7c6o2wIE

~Coxy
14th April 2010, 04:28 PM
the 15" and 17" have nvidia too.

That is an additional, discrete GPU. Their IGP is the weak "Intel HD" that is part of the processor package.

Alicepire
14th April 2010, 07:42 PM
Wow! That's hardcore! But it's still an extra $1700, which is kinda intense. Would it be cheaper to get the MBP as is and then upgrade to the SSD later?

MissionMan
14th April 2010, 08:02 PM
You can buy an SSD (256GB) for about $800 so its probably the same to get it as is and then add the SSD afterwards, the only difference is you have a spare drive to use as a portable time machine. I used the original drive for a super duper clone so if my drive fails I can get up and going again with zero down time.

El Guardo
14th April 2010, 08:48 PM
I used the original drive for a super duper clone so if my drive fails I can get up and going again with zero down time.

And you're going to want a nightly SuperDuper! clone for when your SSD fails.

MissionMan
14th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Haven't heard about anymore problems with the SSD's other than the original bad batch of g.skills. Mine has been flawless since then.

El Guardo
14th April 2010, 09:00 PM
Haven't heard about anymore problems with the SSD's other than the original bad batch of g.skills.

Every hard drive in the world will eventually fail. Assume that yours are all on the cusp of failure at all times. It’s good to be spooked about how long your hard drives will last. (http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/ode_to_diskwarrior_superduper_dropbox)

twombles_62
14th April 2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not going to read that whole article but SSD does not equal HDD.

El Guardo
14th April 2010, 09:48 PM

Are you serious? :(

Apoptosis
14th April 2010, 10:04 PM

I spose if you want to play with semantics and be all silly you could say that traditionally HDD has referred to a spinning metal disk type of data storage set up and SSD is a different thing.

But the term Hard Disk Drive doesn't imply anything about the mechanism of data retention so HDD could refer to a SSD. The end effect for the user is the same.

Anthonyw
14th April 2010, 10:17 PM
For those surprised by the 13" not having the new i3 or i5... An article published a couple of months went through likely upgrades and for 13" and mac mini the new chips all run too hot for the smaller form factor according to Apples standards. It won't be until the upgrade by intel of these chips that they will be appropriate. Sounds logical and looks like it was on the money

Edit

Here was the article

How Intel?s 32nm chips fit into Apple?s next-gen Macs (http://apcmag.com/how-intels-32nm-chips-fit-into-apples-next-gen-macs.htm)

Geoff3DMN
15th April 2010, 10:39 AM
But the term Hard Disk Drive doesn't imply anything about the mechanism of data retention so HDD could refer to a SSD

Sorry but the term Hard Disk Drive not only implies but says what the data retention method is.

A floppy disk refers to the flexible (floppy) inside spinning magnetic disk shaped storage media.

A hard disk refers to the not flexible (hard) inside spinning magnetic disk shaped storage media.

That is why one is called a hard disk and one is called a floppy disk and finally an SSD is called a Solid State Drive because it uses solid state technology (a term originating from the solid state physics research that created the transistors which are used in the micro circuits which are inside the IC's that ARE the storage of an SSD).

Balthazar
15th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Disc and Disk ...there is a difference

What's the difference between a "disc" and a "disk?" (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2300)

Geoff3DMN
15th April 2010, 11:47 AM
Disc and Disk ...there is a difference

True, but Disk is correct usage when referring to hard drives and floppy drives.

K is for magneto-optiKal and c is for ferro-magnetiC ;)

Balthazar
15th April 2010, 11:56 AM
True, but Disk is correct usage when referring to hard drives and floppy drives.

K is for magneto-optiKal and c is for ferro-magnetiC ;)

...what he said ;-)

El Guardo
15th April 2010, 02:08 PM
So I can blame zee Germans?

~Coxy
15th April 2010, 04:12 PM
Hard disks aren't magneto-optical though. They are just normal magnetic "hard" platters.

Geoff3DMN
15th April 2010, 04:51 PM
Hard disks aren't magneto-optical though. They are just normal magnetic "hard" platters.

I did put a smiley after it :)

Vzzzbx
16th April 2010, 01:01 PM
Last night I grabbed the 2.4 GHz 15-inch from Chadstone (the service was excellent, btw) and iWork.

It's my first Mac, so I've nothing with which to compare it, but it does seem incredibly zippy. It didn't get hot in the five hours I was using it, and the inertial trackpad is a really nice touch. Everything loads instantaneously, etc.

gehenna
16th April 2010, 01:03 PM
Last night I grabbed the 2.4 GHz 15-inch from Chadstone (the service was excellent, btw) and iWork.

It's my first Mac, so I've nothing with which to compare it, but it does seem incredibly zippy. It didn't get hot in the five hours I was using it, and the inertial trackpad is a really nice touch. Everything loads instantaneously, etc.

Try switching to the other graphics chip, you should notice it get pretty burnie hot then....at least I notice it on my mid 2009 model.

Balthazar
16th April 2010, 01:20 PM
Try switching to the other graphics chip, you should notice it get pretty burnie hot then....at least I notice it on my mid 2009 model.

The Heat off my Mid 2009 15" MBP really annoys me,

I can barely use it in the summer months, except on a desk otherwise it gradually heats up my legs and the air around me to a point i am literaly sweating (Sorry for the imagery there).

They need to think seriously about heat disapation in these aluminium models for the future.

mjankor
16th April 2010, 06:13 PM
I've been amazed at the lack of heat from my 17" 2.8C2D. It's the first laptop I've been able to use while it's resting on a quilt.

I should add I'm not using the 9600 currently, just the integrated.

It might be due to the larger surface area.

canonafficionado
16th April 2010, 06:34 PM

Where is the setting to switch between the two different graphics outputs? I always thought it wasn't configurable and the MBP just switches it in the background but I must be mistaken.

mjankor
16th April 2010, 06:55 PM
System Preferences -> Energy Saver

Up the top. You need to logout & back in to change, on previous models.

canonafficionado
16th April 2010, 07:15 PM
Great, thanks! I'll try it out.

idiesel
16th April 2010, 07:29 PM
JB Hifi have them on sales for $1,100 (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/apple-mb467x-a-macbook-13-2-4ghz-250gb-aluminium/436587) as a clearance item

Windoze
16th April 2010, 09:42 PM
JB Hifi have them on sales for $1,100 (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/apple-mb467x-a-macbook-13-2-4ghz-250gb-aluminium/436587) as a clearance item

Another thread mentioned that this is not a Macbook Pro, just an old 2008? Macbook

idiesel
16th April 2010, 10:00 PM
That's a shame, as it seemed to be a pretty sweet deal.

Melishunt
18th April 2010, 05:21 PM
Ordered the new macbook pro 17" i7 with 8gigram. Shitty as hell they didn't put Blue Ray drives in them though. WOuld have paid a fair bit extra for that option. Don't want to have to buy an external Blue Ray drive and carry that everywhere just to watch better quality video and get larger storage.

idiesel
18th April 2010, 07:22 PM
I know Apple hate Bluray, but it seems to me that they are limiting their market share by being so pigheaded about it.

I guess this means they probably won't be part of the iMac refresh either?

Apoptosis
18th April 2010, 07:38 PM
Still NFI what's going on with my battery. Just left it idle on the table for 20min while cooking dinner and it's dropped 12% battery already and quoting <4hrs left. There's nothing running in the background except skype and safari (yes, flash is switched off) and the display would have been off for most of that time!

I'm confused. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but Apple's claim of 8-9 hours is looking a mighty bit suss to me.

manu
18th April 2010, 08:28 PM
Still NFI what's going on with my battery. Just left it idle on the table for 20min while cooking dinner and it's dropped 12% battery already and quoting <4hrs left. There's nothing running in the background except skype and safari (yes, flash is switched off) and the display would have been off for most of that time!

I'm confused. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but Apple's claim of 8-9 hours is looking a mighty bit suss to me.

Have you installed 200mb odd update?

Apoptosis
18th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Have you installed 200mb odd update?

Yep, fully updated.

Meh 626
18th April 2010, 08:38 PM

Have you calibrated your battery?

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490)

Melishunt
19th April 2010, 05:51 AM
maybe there will be a battery firmware fx come out like the battery updates that came out for the older mods

Melishunt
19th April 2010, 05:53 AM
I know Apple hate Bluray, but it seems to me that they are limiting their market share by being so pigheaded about it.

I guess this means they probably won't be part of the iMac refresh either?

I too think a lot more people would look into paying extra for a mbp with blue Ray. I have purchased toast titanium 10 pro but with no blue Ray burner what is it's advantages/difference to just toast 10

Geoff3DMN
19th April 2010, 09:51 AM
I didn't want to start trouble, but yeah, if your not happy with one thing, get the next thing up?

You're not 'starting trouble' but the big problem is that the next one up is big.

I'd be happy to pay more $ for a higher spec 13", one that had discrete graphics (and even more for one with blue ray and a higher res screen, say the same res as the standard 15").

Vzzzbx
20th April 2010, 05:17 PM
8-9 hours does seem a bit rich. Admittedly I've spent most of the time setting up VMs and using iPhoto, but the battery meter never reports anything greater than 4.5 hours, even straight off the charger.

I did everything Apple recommends in the article linked by Meh 626, except the going-to-sleep-for-five-hours bit.

Vzzzbx
21st April 2010, 09:09 AM
Last night it reported more than eight hours.

Just... let me dislodge my... foot... there we go.

mustgroove
22nd April 2010, 10:19 AM
I wake up & check the TNT site while I'm still in bed... it says

22 Apr 2010 06:30:04 Sydney Out For Delivery.

5 minutes later the door buzzer buzzes :) Nice one! No interminable waiting for me today.

fishinthecity
22nd April 2010, 10:22 AM
Mine reports as being onboard for delivery as well... Just waiting for the man to turn up!

Lockley
22nd April 2010, 06:21 PM
Bought a new 13" 2.4ghz today :p

i called many shops in the Newcastle area and everyone (JB hifi, Mac1, Domayne) said they had none left. But luckily i called David jones and they had two left. so....... if anyone in Newcastle wants one..... DJ's still might have it.

its an awesome laptop

mustgroove
22nd April 2010, 10:52 PM
Couple observations:

- 7200rpm HDD is totally worth it IMO, you can definitely notice the difference over a 5400rpm drive... and I don't think it's because I'm running a fresh install of OS X either...

- Hi Res screen RULES... really works well on a 15" screen, any higher would be a bit too small I think.

- Matte RULES... seriously, I don't think it suffers in terms of colour depth at all, at least in comparison to my old Mid-2007 MBP...

dawsman
23rd April 2010, 12:04 AM
Can anyone with the new Macbook Pro tell me if they still get hot when running the new Nvidia discrete graphics chip? I have the first gen 15" unibody MBP and the heat produced from the 9600M GT really shits me. I would consider upgrading if the new models run cooler.

Another thread I read said that switching between the onboard and discrete graphics is automatic on the new model... Not sure if I like the sound of that. If the switching is constant and unreliable then surely it wouldn't do the battery life any good, even considering the extended life on the new models relative to my 1st gen.

jboy
23rd April 2010, 12:35 AM
Can anyone with the new Macbook Pro tell me if they still get hot when running the new Nvidia discrete graphics chip? I have the first gen 15" unibody MBP and the heat produced from the 9600M GT really shits me. I would consider upgrading if the new models run cooler.

Will let you know when it arrives:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB, 128GB SSD MBP 15"HR Antiglare

Cheers

Balthazar
23rd April 2010, 08:27 AM

Are you sure it is the video card causing the heat? i have the same model and i always assumed it was the processor (or maybe both)

Geoff3DMN
23rd April 2010, 09:06 AM
The more I read at the 15" (with the high res screen) the more I want one.

The extra screen resolution in the midsized form factor is winning me over and with steam coming to OS X I'll need something with mobile gaming ability...

dawsman
23rd April 2010, 03:06 PM
Are you sure it is the video card causing the heat? i have the same model and i always assumed it was the processor (or maybe both)

You're probably right. I just assumed that the extra heat under OSX in performance mode and Windows in general is due to the discrete graphics, but obviously the processor is working harder under these conditions too.

I'd still be interested to know if there's any improvement with the newer nVidia chips.

Vzzzbx
23rd April 2010, 03:24 PM
Can anyone with the new Macbook Pro tell me if they still get hot when running the new Nvidia discrete graphics chip?
The hardest I've gone is with iPhoto and Google Earth, but it's never been too hot to put on my lap. (That's more than I can say for my Dell Inspiron, which frequently jumps above 85 degrees.)

If the (graphics) switching is constant and unreliable then surely it wouldn't do the battery life any good, even considering the extended life on the new models relative to my 1st gen.
The battery life only drops by about a third, I think. It is crying out for full manual control, though.

~Coxy
23rd April 2010, 04:38 PM
Apple does not use the Intel HD graphics to accelerate H.264 video. I assume this is why they don't offer fully manual control, or else they would need to use the CPU to decode video when on the "Better Battery Life" mode.

Meh 626
23rd April 2010, 08:27 PM
I bought a i7 17" MBP yesterday from the Apple Store Doncaster. Opened it today and really loving it, such a beautiful machine. Currently still setting it up and doing a battery calibration.

grfxninja
23rd April 2010, 08:30 PM
^ I bought a 15" 2.4GHz today, and I agree, it is a magnificent machine. I'm also currently flogging the battery down so I can do the proper calibration thingy

DaveOZ
30th April 2010, 04:06 PM
After running my new 17" i7 for a week to make sure it's OK, today I fitted my 2 x OCZ Vertex 250gb SSDs in RAID 0. Errr.... it's a bit fast!!

This is a beautiful computer and is finally a true desktop replacement for me.

Akshunhiro
2nd May 2010, 02:07 AM
So you ripped out your combo drive? I'd love to replace my HD with an SSD but they are still too expensive at the moment. Ideally I'd love a 512GB but that's ~$1500.

Maybe in 6 months or so they will drop a considerable amount.

DaveOZ
2nd May 2010, 08:53 AM
I had an Optibay in my MBP13" with an SSD for system and 500gb HDD for files and media. I restored that to the original config for Mum to use and put the Optibay in the new MBP17" but this time with 2 x 250gb SSD in RAID 0 for a total of 500gb. I have a good time machine backup system which runs all day while i'm in the office so I'm prepared to take the gamble of failure.

It's bloody fast.

DeanCorp
2nd May 2010, 09:37 AM
Couple observations:

- 7200rpm HDD is totally worth it IMO, you can definitely notice the difference over a 5400rpm drive... and I don't think it's because I'm running a fresh install of OS X either...

- Hi Res screen RULES... really works well on a 15" screen, any higher would be a bit too small I think.

- Matte RULES... seriously, I don't think it suffers in terms of colour depth at all, at least in comparison to my old Mid-2007 MBP...

- I am putting in an Intel 80GB G2 SSD, wait till you see the performance from that over a 7200rpm drive ;)

-Hi-Res does rule, I think it should have been a standard configuration for the Core i7 15"

-Can't agree with you on this point. Matte looks terrible in comparison to the new glass(gloss). Probably in comparison to your Mid-2007 it may be better because they started using LED backlit displays shortly after that.