PDA

View Full Version : iPad or NetBook?

ChrisG
13th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Hi all,

I'm probably going to get crucified for this but at work today my boss showed me a new NetBook that he bought which was called the*HP Pavilion Dm3 which I think looks really noice even for a Mac fanboy.

The reason I am tempted of this over the iPad is because it has some of the features of the iPad that I wanted but unfortunately didn't get (eg. USB ports and iSight camera.)

One of the other main reasons why this is tempting is because i can claim this for work expenses (which I can't do with the iPad because it is too much of an entertainment device to claim anything).

Maybe it's just my mind thinking negatively but what's the point in getting an iPad if you already have an iPhone 3GS which the iPad is just basically a giant iPhone without the phone and camera.

I will also be doing some word processing for a couple of hours on end and will be taking this to work with me every day so need it to be light.

I'd like to here your opinion's on what I should do.

hangdog
13th April 2010, 06:14 PM
<snip>
One of the other main reasons why this is tempting is because i can claim this for work expenses (which I can't do with the iPad because it is too much of an entertainment device to claim anything).<snip>

I guess that's a subjective assessment, and I can understand if your workplace won't pay it, although it's certainly something that could be persuasively argued against. After all, a netbook, let alone a notebook with an optical drive and more storage, could if anything be even more of an entertainment device.

Personally, I bought a netbook in May 2009 for work while travelling. My mobile work needs are very modest: a spreadsheet, a Windows-compatible Remote Desktop client, basic text input for note-taking, Skype, and browsing through wi-fi. Having been on many, many flights toting a smallish Tablet PC, the weight advantage of the netbook was a major selling point. Ultimately I got rid of it because as a hackintoshed machine, the Mac user experience wasn't as seamless as I would've liked; and I bought a proper MacBook Air at the end of the year.

But what I really wanted was a lightweight Apple tablet, and I would have bought one if it had been available, or waited if it had been announced (I'd already waited in vain through early 2009). Now the iPad's almost here, it ticks all the boxes for my limited work requirements, it's crazy light by notebook standards (similar in heft to the Sony Vaio X series but cheaper and not running Windows). So the MBA is going on the market after a too-brief ownership period.

thats awesome
13th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Maybe it's just my mind thinking negatively but what's the point in getting an iPad if you already have an iPhone 3GS which the iPad is just basically a giant iPhone without the phone and camera.

It's not negative thinking, it's what we should all be doing, analysis of the iPad and evaluating its effectiveness.

It's more than a giant iTouch because it gives you an experience unlike any other device in the marketplace today. Without going into great detail I believe the iPad/netbook type devices will do great things for the media industry (print media) and will refashion the old ways in which we go about our media consumption.

I will also be doing some word processing for a couple of hours on end and will be taking this to work with me every day so need it to be light.

I would suggest you read up on the reviews about the iPad's touch keyboard. If you can see yourself using the touch keyboard then fine, however if you want to use a real keyboard you will have to plug in the specific Apple iPad keyboard.

We can't tell you whether or not you'll like the touch keyboard, therefore I would suggest you wait until you can get your hands on an iPad and fondle it and see if you fall in love! If not then I would say get a HP Pavilion dm3/macbook air etc.

- Another point to ponder: the MBA may be a great solution for your problem if you wish to stick to the Mac OS.

colbris
13th April 2010, 07:02 PM
Regardless if it's a netbook or a ipad it is tax deductable as long as you use it for business the point is if the shoe fits wear it buy what suits you
Personally the ipad is fine for mainstream mobile business better battery life no virus problems fast and easy to use

kyte
13th April 2010, 07:16 PM
I bought a netbook, and now wish I had waited. However in doing wordprocessing I just can't see myself touchtyping on a touch screen... so I will probably end up keeping the netbook and getting an iPad anyway. Thank god the netbook was dead cheap.

ford.boy
13th April 2010, 09:26 PM
I have that netbook and I'm selling it for an iPad.

It's just too annoying to actually use windows as a second computer. Something I can sync my music to and everything easily with my man computer seem much much better to me, especially with OS 4 coming along. Random freezes and crashes blow too (I seriously do nothing but browse the web and chat on it, and it's unstable and very very windowsy).

entropy
13th April 2010, 09:33 PM
If you are doing word processing a couple of hours a day than I would suggest that neither an ipad or a netbook are fit for purpose. The touch keyboard is probably not precise enough and doesn't lend itself to touch typing (does anyone else get teh irony here?), and the netbook's keyboard is too cramped for prolonged use anyway.

An MBA, 13 inch MB, MBP or windows equivalent would be better as they have a full size keyboard.

teej
13th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Consider how the multi-tasking (or lack thereof), applications and environment will enhance or impede your ability to get things done and go from there. For me the iPad would be a world of frustration but for you it may be nirvana.

auspad
14th April 2010, 02:20 AM
i solved your prblem. get both. claim the netbok on whatever you want and buy the ipad

kyte
14th April 2010, 05:33 AM
... netbook's keyboard is too cramped for prolonged use anyway.

An MBA, 13 inch MB, MBP or windows equivalent would be better as they have a full size keyboard.

This is true... so you just gave me an excuse to get an MBP!!!

oh crikey, there's not enough money in the world to feed my tech addiction.

Geoff3DMN
14th April 2010, 07:42 AM
Regardless if it's a netbook or a ipad it is tax deductable as long as you use it for business

Netbooks are treated as computers for tax purposes (which makes sense because they are computers).

It remains to be seen how the ATO will treat the iPad.

Exocet
14th April 2010, 09:19 AM
For all of you complaining about the touch screen keyboard...bluetooth anybody?