PDA

View Full Version : 3G iPad telco choices

tom5955
12th April 2010, 07:57 PM
So basically I want a prepaid plan for my upcoming 3G iPad. I like the idea of paying a one off and getting data for a year with one recharge.
So i've looked at the plans and i've found:
Virgin (on Optus) $149 for 10GB with a 365 day expiry
3 $149 for 12GB with 365 day expiry
Voda $150 for 12 GB with 365 day expiry
Dodo (on Optus) $139 for 15GB with 365 day expiry
Optus' website is terrible and I can't find prepaid recharge prices.

So obviously Dodo is the best value. But what is the Optus service like with them? I live in Sydney's North Shore, so it'll be used mostly around here.
If the service is terrible on the Optus network then which of Voda or 3 is better? I've looked at Telstra and their prices are crazy, so not even thinking about that.

Edit: I'm prepared to cut down the sim to micro size, so thats not an issue.

Thanks for any input

eron
12th April 2010, 08:17 PM
Seriously, if you are using 3G much on the the iPad, I would recommend Telstra.

tom5955
12th April 2010, 08:30 PM
Hmm is the connection really that much better?
for $150 on telstra I can only get 4GB and it doesnt even last for a year.

Vojtin
12th April 2010, 08:47 PM
No more Optus for 3G connection....

Lockley
12th April 2010, 08:54 PM
in my area (Newcastle, NSW) Vodafone works well...... my mobile is with telstra but i was with vodafone and use a vodafone sim usb modem for internet on the go. So i will pay $150 for a full year with vodafone for 12gb.

i will say when i went on holidays to the central coast earlier this year i had no service with vodafone when using my usb modem and it drove me up the wall... So if i was planning on another holiday i would probably get a telstra sim.

ozerus
12th April 2010, 09:44 PM

Yes

tom5955
12th April 2010, 10:20 PM
are vodafone or 3 any closer to where telstra are in terms of connectivity compared to optus?

ozerus
12th April 2010, 10:22 PM
are vodafone or 3 any closer to where telstra are in terms of connectivity compared to optus?

nope

tom5955
12th April 2010, 10:25 PM
nope

Do you live in sydney though?

ozerus
12th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Do you live in sydney though?

Yeah I live in Sydney, also go to brisbane regularly, both fly and drive (almost 100% connection driving to brisbane, optus your lucky getting 3G)

I've tried a few different networks, at the end of the day Telstra do have the best 3G network by a long margin as well, both in the cities and in more rural areas, I don't know about small towns and so forth, I've only really driven through them, seemed to be okay..

What I'd suggest, try the different networks using prepaid with your notebook in the areas your going to be in most often and go with the provider who will give you a stable connection where you need it.

samuelowens
12th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Telstra is the only network that runs an 850MHz network which means that you get 3G everywhere except the back o' Bourke.

Still, if you get a reasonable signal everywhere you want on Voda (buy a $2 SIM and try them out), go with them...

Unless Optus has gotten considerably better in the last three months, avoid...

tom5955
12th April 2010, 10:40 PM
Well basically i don't really venture out of the whole sydney area, and am sometimes (but rarely) in other cities - melbourne etc, so I figure I don't really need to spend the extra money when I don't need the ability to travel into the country, I just don't want anything that is exceptionally slow, as i've heard optus' network is.

ozerus
12th April 2010, 10:44 PM
Well basically i don't really venture out of the whole sydney area, and am sometimes (but rarely) in other cities - melbourne etc, so I figure I don't really need to spend the extra money when I don't need the ability to travel into the country, I just don't want anything that is exceptionally slow, as i've heard optus' network is.

Your going to have to check out the networks for your self, Optus is horrible for me, no matter where I've been in Sydney I've never gotten a great connection speed, a connection yes, speed NO heh my iPhone is with Optus, wish I'd never gone with them.

check out 3, i've a mate with them, they aren't telstra fast but apparently aren't bad, when I used 3 I wasn't impressed with it's coverage.

tom5955
12th April 2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah thats what I thought about Optus. I might try 3 and Vodafone and see which works better. I'm pretty sure I've got a prepaid 3 sim card around somewhere anyway.

Cheers.

chaosboi
12th April 2010, 11:07 PM
After being on Optus with the iPhone and now on Telstra, Telstra is the only choice.

Just like Mac's, it just works!

Mickytk
13th April 2010, 01:00 PM
Was a little concerned about how the iPad was limiting the available frequency bands for its 3G (you may have seen how T-Mobile users in the US were getting up in arms about this), so i did a little research, and can report that we here in Aus should have no troubles with this.

All the aussie 3G networks run in the iPad's available frequency bands - UMTS850 (Telstra NextG), and UMTS2100 (Telstra 3G, Three, Vodafone, Optus).

However, Optus is starting to roll out into UMTS900, which the iPad does -not- support.

tom5955
13th April 2010, 01:08 PM
Does that mean Optus is using UMTS900 in all the new infrastructure its doing in an attempt to not be crap?

If all the upgrades they are doing are not compatible with the iPad then I think i'll stay with 3 or Vodafone

Mickytk
13th April 2010, 01:32 PM
I've done a little more research... And i suspect most of us who travel at all or dont live in the capitals will probably end up with Telstra.

The UTMS850 band (used by the NextG network, and also by Three in the cities) is probably the only one your iPad will be able to pick up outside of the capitals.

There is a little bit of UTMS2100 coverage from all the major telcos but its very very patchy indeed, so I wouldnt pin my hopes on that.

Three is getting better with their coverage in the 850 band, so they might be a viable alternative for some (like me - Three is pretty good here on the Gold Coast), but it looks like Optus YesG and the new Vodafone UTMS900 networks arent going to be available for the iPad.

If you're in the cities tho, you'll have no troubles. All the telcos run 3G in the 2100 band and coverage is pretty good, so as long as you're not travelling much you should be fine.

applebyte
13th April 2010, 02:58 PM

that wouldn't even last me a month!

LithgowLights
13th April 2010, 03:06 PM

I have ADSL with 125GB quota at home for a reason ;) Still, I'll probably give Optus a look in for one main reason - price. Vodafone signal at home is non existant, and Telstra's price is too dear for what I want it for.

I get adequate coverage with Optus for what I need it for, so while I can see the much greater coverage and speed of Telstra as being an advantage, I can put up with slower speeds, a lack of 3G access in some places simply because I know I have a 5000/384 ADSL connection sitting at home for real downloads.

My iPhone is used for mail, occasional Triple M streaming, and application updates & additions when I'm out & about, but if I want to do any serious downloading I can wait... When (if) I get an iPad it will be the same deal - it will be set up to be self-sufficient in terms of data needs, so if I'm on a slow GSM connection, no big deal, I can still read the news, forums and get access to my email - it just takes a bit longer.

Rust
13th April 2010, 03:09 PM

Yes...

tom5955
13th April 2010, 03:17 PM

Its definitely not enough for the price.

Mullo
13th April 2010, 05:09 PM
Get the new Opera Mini browser and 4gb will be heaps !!! :-)

Stez
13th April 2010, 05:24 PM
I think I'll be going with Telstra. 4GB for $150 isn't much for the speed they offer. People compare telcos by GB not speed and I believe thats a bit harsh. $300 a year for really fast internet should be worth it!

tom5955
13th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Opera mini hasn't been released for iPad yet though, and I can't imagine it will look good in the 2x mode.

For internet thats not really going to be my main source, it doesnt need to be the fastest there is, just enough to get me what I need to do - email, bit of surfing, twitter, fb, etc - so i'm mainly concerned about the ability for me to connect wherever I normally am, with a reasonable speed.

Mickytk
13th April 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm kinda thinking that, except when i go out into the bush to visit the folks, getting the net with Three (who i already have a monthly 1gb plan with thats about to go out of contract) should be totally fine. The band is right, just gotta trim the card down.

tom5955
13th April 2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it looks pretty easy, so shouldn't be too hard, especially with the sim holder tray as a guide to how big it need to be. I'll keep the trimmed off bits, incase I want to stick it together and use it in my USB dongle again

Stevoid
13th April 2010, 10:00 PM
When you cut it down though you have to make sure you slice it down with the contacts in the right place though.

tom5955
13th April 2010, 10:10 PM
True, but there are a fair few guides online. That and the SIM tray should make it fairly easy.

DJY
13th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Telstra is the only network that runs an 850MHz network which means that you get 3G everywhere except the back o' Bourke.
IT works even beyond the back of Bourke! I've been in some pretty remote communities even in the N.T. - and had good signal strength and checked emails on the dirt run way!

After being on Optus with the iPhone and now on Telstra, Telstra is the only choice.

Agreed! Telstra is by far the most reliable, fastest, most consistent... and no I don't work for them - or have a heap of their shares?!?!!?

I've done a little more research... And i suspect most of us who travel at all or dont live in the capitals will probably end up with Telstra.

The UTMS850 band (used by the NextG network) is probably the only one your iPad will be able to pick up outside of the capitals.

There is a little bit of UTMS2100 coverage from all the major telcos but its very very patchy indeed, so I wouldnt pin my hopes on that.

Whilst I still don't like their pricing structure - if you want truly good experiences - go with Telstra.