PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook some keys not working

avolve
12th April 2010, 06:13 PM
Out of the blue today, the F3, 3, E, D, and C keys sopped working on my PowerBook (17" 1.5Ghz 2GB RAM).

Anyone have any thoughts on why it may have happened? Is it (easily) fixable?

yhx

Brains
12th April 2010, 07:43 PM
Part of the conductive-mylar tracing inside the keyboard mechanism has either broken or worn out.

Your only fix is to replace the keyboard.

avolve
12th April 2010, 07:57 PM
Part of the conductive-mylar tracing inside the keyboard mechanism has either broken or worn out.

Your only fix is to replace the keyboard.

thx Brains.

It might be time, with the apparent new MacBook models in coming days(?), the retire the old beast...

I have disassembled/repaired it some many times, I am not sure if it will handle another breakdown.

lord
12th April 2010, 07:58 PM
The keyboard are reasonably easy to replace if I remember correctly.

avolve
12th April 2010, 08:43 PM
The keyboard are reasonably easy to replace if I remember correctly.

It's a bit of a long process. I am more concerned of damaging something else given how many times it has already been pulled down (they get a bit flimsy after a while). Might retire it as a media player/give it to a fam member with an external keyboard.

Brains
12th April 2010, 10:16 PM
If you're willing, I've a mate with the same model as yours but the screen is developing those endemic vertical lines those particular LG panels were famous for and he's rather keen on keeping it going, so if you're open to an offer to move it on, let me know.

avolve
13th April 2010, 07:05 PM
If you're willing, I've a mate with the same model as yours but the screen is developing those endemic vertical lines those particular LG panels were famous for and he's rather keen on keeping it going, so if you're open to an offer to move it on, let me know.

I'll get back to.