PDA

View Full Version : Going to Hawaii - should I get one

Rhino7
12th April 2010, 03:55 PM
Off to Honolulu this week for a few days and was wondering should I get one. Apart from having one here earlier than the Australian release, what advantages have others found in sourcing theirs from the States?

Also, what are the traps (ie. warranty, US iTunes accounts) etc. that I should watch out for.

Effectively the dollar is almost one for one, so maybe it will be cheaper than buying one over here. Hopefully the prices will be released in the next few days.

spuds_imac
12th April 2010, 04:16 PM
Yes and get me one too. :)

MizuInOz
12th April 2010, 04:38 PM
Rhino7...

Yes, yes, yes...
I just got mine in the mail today and it is fanfaskingtastic! I read all of the reviews about the iPad being a memory hog... it isn't.

iTunes USA - just stock up on some iTunes Gift cards - best place (if you are on Oahu) is COSTCO... you can get them discounted there.

I am not worried about warranty.

If you need a USA address for our iTunes account, let me know. I have one there. Send me a PM and I will connect with you.

Dollar is 1.0 US buys 1.06 AU$...

So, it is up to you on the money side of it. (Obviously).

samuelowens
12th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Drawbacks? No 3G, possible warranty issues, need an Australian duckhead. (Probably) only two weeks to go so the time gap not huge, will need to pay HI sales tax I think so savings not that great.

stevensr123
12th April 2010, 05:25 PM
no!!!!! you should get 3, one for me, one for you and one for spud :) sound like a plan?

whyaretheycalledgenius
12th April 2010, 05:37 PM
Hawaii has the lowest tax for any state in the US so pretty good prices there. I was there last December and prices are very good.

Def get one. Also get a heap of iTunes credit, I use it to get movies for my aTV before they are launched here ie The Hurt Locker.

birdseed
12th April 2010, 06:02 PM
Per your question, HI has a state tax of 4.712%.

tom5955
12th April 2010, 06:11 PM
I reckon you should go for it... from my calculations it is worth me buying a 64GB with 3G from the US if its over $950 here, and thats with extra charges from a forwarding company. I would expect the price will be slightly over that, so I would definetely buy it from there. Only large issue would be the warranty.. there have been many debates over whether its international or not. Would be best to check that, but other than that, its not locked to the US iTunes store, you will need an australian duck head, but they are pretty easy to find.