PDA

View Full Version : So which one are u getting wifi or 3G and why?

nando
11th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Well as for me am gona want to get the wifi.
3G ..i already have an iphone and i dont normally am the type to carry laptops i basically just commute from home to work...and at work i do use plenty of internet..
So really..3G wont be much use to me

timetorelax
11th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Wifi version for me as I have my handy Mifi ready for action!

hobbsy101
11th April 2010, 09:43 PM
wifi for me and using mywi from my iphone to act as a wifi hotspot that feeds off my iphone. my ipad's coming this week!

chaosboi
11th April 2010, 09:53 PM
wifi for me and using mywi !

Looks like a cool app, but I don't want to jailbrake, now it's got me thinking.

wolfie
11th April 2010, 09:56 PM
im getting 3g.
i like the idea of net everwhere i am, i may jailbreak iphone and use mywi, or buy a mifi, or stick to a prepaid 3g dedivated option.

either way, i like options available to me and over time, ill find out what suits me and my usage the best.

hobbsy101
11th April 2010, 09:56 PM
Looks like a cool app, but I don't want to jailbrake, now it's got me thinking.

it is a really good app and totally worth it. use my iphone 2G on edge and it's still really fast on my netbook. should be good on my ipad. will tell you if it is fast

LithgowLights
11th April 2010, 10:05 PM
Really depends on price. I was thinking the 32GB Wireless, but if the 16GB 3G is good price I might opt for the lesser storage and hope for decent wireless plans to come out.

Joey1983
11th April 2010, 10:10 PM
Gotta be 3G, I work on the road so net everywhere is a must.
Will probably just get something similar to Vodafone's prepaid $150 for 12GB over 1 year.
Unless better iPad specific plans are released.

lord
11th April 2010, 11:07 PM
Unless better iPad specific plans are released.

..hope for decent wireless plans to come out.

Not going to happen any time soon. Thats exactly what was said when the iphone 3G was released in Australia.

Joey1983
12th April 2010, 01:09 AM
Not going to happen any time soon. Thats exactly what was said when the iphone 3G was released in Australia.

My current Vodafone plan come with 2GB of data...
Pre iPhone they were giving me 100MB.
Steve also mentioned in the iPad keynote "International data plans coming in June (or July?, can't remember)"
not to mention, they're gonna have to start stocking micro sims.

kyte
12th April 2010, 05:14 AM
I voted wifi but really I am wait and see. If the 3G plans are GOOD (and I mean *really* good) I may go down that path, otherwise I'll just get wifi. I can't really see a huge need for ipad net availability in the circumstances I currently use the iphone net capacity (which is, really just pottering whilst waiting for friends at coffee shops etc)... when at work (which isn't going to be much longer) I find the netbook invaluable for pottering with on lunch breaks or if I need to do a bit of quick research on a site disallowed by the work intranet... the ipad will not be what I want for that. No USB port means its useless for me in that environment.

Syrecx
12th April 2010, 06:28 AM
I chose wifi due to the isolated demographic location i'm in. Since work + home has wifi anyways, i'll just connect to those. =D

Jinkst
12th April 2010, 06:39 AM
64GB Wifi model. Already on it's way from the US :)

DaveOZ
12th April 2010, 06:53 AM
64GB Wifi model. Already on it's way from the US :)

Same. Hopefully delivered today. I have WiFi at work and home.

BiRDBRAiN
12th April 2010, 07:30 AM
Most of the time I need net when I'm out its either to google something or to see where the nearests something is.

I have wifi at work and at home and if I really want to use the net while I'm out I'll just tether my laptop to my iPhone.

So my main use for the iPad will be reading and media, so I don't feel the need to have a 3G iPad.

SLY
12th April 2010, 07:53 AM
64GB wifi for me, it will nevervleave the house, i have no need to take it out anywhere, always have the iPhone for net on the road if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitty
12th April 2010, 08:48 AM
3G. Though a guy at work just got one and is using mywi with his JB'd iphone and it works beautifully. I think a lot of people are going to jailbreak for that reason alone.

samuelowens
12th April 2010, 08:56 AM
I still have to work out where I am going to use it.

If I am going to commute with it, and go down to the folks' place in the country, a 3G model is a must (because I don't intend to faff around with jailbreaking).

OTOH, if I am going to just use it to surf the web on the couch, wi-fi will do.

I suppose if Telstra offered a subsidised 64GB iPad 3G with 500MB data for $50 per month, I'd take that option...

decryption
12th April 2010, 09:07 AM
I'll get a 3G model and pop in a pre-paid mobile broadband SIM - 12GB for $150 (1yr expiry) from Vodafone should do me fine.

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 09:09 AM
3G, because if its an extra $100 or so, I'd rather have the option of buying prepaid data if I need to for whatever reason.

Seems like a stupid question, but am I right in assuming that 3G models also can connect to wifi, much like the iPhone?

decryption
12th April 2010, 09:11 AM
3G, because if its an extra $100 or so, I'd rather have the option of buying prepaid data if I need to for whatever reason.

Seems like a stupid question, but am I right in assuming that 3G models also can connect to wifi, much like the iPhone?

That is a silly question :p
The 3G model also has wi-fi.

MissionMan
12th April 2010, 10:10 AM
it is a really good app and totally worth it. use my iphone 2G on edge and it's still really fast on my netbook. should be good on my ipad. will tell you if it is fast

I'll probably jailbreak the ipad and then tether it to my macbook using that app. Had no reason to tether my iphone because I have a separate 3G sim with 5GB/month but I don't want to have 3 connections and with the lack of tethering on the ipad, this app makes a lot of sense. Would I be wrong in just assuming it would work with the ipad?

Rust
12th April 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm still torn between getting a 3G version or a WiFi version and a MiFi device. The device is $300 on ebay but it would be good to have for various situations including giving the iPad net access on the go...

hobbsy101
12th April 2010, 10:27 AM
my iPad just touched down in Brisbane from San Fran. Seller shipped it out on Friday!

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 10:33 AM
That is a silly question :p
The 3G model also has wi-fi.

Thought so, but if I hadn't asked, it could have been an expensive mistake haha

MissionMan
12th April 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm still torn between getting a 3G version or a WiFi version and a MiFi device. The device is $300 on ebay but it would be good to have for various situations including giving the iPad net access on the go...

I think its probably worth waiting to see if its possible to jailbreak the 3G version with a miwi app otherwise its one more device and one more charger to carry around with you.

I'm not a fan of jail breaking (haven't on my iphone) but why they opted to not allowing tethering to allow you to use this as a modem is a mystery.

Bedford
12th April 2010, 11:59 AM
3G.

It has GPS also, which the wifi one doesn't.

alvse
12th April 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm still on the fence, it really depends on pricing, but at the moment it'll either be 64GB WiFi or 32GB 3G+WiFi. Leaning towards the 3G.

I don't know if I can make do with 16GB, even though atm I don't even fill half the 16GB on the iPhone, I can see the iPad needing more for videos.