PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Apps I'd love to see on the iPad but proabably will never happen :(

Alessiman
11th April 2010, 08:58 PM
So I've been playing with the iPad for day or so now and about to take it on a 5 day business trip (I'm looking forward to see how it handles on long flights)

After looking at some of the great and no so great applications on the iPad I've put a wishlist of apps that I'd love to see bought over to the iPad thats specifically Australian focused

- ABC iView Application. I would love to see this on the iPad. Hell ABC can even charge for it to recover development costs and I'll still buy it

- Broadsheet and tabloid newspapers building apps like the phenomenal USAtoday etc. If they were to build an app like this and even have a moderate monthly subscription (say $10) I'd sign up in a heartbeat. The more I use USA Today and the BBC application the more I realise just how much news I am missing because the content publishers just dont "get" the way consume media

- Melway for the iPad. Yes I know there is the maps application built in, but so pervasive is Melways it makes total sense to have an application of the iPad

- I think these will come sooner rather than later. The Age and SMH Good Food Guide. I am sure this will be released but knowing Fairfax they will find a way to screw it up!

- 7-11 App. What about a free app with Push notification so that if your nearby a 7-11 it will message you to get a $1 donut etc. This application can be used by the likes of Coles, Woolworths etc

- Ikea App. Save trees and move the catalog onto the iPad

- AFL realtime application so you can follow all the stats of the game "live". Maybe even have a streaming radio link for certain games as well

What would you like in the Australian App Store?

decryption
11th April 2010, 09:05 PM
I want pretty much the same as you - I also doubt most of them will arrive any time soon :(

Local news sources & magazines (Fairfax, Newscorp, Crikey, The Monthly) should hurry up and get with the times. I'm happy to pay for content - I don't see any problems with paying $10/month for an iPad version of The Age, up to the same quality as the USA Today app, with the *EXACT SAME* content that's in the printed edition.

The Australian Sky News should also make an iPad app, that brings news in video, text and audio into play. Charge $10/month for that too.

There's so much opportunity - they already make content, just reformat the content for the iPad and charge for it!

doofus
11th April 2010, 09:16 PM
I want
The Australian newspaper
Surfing World magazine
Tracks
The Sunshine Coast Daily
Australian Macworld
The list goes on and on....I just want to replace all that newsprint and glossy paper that comes into my household.
Nearly forgot The Wiggles and Hi Five.

OziMac
12th April 2010, 12:34 AM
There's so much opportunity - they already make content, just reformat the content for the iPad and charge for it!

Dare I say, time for a revival of the MTAU mag in iPad form? ;)

Jinkst
12th April 2010, 06:42 AM
I don't think Ikea necessarily need an app just to get there catalogue out. They're probably of the thinking that putting it on their website in PDF format would be enough.

I think your 7-11 app is hilarious though. Would be great for when out for a day in the summer and you have an urge for a slurpee.

Alessiman
12th April 2010, 06:48 AM
I think your 7-11 app is hilarious though. Would be great for when out for a day in the summer and you have an urge for a slurpee.

If the Gap (U.S Retalier) can spend millions on a totally pointless application I think 7-11 or others could something way better an innovative with a lot less outlay :)

BiRDBRAiN
12th April 2010, 07:23 AM
I would like to see a newspaper app, but I think $10/month is a big too much.

I would think something like $5/month with an option to subscribe quarterly and yearly would be a better price.

I am thinking about all the reading I could get done on the iPad.

When I buy books from O'Reilly (because borders don't stock half the tech book stuff I want!) I usually get the ebook version at the same time. Being able to just get the ebook and read it on the iPad is exciting!

Phillo
12th April 2010, 08:50 AM
- AFL realtime application so you can follow all the stats of the game "live". Maybe even have a streaming radio link for certain games as well

I would love the AFL to be that progressive.

Unfortunately, the AFL internet rights have been sold to Telstra.... and they have a complete distaste for Apple Products. Look at the iphone app that is available now!! While it does have video... it costs a fortune to use it throughout the season!

I recently saw the newsletter that Telstra sends out to business customers. There is not one mention about the iphone throughout the entire publication.

OK.... time to end the rant.

The point being.... whilst Telstra has anything to do with the AFL, you unfortunately wont see anything quality come out for any Apple Product.

Well... thats my opinion anyway.

bok
12th April 2010, 10:11 AM
- 7-11 App. What about a free app with Push notification so that if your nearby a 7-11 it will message you to get a $1 donut etc. This application can be used by the likes of Coles, Woolworths etc

Not possible with the current iPhone OS that the iPad is running. We should see more apps be capable of this under 4.0 though :D

benb
12th April 2010, 12:18 PM
I would like to see Top Gear Australia mag (as well as the other suggestions).

doofus
12th April 2010, 01:26 PM
The first on my wish list seems to have been fulfilled with The Australian producing an app.

The Australian newspaper's ready with app of its own | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/the-australian-newspapers-ready-with-app-of-its-own/story-e6frg996-1225852487755)

Apple's iPad ushers in the era of convergence | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/apples-ipad-ushers-in-the-era-of-convergence/story-e6frg996-1225852482901)

Cybix
12th April 2010, 01:48 PM
ABC have huge plans for iPad from what I've read around the place

Lutze
12th April 2010, 02:21 PM
ABC have huge plans for iPad from what I've read around the place

I love the line about reading newspapers being "intuitive"

sleek881
13th April 2010, 12:20 AM
Australian version of eBay US iPad app. Looks great.

Video (http://www.youtube.com/user/ebayinc?feature=pyv&ad=4394029260&kw=ipad#p/u/0/ouCisgJAqVo)

NeoRicen
13th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Who so pessimistic? I don't see any reason to think those apps, or apps like them, won't come out at some point.

thats awesome
14th April 2010, 02:06 AM
The Australian will have a iPad version of their paper late April - May.

7-11 App. If it isn't in the advertising plan it won't happen. And there is extensive research and planning that would need to take place before this would happen. I think they would keep with the traditional advertising media. Lastly, you will have privacy issues to deal with.

BiRDBRAiN
14th April 2010, 07:00 AM
With the 7-11 thing, I would envisage an app that sits in the background that provides push notifications, and then it being paired with a bunch of people who subscribe to the app's service that provides a GPS "box" that when the app (whether iphone or ipad) hits that "box" they can get the push notification about the delicious donuts in the "box".

Wouldn't be hard to do now that we can write apps that can sit in the background and accept push notifications.

Alessiman
14th April 2010, 07:35 AM
The 7-11 app was jus an example off the top of my head. As birdbrain mentioned the privacy issues are dealt with by the "allow push" notification your getting now in apps

I am curious what sort of apps Aussie developers will come up with

mcilvena
29th May 2010, 07:14 PM
I would love the AFL to be that progressive.

Unfortunately, the AFL internet rights have been sold to Telstra.... and they have a complete distaste for Apple Products. Look at the iphone app that is available now!! While it does have video... it costs a fortune to use it throughout the season!

I recently saw the newsletter that Telstra sends out to business customers. There is not one mention about the iphone throughout the entire publication.

OK.... time to end the rant.

The point being.... whilst Telstra has anything to do with the AFL, you unfortunately wont see anything quality come out for any Apple Product.

Well... thats my opinion anyway.

Coming soon... Twitter / Troy Mcilvena: Sneak peak #2 http://twit ... (http://www.twitter.com/mcilvena/status/14321802812)

mab
29th May 2010, 08:25 PM
I think most of what has been suggested here would be better done with HTML 5 and Safari rather than Apps. Do we really need to go back to the 90's (http://interfacelab.com/is-this-really-the-future-of-magazines-or-why-didnt-they-just-use-html-5/)

6andy6
29th May 2010, 08:41 PM
I agree with the Melways app.

Sorry but Melways just sh*ts all over any road map I have used in the world (and I am a bit of a map freak). Thats why i still use it over a GPS system (whose maps I find like something a teenager would draw).

If they could translate it to an app - charge a flat $10 then maybe a yearly update fee ($5) I would be in like flynn.

Agree with Iview as well - one of the best review apps out only beaten by the BBC one (which I can't access here as never bother to set up a proxy).

raf
29th May 2010, 09:04 PM

Can't say much except watch this space..

HumanMedia
30th May 2010, 01:14 AM
Is Melways a Victoria thing?
Or am I just ignorant (likely)

decryption
30th May 2010, 01:17 AM
I agree with the Melways app.

Sorry but Melways just sh*ts all over any road map I have used in the world (and I am a bit of a map freak). Thats why i still use it over a GPS system (whose maps I find like something a teenager would draw).

If they could translate it to an app - charge a flat $10 then maybe a yearly update fee ($5) I would be in like flynn.

Agree with Iview as well - one of the best review apps out only beaten by the BBC one (which I can't access here as never bother to set up a proxy).

Totally agree with Melways being an awesome map, but $10? hahah, you missed a 0 there.

6andy6
30th May 2010, 10:29 AM
Totally agree with Melways being an awesome map, but $10? hahah, you missed a 0 there.

Ok Ok, maybe I would spring for a bit more. Lol. But $100 when its just cheaper to buy a $40 book -nope.

And Yes, Melways is a Melbourne map. Both Gregorys and UBD stopped making maps (or downsized anyway) for Melbourne cos Melways has such a big dominance.

In fact i think their maps are so good I also brought the Sydney and Brisbane editions they brought out (altho reversily I don't think they have a big market share up there).

Seadog
30th May 2010, 12:18 PM
The 7-11 app fills me with horror.:eek:

Maybe it is my age - but I want to see a little advertising as possible.

PaulF
30th May 2010, 01:02 PM
- ABC iView Application. I would love to see this on the iPad. Hell ABC can even charge for it to recover development costs and I'll still buy it

- Broadsheet and tabloid newspapers building apps like the phenomenal USAtoday etc.

iView is coming, with a dedicated iPad application. Still in development but hopefully next month.. ABC Message Board - iView - Messages (http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=98&m=6855&ps=50&dm=2)

The Australian gave it a shot, and it isn't terrible, but their formula is slightly off. They are $5 a month but you still have pop up ads and what not. I am waiting for better ABC Australia apps. But until then we have BBC (v good), NPR (v good), USA today (ok) and NY Times editors choice (V good).

AdrianW
15th December 2010, 08:05 PM
@6Andy6:
Hi Andy, I am the National Sales Manager for Ausway and tonight the first Melway App is now available!

Melway mApp for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/melway-mapp/id404998669?mt=8#)

It is not $10 and it isn't $100- $19.99 and gives you all Ausway Maps, not just the Melway- Once downloaded, maps are stored on the device. No mobile signal or WiFi is required. The GPS receiver in your iPhone enables your GPS position to be displayed so you can always be confident of your exact location.

Would love to hear your feedback :)

skullnbones
22nd December 2010, 09:46 PM
The ABC iView app is out and it is excellent (wifi only though).

aafuss
26th December 2010, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see apps for other network's catchup sites (7PLUS for instance). The ABC's one is brilliant by the way (very easy navigation-better than what Hulu in the US offers).

Alessiman
27th December 2010, 08:25 AM
@6Andy6:
Hi Andy, I am the National Sales Manager for Ausway and tonight the first Melway App is now available!

Melway mApp for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/melway-mapp/id404998669?mt=8#)

It is not $10 and it isn't $100- $19.99 and gives you all Ausway Maps, not just the Melway- Once downloaded, maps are stored on the device. No mobile signal or WiFi is required. The GPS receiver in your iPhone enables your GPS position to be displayed so you can always be confident of your exact location.

Would love to hear your feedback :)

Andy,

I bought it and a great 1st up effort. The price point is spot on though its not clear if updates are included in the price?

I'd love to see (For Melbourne) a page per page option like you have on the old Melways. The scrolling screen is something that I like while on the move but a static screen when stationary would be brilliant