PDA

View Full Version : April 8 Keynote Podcast Issue

Japester
10th April 2010, 08:39 PM
I downloaded the keynote podcast and was happily watching it on my Apple TV until about the 20-minute mark. The video froze but the audio continued. I checked the file on the computer and it is the file, not the player. The file size was suspiciously small--over 200Mb at a resolution of 640 x 360 (other keynote episodes I have are about 500Mb per hour). Has anyone seen this?

I've seen this before with this feed, so I deleted it and waited until today to try again. Now it's 179Mb. Playing the video, it's no longer a video, but an audio stream with a slide show of stills from the event. Has anyone seen this?

I'm trying to work out if this is an error (very low frame rate?) or if Apple had meant to post a slide show instead of a video. I don't like the slide show. It's distracting that it doesn't move.

I like the podcast because I can keep it and also give it to others so they don't have to stream or download it.

I will compare the streaming version.

NathR32
10th April 2010, 08:41 PM
There were alot of other people reporting problems yesterday saying it would stop or fault at around 19 or 20 minutes in.

jack112006
10th April 2010, 08:41 PM
I am having the exact same issues. As you said, there have been issues in the past, but they were normally fixed within a few hours. It has been quite frustrating.

Japester
10th April 2010, 08:43 PM
What concerns me is the idea that Apple may have posted a video, then decided to change it to a slide-show format to save bandwidth (the working podcast closest in length is 52:37 at 570.5MB). I hate the slide-show.

mattDC5R
10th April 2010, 08:56 PM
I had the same problem with the last keynote, whatever that was for, Snow leopard i think, gave up trying to get it after a week.

tryed watching it direct from the apple website in quicktime? or trying to put on an iphone etc?

Japester
10th April 2010, 08:59 PM
I had the same problem with the last keynote, whatever that was for, Snow leopard i think, gave up trying to get it after a week.

tryed watching it direct from the apple website in quicktime? or trying to put on an iphone etc?

In both cases, it's definitely the file at fault. I've verified them on my Mac. I will watch it from the website.

I hate streaming because I can't keep the file. The podcast has been great but it seems they have a habit of not noticing that their files are incomplete when the feed is updated.

bennyling
10th April 2010, 09:03 PM
After hearing about others' issues I checked my copy that downloaded via the podcast feed yesterday night - as it turns out, my copy of the Stevenote is roughly 700MB in size, and plays perfectly after the 19-20 minute mark.

Now, if only I had time to watch it... =/

Japester
10th April 2010, 09:08 PM
After hearing about others' issues I checked my copy that downloaded via the podcast feed yesterday night - as it turns out, my copy of the Stevenote is roughly 700MB in size, and plays perfectly after the 19-20 minute mark.

Perhap I might obtain it?

bennyling
10th April 2010, 09:12 PM
Perhap I might obtain it?

Sure dude, PM me your address and I'll mail a DVD of it off on Monday for you :thumbup:

opilot87
10th April 2010, 09:18 PM
Or you could just download/stream it from the Apple website (problem free), in normal or HD quality. I had the same issues with the podcast that has been mentioned. Mine was also under 200mb

Apple - QuickTime - April 2010 Apple Special Event (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1004fk8d5gt/event/)

Ollie

Japester
10th April 2010, 09:46 PM
I've just tried to download it on a third computer. On all three computers, despite unsubscribing, deleting all podcast files, deleting the Downloads folder in the iTunes folder, I can't get any of them to download anything but the 179MB version. I'll have to go with bennyling's plan. I could download it, yes, but if you get it through the podcast feed, it gets all that metadata that says it's a podcast.

Bogus Jimmy
10th April 2010, 10:13 PM
I was streaming it on my iPhone on Friday afternoon and it got to that point and displayed a message "This is an audio only stream".

iphonedev
11th April 2010, 12:01 AM

Can I have a copy of it as well Thanks

davidw89
12th April 2010, 04:17 PM
Same issue, keep getting the 179MB version!

jleetj
12th April 2010, 08:22 PM

Japester
15th April 2010, 12:28 AM
I've now tried again and got the full 704.9MB version. Here's a treat for all concerned. Artwork for the file:

http://idisk.mac.com/japester/public/mactalk/2010/04/apple_april_8_iphone_os_4_keynote.jpg

Japester
15th April 2010, 05:47 PM
If anyone still needs this, I'll send you a DVD. PM me.

euphospug
15th April 2010, 07:40 PM
deleting the podcast and re-update in iTunes fixed it for me