PDA

View Full Version : iPad OS4 delayed until Spring

entropy
10th April 2010, 09:59 AM
One interesting snippet from the OS4 preview was that while the iphone gets OS4 in 'Summer' , presumably with the 4th gen iphone, the iPad will not get it until 'Fall'.

I can see two alternative reasons for this:

The iPad team was working in secret isolation from the rest of Apple, and thus had no access to OS4 development, and vice versa. So the hooks for ipad are not yet written.
In the long term ipad hardware revisions may be intended to sync with ipod revisions each September. Thus there is the possibility of new ipad hardware in September.

I suspect the first reason is the more likely, but I must admit that possibility 2 gives me pause. I have been all set to pull the trigger on a 3G ipad if they become available in the last week of April (I go on hols first week of May), but if it is delayed past that I think I will wait until September to see what crops up. After all a camera for ichat would pretty much make it an ultimate portable computer for me. I would not bother with a laptop.

What do other people think?

Lutze
10th April 2010, 10:04 AM
We all know how secretive Apple are, and we know that any ipad api's in os 4 would have given the game away. I think it's possible, however, that next year the ipad will slot into the september issue.

Though, it depends on hardware and sales go. Of it flattens off then maybe expect an upgrade sooner?

cosmichobo
10th April 2010, 10:20 AM
I can't imagine Apple releasing a major hardware upgrade for the iPad for at least 12 months. It wouldn't make sense.

ozerus
10th April 2010, 10:25 AM
could you imagine how pissed people would be if apple released another ipad less then 6 months later.

It'd be the iphone os team not having access to the ipad

Jinkst
10th April 2010, 10:31 AM
One interesting snippet from the OS4 preview was that while the iphone gets OS4 in 'Summer' , presumably with the 4th gen iphone, the iPad will not get it until 'Fall'.

I can see two alternative reasons for this:

The iPad team was working in secret isolation from the rest of Apple, and thus had no access to OS4 development, and vice versa. So the hooks for ipad are not yet written.
In the long term ipad hardware revisions may be intended to sync with ipod revisions each September. Thus there is the possibility of new ipad hardware in September.

I suspect the first reason is the more likely, but I must admit that possibility 2 gives me pause. I have been all set to pull the trigger on a 3G ipad if they become available in the last week of April (I go on hols first week of May), but if it is delayed past that I think I will wait until September to see what crops up. After all a camera for ichat would pretty much make it an ultimate portable computer for me. I would not bother with a laptop.

What do other people think?

I do agree with your second point that it might be Apple's way of syncing iPod and iPad releases in the future.

However I don't think they'd release a hardware upgraded iPad only five months after the original. Especially seeing as the 3G version will have only been out for just over four months by the time September rolls around.

For all we know though Apple could keep iPad for the Spring quarter.
- iPad in March/April
- iPhone in June/July
- iPod in September/October

That's a new release more or less each season but Winter in the States. (You'd think they'd be more inclined for releases around then with Xmas around, strange.)

Or the other reason could be they want the extra few months for apps to be constructed specifically for iPad so as to not have anything buggy and be able to have as many as possible available for the release of 4.0. Seeing as the iPhone already has it's customer base built, a buggy bunch of apps will be overlooked alot easier than those built for an emerging device in the iPad.

Bottom line, there's many reasons we could speculate on why 4.0 won't come to the iPad til Spring/Fall. But unless Apple gives us actual reasons it's just that, speculation :)

Seakip
10th April 2010, 10:35 AM
iChat video with front facing camera evidence mounts in iPhone OS 4 -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/ichat-video-with-front-facing-camera-evidence-mounts-in-iphone-o/)

Boom! iPhone in June comes w/ forward facing camera, 4.0 released for iPad, BOOM! New iPad with forward facing camera.

kevinnugent
10th April 2010, 11:33 AM
iChat video with front facing camera evidence mounts in iPhone OS 4 -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/ichat-video-with-front-facing-camera-evidence-mounts-in-iphone-o/)

Boom! iPhone in June comes w/ forward facing camera, 4.0 released for iPad, BOOM! New iPad with forward facing camera.

Or maybe a web cam is released as an accessory for the iPad.

ipwn
10th April 2010, 11:34 AM
I think the delayed release of os4 for iPad would have a lot to do with letting developers catchup, they need to build up the app store with iPad apps before having them to all re submit os4 apps only 3 months later

WindowsVista
10th April 2010, 12:00 PM
I think it would all be quite rushed if it were to come out with iPhone OS 4. Developers would go into overload.

tom5955
10th April 2010, 12:09 PM
I really doubt that they will try and release the iPad at the same time as the iPods. They described as a whole new type of device, so i think it will have its own launch around April

entropy
10th April 2010, 12:22 PM
On one level it makes sense to spread out product releases, but come Christmas the ipad will start looking a bit stale. iAppliances' biggest sales are the Christmas quarter, so that, combined with a 'fall'' release date for iPad OS4 is what make s me suspicious of a September upgrade.

The essential specs (RAM, graphics etc.) do not seem to justify a significantly different OS to the iphone, and hence release date.

And I don't think, given the rapid proliferation of ipad apps, and upgrades of current iphone apps that is going on at present, it has anything to do with giving 'time' for developers.