PDA

View Full Version : Best phone to pair with an ipad for wifi?

mitty
9th April 2010, 09:25 PM
Okay. So my partner and I both want ipads. I'll be getting the 3G, but his plan is to get just the wifi.

We want to know for him, what phone (ironically, not the iphone as we all know unless it's JB'd) can we buy that can be a wifi access point? Are there any that anybody here knows of?

I think possibly one of the HTC ones does it (maybe even the Desire).

BTW please don't suggest the Mifi. Although it's a cool device, the idea here is to only have one 3G account (not two).

WindowsVista
9th April 2010, 10:33 PM
The Nexus One does it so I'm told. Maybe a good *not crap nokia* alternative to the iPhone.

lord
10th April 2010, 10:09 AM
Nexus one, Milestone

Exocet
10th April 2010, 10:14 AM
Any S60 Symbian Nokia which has a WiFi transceiver, and an app I can send you called JoikuSpot.

mcargy08
10th April 2010, 10:57 AM
Any S60 Symbian Nokia which has a WiFi transceiver, and an app I can send you called JoikuSpot.

Joikuspot? Can we have that please?

DeKa
10th April 2010, 10:57 AM
As Exocet said, any Nokia S60 Symbian phone can do it.
3 re-sell this app as "3Spot" and have a 7 supported phones the currently sell - but you can install it on any Nokia S60 phone on the 3 network: Three - Mobile Broadband - Modems - Modems - Mobile as a modem - 3Spot Application (http://www.three.com.au/3spot)

Paris
11th April 2010, 02:46 AM
A rooted Nexus One does it spectacularly.

Be aware: I don't think the iPhone (Jailbroken, obviously) can do it, as it relies on the computer to create an ad hoc network for it to share the internet over.

DaveOZ
11th April 2010, 07:59 AM
Be aware: I don't think the iPhone (Jailbroken, obviously) can do it, as it relies on the computer to create an ad hoc network for it to share the internet over.

?? MyWi creates a WiFi hotspot without using another computer. I had it working last year but my iPhone is no longer JB'd.

Paris
11th April 2010, 09:09 AM
?? MyWi creates a WiFi hotspot without using another computer. I had it working last year but my iPhone is no longer JB'd.

Oh, excellent! I stand corrected!

I don't JailBreak my phone, and haven't since the 1.0 days - so I'm not up with the latest JailBreaking stuff.

That's awesome - thanks!

leon
11th April 2010, 09:43 AM
I would pick up someone's old iPhone 3G and jailbreak it.
Possibly June when the new iPhones come out and people begin upgrading and flooding Mactalk, eBay etc with their old iPhones.

Who knows, might be able to pick one up very cheaply.