PDA

View Full Version : iPad delivery

dickg
9th April 2010, 03:29 PM
I have free satellite broadband connected by Ethernet. I am interested in an iPad (mainly for e-books but also newspapers but not gaming or video).

As I understand it the iPad has wifi and will soon have 3G connectivity. I presume 3G will cost me, on a plan which I don't want to have.

Would Airport or any other modem/router give me access to e-books? Or could I download e-books to my 24" iMac and connect to an iPad via wifi?

Sorry if this question is unclear but, as I drive a car but don't know what's under the bonnet, I have the same technical limitations on computers.

TheKeddi
9th April 2010, 03:49 PM
If you have any kind of wifi in the house then yes you can get ebooks on your ipad,,

Yes 3g will cost you, that's why I went with the wireless only ipad.

IBoos app is awesome and if you already have some ebooks in epub format you can drop them into itunes and they sync with ibooks wonderfully, just like all your music!!!

Cybix
9th April 2010, 04:20 PM
you could actually set your iMac to 'push' wi-fi to your iPad. (ala internet sharing). Providing your iMac is getting it's internet from "ethernet" it can share it out over wi-fi.

I do this at the in-law's to get their PS3 on the net without a wi-fi router. :)

tom_mclean
9th April 2010, 04:35 PM
This is a good article on sharing your internet connection wirelessly for OS X.5 from Apple, should be pretty much the same process for Snow Leopard.

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Sharing your Internet connection (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html)