PDA

View Full Version : Airport Theory

tania2412
29th August 2005, 01:06 PM
Theoretical question for you. I have a D-Link ADSL Router at home, which my Windows PC connects to via network cable to get broadband internet. If I bought an Apple laptop, can you plug an airport base station straight into the Router with...a network cable?...and lo and behold I'd have internet on my Powerbook from anywhere in the house? The router isn't wireless and I'm worried that I should've got a wireless one for this all to work.

helloroto
29th August 2005, 01:11 PM
Yeap this should work, I have a base station and use it to plug into Nana's broadband whenever i am there... Loving the "walk anywhere in the house" internet connection :D :D :ph34r:

Cheers,
Roto

dangelovich
29th August 2005, 01:13 PM
Depending on the features of the router, yes.
In fact, most routers/DSL modems will support such a function.
Again, depending on the features, you could also connect a hub/switch to the router, and then plug in the wireless access point; this allow you to keep the Windows PC plugged into the device instead of needing another wireless card for it too.

W2ttsy
29th August 2005, 01:21 PM
if you want to go truely wireless, id recommend getting an airport express module.

accepts ethernet connections from a modem, has USB printer streaming, and iTunes audio streaming.

you can then set up the modem to be a bridge, and let your wireless module take care of the PPPoE connection stuff.

this is the setup i have at home and it works a treat. you can even control the PPPoE status from your airport menu item. pretty handy if you have to connect, disconnect, or reconnect your modem.

W2ttsy