PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of getting US itunes for ipad?

digoxin
8th April 2010, 10:56 AM
For those who have received their ipads and are using US itunes I would appreciate some feedback

I currently have iphone 3g with a Australian itunes account with about $100 worth of apps and over $2000 worth of itunes music in addition to downloaded podcast. This is currently stored and accessed through an iMac.

Getting the ipad in the next few days. I gather there are significant benefits of linking this to an US itunes account. iBooks, more and cheaper movie/tv/music choices. I will probably be linking the ipad to my MBA as I will travelling for several weeks with both. So some benefit of starting afresh with US itunes.

I understand you can't have an 2 itunes account linked to one ipad. If so will I lose access to all my iphone 3g downloads(Oz itunes account). Does US itunes give access to Australian content(eg Supercoach, Metlink, Tramtracker) ... music..tv shows.

Are most people getting an ipad using a US account or using their OZ account and waiting for ibooks to come later?

tcn33
8th April 2010, 11:00 AM
I understand you can't have an 2 itunes account linked to one ipad.

You can. It's just the same as having two or more iTunes accounts linked to one iPhone.

Dust For Eyes
8th April 2010, 12:12 PM
You can. It's just the same as having two or more iTunes accounts linked to one iPhone.

Are you sure about that? This story (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/u-s-ipad-has-restrictions-for-australian-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GizmodoAustralia+%28Gizmodo+A ustralia%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) says you can not do it with the iPad.

http://media.gizmodo.com.au/wp//2010/04/iTunes-533x400.png

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 12:29 PM
I have both accounts.

My itunes is logged into the US account before i plug my ipad in, but it still will install any apps you have in your Australian account as they just all mix in on your iTunes.

It does work and works well, now with music, I have no idea as I don't have any from America.

digoxin
8th April 2010, 12:31 PM
That sounds great. Will get a US account then.

entropy
8th April 2010, 12:32 PM
Someone with an ipad will have to check if there are new restrictions, but you get that message if your iPhone has been synced to (say) your Australian account and you attempt to use your us account, whether downloading music or even updating an app, and vice versa.

To use the US account, the iPhone needs to be first synced to iTunes logged to the us itunes store. This can be a pain. When trying to update apps if you do not remember which store the apps were bought from. I try to only buy apps from the oz store to minimise this problem, but it is still doable and no doubt worth it for the ibookstore and app. It just means when updating apps you only do it through iTunes, logging into each store seperately before updating your apps, log into the store you want the iPhone synced to by default, THEN sync your iPhone to update your apps.

tcn33
8th April 2010, 12:58 PM
Are you sure about that? This story (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/u-s-ipad-has-restrictions-for-australian-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GizmodoAustralia+%28Gizmodo+A ustralia%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) says you can not do it with the iPad.

That story is making assumptions that are not entirely correct. You get that message if you are signed into the AU store, and it won't go away until you sync the iPad with a Mac that's signed into the US store. But if you have apps in iTunes they will all sync to your iPad, and all of them will work regardless of which store they come from.

tom5955
8th April 2010, 04:04 PM
If you are signed in on your US iTunes account on the iPad, you can still use all the content you have purchased on the Aus iTunes on it. The one iTunes account restriction is only for the iTunes store, the App Store and the iBook store, not the music, videos and apps you have bought previously.

Jinkst
8th April 2010, 05:48 PM
Ok, so I am trying to sign up an account on the US iTunes store. I've purchased a US iTunes card and have the code needed to redeem it, but it is still asking me to select a payment method when creating it, which has a valid US address, ie Visa, MCD etc, which I don't have.

I tried PayPal as the method but as my PayPal is registered to my Australian address that wouldn't work either.

I was just wondering how people were getting around this?

Jinkst
8th April 2010, 06:30 PM
Nevermind, sorted it out...

colbris
12th April 2010, 06:28 PM
Ask me in private for the answer