PDA

View Full Version : New GPS App: 30 days free

kyte
7th April 2010, 03:45 PM
Interesting concept. Downloading as I type:

Can buy more than 30 days.. $9.99 for a month, $49.99 for a year and $59.99 for 3 years. Ratings seem to be either very good or very bad, with few in between, and nobody has had the courage to write their views into a review.

I don't expect it to be as good as the others, but it might fill a gap in the middle for people who don't need or want all the bells and whistles and frequent costly updates

I'll be back when I've had a chance to test it (unless someone else does it first, I'm grounded for a few days, bloody emphysema)

Mocal GPS Navigation (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/mocal-gps-navigation/id356982991?mt=8)

Hmm, its an aussie app! I'm already keen. See the Youtube tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ORQPclgjc)

The website (http://www.mocal.com.au/index.html): I'm seriously considering it. I'll do the 30 day test of course, but I can already see that I might use it extensively, because its relevant to Australia!

Goodbye
7th April 2010, 03:46 PM
So what is it? Got a link?

Nevermind :D

kyte
7th April 2010, 04:06 PM
So what is it? Got a link?

Nevermind :D

Yeah, had a brainfart. I'll blame hypoxia.

In the meantime, info available from my desk: you need to download the voice file, its a UK male and its quite acceptable. It also does text to speech: a bit stilted but ok nonetheless.

Looks like the maps are offboard (makes sense, the iTunes d/l was tiny). I don't yet know if the maps get saved or if you have to d/l every time. That could be a pain. However, it downloads the entire route so once you plug in the address, it downloads what it needs for the entire journey.

There is a "play" button which lets you see the route, and its via this that I will see if there are warnings for cams schools etc, so far no schools, though I can see the icons for them (and for petrol stations). There might be something in settings which sets up an audible warning. Sadly no speed cam showing.

The map is clear, easy to see. No idea if the colours can be themed or changed. Theres a lovely large graphic in top left representing turns, roundabouts etc.

More to come...

[edit] ARGHHHHHHHHHH Navteq for POIs and Trulocal for places. Oh well, can't have everything. Its better than some and not as good as others.

kyte
7th April 2010, 04:27 PM
Looks like the maps are offboard (makes sense, the iTunes d/l was tiny). I don't yet know if the maps get saved or if you have to d/l every time. That could be a pain. However, it downloads the entire route so once you plug in the address, it downloads what it needs for the entire journey.

From their FAQ
Q05. How much data does Mocal use?

The first time you use Mocal it downloads maps as it needs them. Once a map has been downloaded, then it is stored on your phone until an updated map becomes available or until you clear your cached maps from within the Mocal Settings menu.

If for example you were travelling from St Leonards (Sydney) to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. This journey is 106km and would take just under 2 hours.
1. The first time you make this journey Mocal will use 1.2Mb of data (iPhone Sent: 287KB / Received: 983KB).
2. The next time you make this journey, Mocal will only use 110KB (0.1Mb) of data (iPhone Sent: 42KB / Received: 68Kb), because the maps have been stored on your phone and do not need to be downloaded again.

I think this is quite acceptable.

muddie@mac.com
7th April 2010, 05:17 PM
I have been using Mocal for 3 weeks now and I think it's great.
It's not quite as polished as other GPS apps but the fact that it uses up-to-the-minute maps is it's biggest plus.
I was testing it out when I first downloaded it and got it to take me to a friends house. It took me on a road that had only just opened. I had no idea it was even there and it was only 5km from my house.

Compare this with the Tom Tom maps that are over 3 years old and you can see what this app has over that one.

I'll be buying a 3 year subscription as soon as my 30 days are up.

kyte
7th April 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll be buying a 3 year subscription as soon as my 30 days are up.

I think I probably will too, I want to support local developers as well as have up to date maps. I like the idea that the maps are updated as... well...as they are updated. So there's no waiting for a whole new release.

Speed warnings are not such a huge issue for me anymore, I've discovered that I don't actually speed :D

kyte
14th April 2010, 06:49 PM
OK, this isnt bad, the nav is decent but it just doesnt have the features my other nav apps have. Sorry, Mocal...

p53
15th April 2010, 09:24 PM
OK, this isnt bad, the nav is decent but it just doesnt have the features my other nav apps have. Sorry, Mocal...
what features do you mean kyte? I'm looking for a nav app (I've never bought a gps or a nav app so don't really know what features to look for)

kyte
16th April 2010, 06:14 AM
what features do you mean kyte? I'm looking for a nav app (I've never bought a gps or a nav app so don't really know what features to look for)

I'd like audio warnings for overspeeding (not that I do it much) and for the software to know what the road speeds are supposed to be, and I'd like warnings for fixed speed and red light cameras.

Eaglesteve if he were here would want those, and also warnings for school zones.

Other than that, for a basic navigation app its very good. If you consider its cost over three years, its way cheaper than the alternatives, so if you just want something to tell you where to go, its a decent solution. I'm actually rethinking my previous, because I reckon it won't be long before tomtom et al start introducing in-app purchases of new maps, whereas with Mocal, you are *always* up to date. I'd prefer to have the maps up to date, than the warnings I would also like to have.

p53
20th April 2010, 04:15 PM
thanks kyte. i had a read of your GPS apps comparison/review too. it's useful info.

kyte
21st April 2010, 04:54 AM
thanks kyte. i had a read of your GPS apps comparison/review too. it's useful info.

O god. I *really* need to update that, bigtime. There are so many changes, I wrote about the first version of everything and we are way down the track from there. I've actually begun to use Navigon now, its finally gotten up to speed with things like fixed cams and school zones (though you only get a single "Warning! Watch your speed!" for everything, a bit like Copilot's "Warning! Point of Interest!" for everything. But at least there's *something". Mocal will need to get some way of alerting on POIs, as well as road speed, I think.

I should probably do a review of the "offboard" and free nav apps as well, there are quite a few now (and most are rubbish, TBH).