PDA

View Full Version : My iPad is here!

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Sent from the States express USPS and it arrived this afternoon.

So to all those who ordered the same way on Ebay, yours should be here soon too!!!

it's Awesome!!!!

Just putting all my apps and things on it now, can't wait to give it a good workout!!!!

I am like a kid at xmas time! hehehehe

yinyang
7th April 2010, 03:42 PM
show off....!!! ;)

Gonna wait for the 3G version, and then we'll see who's laughing!! :p

Devil rolla
7th April 2010, 03:42 PM
pics PLEASE !!!
man, so jealous.

jaysee
7th April 2010, 03:45 PM
Mine is on a plane home now... YAY! Can't wait to play.

Just saw the post on the front page. Hope no-one from customs sees it... 17 iPads probably exceeds the "fair number for personal use" that you can import.... ;-)

John

forno
7th April 2010, 03:56 PM
Lucke keddi

I am waiting for the next iPhone before I decide on an iPad. If the update is like the last on 3G-3GS I will get an iPad, if its a good update I will go for the iPhone. Hope it unibody like the 3G iPad

NathR32
7th April 2010, 03:56 PM
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!! :p

The_Hawk
7th April 2010, 03:59 PM
Not that we all haven't seen them otherwise, but...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/Other/Random002/worthless.gif

MightyAtom
7th April 2010, 04:04 PM
Sent from the States express USPS and it arrived this afternoon.

That's incredibly quick. What state was it posted from? Mine shipped from Virginia yesterday, hopefully will be here by Friday.

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 04:10 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7425.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7423.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7422.jpg

Aussie Duckhead on the charger!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7420.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7418.jpg

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure, but watching the tracking of it was agony! it still says left customs yesterday, lol.

Now to buy some books in the ibooks store, I have the Kindle app up and running too, works flawlessly! just redownloaded my books from there too.

I am in awe of this amazing device!!!

aptus
7th April 2010, 04:14 PM
Congrats, mine arriving within a few days. Question as I have only an Australian iTunes store account how do you activate the ipad and access US store any directions appreciated

mitty
7th April 2010, 04:16 PM
Congrats to you thekeddi. Enjoy :)

lukemc
7th April 2010, 04:17 PM
mines sitting at the mascot sorting facility so i will have it tomorrow!

im tempted to try and pick it up from fedex tonight

Congrats thekeddi

Cassy
7th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Sooo incredibly jealous!

Congrats thekeddi :)

Bring on the AU release >.<

OziMac
7th April 2010, 05:01 PM
Wow, that is insane - USPS Express Mail usually takes 5 days, the earliest I found anywhere for shipping even with UPS or Fedex straight away on Saturday was to arrive by Thursday (mine's getting here Friday).

Good on you TheKeddi, hope it brings you much joy. :)

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Congrats, mine arriving within a few days. Question as I have only an Australian iTunes store account how do you activate the ipad and access US store any directions appreciated

I made sure I was logged into my iTunes US account before plugging my iPad in.

There are lots of how too threads on getting the US itunes account, just tell em you live in coupertino like I did! Lol

I got a couple Of tv shows from the iTunes store, they look awesome on the iPad!

tom5955
7th April 2010, 05:24 PM

Why do you need a US iTunes account? most of the iPad apps are on the Australian store now.

seaQuest_AMD
7th April 2010, 05:24 PM
mines sitting at the mascot sorting facility so i will have it tomorrow!

im tempted to try and pick it up from fedex tonight

Congrats thekeddi

3:55pm this afternoon?

If so, mine is waiting with yours :D

Can you pick them up from FedEx? (Called FedEx, still hasn't cleared customs :( )

lukemc
7th April 2010, 05:36 PM
3:55pm this afternoon?

If so, mine is waiting with yours :D

Can you pick them up from FedEx? (Called FedEx, still hasn't cleared customs :( )

Musta been on the same plane!

Yeah you can pick them up from alexandria if you organise it. IF they clear customs tonight and you call before they close they will hold it tomorrow and not send it out on a truck.

Im thinking of doing that incase i miss the fedex guy tomorrow.

seaQuest_AMD
7th April 2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah you can pick them up from alexandria if you organise it. IF they clear customs tonight and you call before they close they will hold it tomorrow and not send it out on a truck.

Im thinking of doing that incase i miss the fedex guy tomorrow.

Im getting it delivered to a business address so not terribly worried about missing it, just hope customs don't take their sweet time.

seaQuest_AMD
7th April 2010, 05:39 PM
I made sure I was logged into my iTunes US account before plugging my iPad in.

There are lots of how too threads on getting the US itunes account, just tell em you live in coupertino like I did! Lol

I got a couple Of tv shows from the iTunes store, they look awesome on the iPad!

So can you activate it with a US account and then switch back to your Aussie account?

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 05:43 PM
Mine wasn't sent fedex. I had USPS postage. I'm in south Australia and So not sure where others ipads may be.

I haven't tried to add my Aussie itunes account yet but apps I downloaded for my iPhone in australia work no worries! I just synced them on at the same time.

kevinnugent
7th April 2010, 07:16 PM
Why do you need a US iTunes account? most of the iPad apps are on the Australian store now.

You don't need one, Tom. But.... iBooks doesn't work yet and I think there are numerous apps, movies and TV shows that aren't here yet.

Comet
7th April 2010, 07:36 PM
Lucky you! Mine that I got through Decryption hasn't arrived yet due to a stupid courier delivery guy who couldn't figure out how to deliver a package to a hotel.

seaQuest_AMD
7th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Sweet mines gone through customs, ready for delivery tomorrow!!!!

lukemc
7th April 2010, 08:37 PM
im going to set up my ipad with my US account, which is the same as my appleTV.

Ill sync it to my laptop.

My imac is running my aussie account.

iphonedev
7th April 2010, 09:01 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7425.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7423.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7422.jpg

Aussie Duckhead on the charger!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7420.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/thekeddi/IMG_7418.jpg

Nice!!

Mine arrives in 2 days!

iphonedev
7th April 2010, 09:06 PM
Mine wasn't sent fedex. I had USPS postage. I'm in south Australia and So not sure where others ipads may be.

I haven't tried to add my Aussie itunes account yet but apps I downloaded for my iPhone in australia work no worries! I just synced them on at the same time.

Out of curiosity,have you had any issues with WiFi or USB charging?

Fingers crossed,that your response is "NO" :)

gumby08
7th April 2010, 09:25 PM
Congrats, and happy birthday :)

kevinnugent
7th April 2010, 09:29 PM
Out of curiosity,have you had any issues with WiFi or USB charging?

Fingers crossed,that your response is "NO" :)

My wife's won't charge off her iMacs' USB. We had to set up a charger off the 240 volt downstairs. Mine charges off my MBP's USB no problem.

Getting them both home, both have shown very weak wifi performance. For example, in the same room as the router - full bars. Next room (gyprock and wood frame wall separating) = no bars and no signal.

I've tried a few fixes off the interwebs and a couple of things now work better. Gwen can now browse and surf the web downstairs... and I get coverage in the room three rooms over.... so things are better in that regard.

stevensr123
7th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone, can someone recomend me an ebay seller?

I'm after a 64gb ipad and parting with 800+ dollars is obviously a risk. Or is it these days on ebay? also can someone give me some info about the import duty tax and other charges i might be hit with?

thanks so much.

Rimfya
7th April 2010, 10:23 PM
Hey to those who have one already, is the book store region locked out of an Apple Australia store account?

Above all else I'm excited to be reading books on the iPad, but I'll be super-disappointed if there's a region lock on the content...

MightyAtom
7th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone, can someone recomend me an ebay seller?
also can someone give me some info about the import duty tax and other charges i might be hit with?

If the value of the package is equivalent to AUD$1000 or over you'll be hit with 10% GST and 5% duty. You might want to opt for the 32GB model.

As to a seller just pick someone with a good price and feedback who has sold other high end items recently. Just use common sense really.

tymez
7th April 2010, 10:28 PM
Just go with a seller with good feedback and one that is willing to post via courier rather than USPS.

If it doesn't cost you over $1000 AUD (excluding delivery) then there is no import duties on it.

And to be sure it's not held up in customs, email your courier company the invoice to prove how much you paid so it's on hand for clearance.

stevensr123
7th April 2010, 11:19 PM
ok thanks people, One I'm after is about 900 AU dollars + 60 Dollars for the delivery.

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 03:12 AM
I can charge my ipad on my white MacBook unibody. It started doing it when I first plugged it in.

No probs with wifi as yet. The same as my MacBook.

I put my first epub book on there tonight and it works a treat!

iphonedev
8th April 2010, 04:57 AM
I can charge my ipad on my white MacBook unibody. It started doing it when I first plugged it in.

No probs with wifi as yet. The same as my MacBook.

I put my first epub book on there tonight and it works a treat!

Thanks!

Quick qn: How is the Mail app,different from IPhone?

Is it a Universal Inbox?

Cheers

lukemc
8th April 2010, 05:27 AM
seaquest_AMD if you want it today you might have to go pick it up as the auto dial thingy fedex have is saying delivery on the 9th to me. Im picking mine up from alexandria just to be sure today.

seaQuest_AMD
8th April 2010, 06:33 AM
The website says it will be delivered by close of business today for me.

I guess I can wait one more day worst case :p

seaquest_AMD if you want it today you might have to go pick it up as the auto dial thingy fedex have is saying delivery on the 9th to me. Im picking mine up from alexandria just to be sure today.

Jinkst
8th April 2010, 07:32 AM
TheKeddi, I notice you have iBooks, and obviously a US iTunes account to have the app. Just wondering if you also have an Aus iTunes account, and are able to sync apps from both stores to your iPad at the same time?

I'm assuming it's possible, but would rather know before wasting my time setting up a States acc if it's not going to work...

DaveOZ
8th April 2010, 08:02 AM
I've had dual US and AUS iTunes accounts on my iPhone since day 1. You can switch between the two and still run apps bought of either at any time. Same with music and media. Obviously if you update apps from the device it will only do the ones purchased from the account you are logged into at the time. I can only assume the iPad will work the same way.

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 08:17 AM
Yes, I have both stores apps on my ipad at the same time, no problems, so yeah if you want iBooks now, you should make a US account, only takes 5 mins and is as easy as anything! I am super happy at the way the epub books you put on yourself look, I have hundreds of books now I can read, I had them for my kindle but that was sold months ago! lol

I haven't used the mail app yet as I just use my Gmail page, and that looks awesome on the ipad! You get the preview pane and all your mail is down the left hand side just like normal.

I am buying a book like case for it today as it makes me scared when carrying it around the house in case I drop it, so better to be safe than sorry, i don't think it would bounce well on our tiles!

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 08:19 AM
Also, I tried reading in bed last night with all the lights off, it's great how you can dim the screen! I had no trouble with eye strain or anything, but I would like the option of making the page colour different, like a dull yellow or something other than white, but that's the only thing I can find to worry about so far!

lukemc
8th April 2010, 08:50 AM
im leaving to pick mine up from fedex in 30 or so, can pick it up at 10am woo hoo!

How do you sync both accounts keddi, does it not rem0ove your US ones when you go to sync the aussie ones?

tryandbyte
8th April 2010, 09:33 AM
Currently I have apps from 3 accounts running on my iPad, so you are safe there.

For the AU users, a friend showed me yesterday that you can buy some iPad apps on iTunes on the Mac then sync it onto the iPad. Which saves you from getting a US account but not as convenient.

So far it seems heavier than I expected but meets all my expectations of it. I have some accessories for the iPad, so will write small reviews as I receive them.

Thank you again for Decryption for picking the iPad up for me. :)

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 11:11 AM
im leaving to pick mine up from fedex in 30 or so, can pick it up at 10am woo hoo!

How do you sync both accounts keddi, does it not rem0ove your US ones when you go to sync the aussie ones?

I have he US iTunes logged in on my Mac. But it will let you add anything you already have no matter where you got it from. It doesn't delete other stuff to do it.

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 11:12 AM
The ipad is working its magic already!

I have shown it to two family members who doubted its coolness and they are ready to pre order for the Australian release!

One even offered to buy mine right now! YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

iphonedev
8th April 2010, 11:26 AM
The ipad is working its magic already!

I have shown it to two family members who doubted its coolness and they are ready to pre order for the Australian release!

One even offered to buy mine right now! YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you

I have got 2 of my mates who are ready to buy mine which is arriving tomoorow for $850 bucks.

Anybody who offers a bit more than that can get mine:)

It's indeed working it's magic.

Cheers

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 12:31 PM
The eBay seller I bought mine from has upped the price another 200 bucks because of demand now! I couldn't believe it when i looked!

djiashi
8th April 2010, 01:53 PM
The eBay seller I bought mine from has upped the price another 200 bucks because of demand now! I couldn't believe it when i looked!

it's already 8 days into April. wouldn't be too hard to wait a couple more weeks before we get it here.

Cassy
8th April 2010, 02:11 PM
it's already 8 days into April. wouldn't be too hard to wait a couple more weeks before we get it here.

only if Apple actually release it late April :P

SRG
8th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Well the upward price movement may be short lived, as firstly these are not in short supply in the states (so sellers can get them from stores) and as more people see the prices on e-bay the more sellers will think I will go grab a couple and sell them.

Laws of supply and demand will kick in an prices should come down fairly quick to a modest premium.

Also the closer the overseas release gets and the closer the 3G version gets the less the wifi US units will appeal again pushing prices back down.

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Yep, the price fluctuation will be short lived,

What would happen if Apple suddenly announced iPad sales in Australia will be may sometime now? would those of you waiting, still want to wait?

Until there is a definite date of release I think people will still get them from overseas.

MissionMan
8th April 2010, 03:58 PM
Yep, the price fluctuation will be short lived,

What would happen if Apple suddenly announced iPad sales in Australia will be may sometime now? would those of you waiting, still want to wait?

Until there is a definite date of release I think people will still get them from overseas.

Yup, because there still isn't a 3G model :p

lukemc
8th April 2010, 04:24 PM
I've been playing on mine for a few minutes now, loving safari on it, cant believe how quick it is and how easy it is to type on the keyboard. Im extremely happy with it.

tymez
8th April 2010, 04:30 PM
Mine's here, now I just need a way to leave work early!

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5312/ipade.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/ipade.jpg/)

Jinkst
8th April 2010, 05:06 PM
Bought a 64GB off eBay today for $850US with postage, so about $920. Should arrive late next week. As long as the Aussie price isn't less than $900AUD then I'm fine with my decision. An extra $50 or so is bugger all :-) Can't wait for it to arrive!

time4magik
9th April 2010, 10:10 PM
DAMMIT I WANT ON NOW!!!!!!

NathR32
9th April 2010, 10:17 PM
DAMMIT I WANT ON NOW!!!!!!

on what?

ianpgonzaga
10th April 2010, 08:27 AM
LOL @ above post

wow Jinkst what seller did you use for that price? most of the 64GB i've seen are going for 1000+