PDA

View Full Version : Australian Ipad Launch Delayed due to problems?

mitty
7th April 2010, 12:47 PM
Two stories on this:

Fears iPad sales rush could delay Australian launch - Business news, business advice and information for Australian SMEs | SmartCompany (http://www.smartcompany.com.au/information-technology/20100407-fears-ipad-sales-rush-could-delay-australian-launch.html)

Oz iPad Launch May Be Delayed Because Of Problems - Channel News (http://www.channelnews.com.au/Hardware/Mobility/D2B7A3C4)

tcn33
7th April 2010, 12:53 PM
By David Richards
There's your problem. Zero credibility.

kyte
7th April 2010, 12:54 PM
oh dear. Maybe waiting for revision 2 *is* a good idea after all.

gehenna
7th April 2010, 12:56 PM
Surely they would have delayed the US launch as well then? Seems a load of codswallop to me

jack112006
7th April 2010, 12:57 PM
Supply is defiantly not an issue. Basically all outlets in the US still have plenty of stock. And it seems that all the issues so far are firmware related. If Apple put out 3.2.1, that would solve most issues. I am still pretty confident that I will be lining up on the 24th :)

OziMac
Ugh - after Gene Munster's very public smackdown, I can't see how an analyst's predictions of shortages (which common experience of plentiful stock seems to go against) is likely or even newsworthy.

The WiFi issue is a legitimate Rev A concern, but nothing unexpected - I doubt they would delay further units on this basis without trying to fix it through a software update first. I don't think a source at an Apple Store would know so either, given they are never informed of any real decisions until they are publicly announced.

That said, Apple's delivery dates do slip, and it's entirely possible that we may not get the iPad by April - but I doubt it would be for the reasons (or conclusions) stated in these articles.

mitty
There's your problem. Zero credibility.

Yeah, I figured since I'd never heard of the sites involved that they may not be completely credible.

Though all these wifi reports and also the low memory and temperature issues are concerning. Be interesting to see if any of our Mactalk ipads that Anthony brought back have issues.

El Guardo
7th April 2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe waiting for revision 2 *is* a good idea after all.

Never. Buy. Version. One.

gehenna
7th April 2010, 01:20 PM
Never. Buy. Version. One.

What are you talking about?! Always buy version one, that way you can appreciate the changes in version two even more!

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah! I always buy version one, keeps you on your toes! lol

Minkey
7th April 2010, 01:35 PM
What a HACK. I' quitting my job an becoming a writer if that's all it takes:

“Apple executives are concerned that a rush to deliver units from manufacturers in Asia to meet the US deadline may have resulted in quality issues with several units. This could cost Apple millions of dollars say analysts.” What executives? What is you source? Who did you speak to?

Last night Apple added a help page to their website in an effort to reduce inbound calls to their call centres that are believed to "swamped" with irate callers."How do you know this was a response to call center demand, how do you know that the help page wasn’t already planned, did you ask Apple, what did they say?

An Apple store source said "Issues with the US iPad's have been discussed at Apple Australia and there are concerns. I cannot comment any further". When asked whether the Australian launch could be delayed they said "Could be but I have no knowledge of management's plans at this stage". Credibility? Anyone who follows tech know that Apple store staff are not told a thing, until they need to know.

There is not ONE sourced quote that remotly back up the headline that the iPad Launch may be delayed. Nothing. A store staff member says: "Could be..." then states they "no knowledge". the entire story is based on that. holy crap.

Lutze
7th April 2010, 01:37 PM
My version 1 iPhone was fantastic.

Version 2 is ALWAYS better, but V1 gets you in at the first step of the revolution... otherwise you are just a tag-a-long that jumps on the bandwagon ;)

Rust
7th April 2010, 01:52 PM
Supply is defiantly not an issue. Basically all outlets in the US still have plenty of stock. And it seems that all the issues so far are firmware related. If Apple put out 3.2.1, that would solve most issues. I am still pretty confident that I will be lining up on the 24th :)

Me 2 bro :)

Soooo...who here from Mactalk is going to the Apple store in Sydney on launch? We should meet up :)

El Guardo
7th April 2010, 01:55 PM
What a HACK. I' quitting my job an becoming a writer if that's all it takes.

No need to quit your job. Just move in to your parents basement, get yourself a dial up modem, and register a company with the word 'group' in the name despite you being the only real employee:

The Enderle Group. (I'm not giving it link juice)

Make sure you score one of those awesome logos from the likes of LogoMaid - they cost about as much as a happy meal. Then, to appear credible, create a website using MS Frontpage and add your accountant's name and that of your PR hack to your 'group' profiles, along with your wife.

WindowsVista
7th April 2010, 02:16 PM

Soooo...who here from Mactalk is going to the Apple store in Sydney on launch? We should meet up :)

I plan to be towards the front of the line if it's the 24th. I.e 1st,2nd or 3rd:laughing: at the Sydney store that is.

Keving
7th April 2010, 02:18 PM
Can't decide if I'll be at Chermside or Robina - Eitherway my iPad will be here tomorrow so im only after more!!

Rust
7th April 2010, 02:33 PM
I plan to be towards the front of the line if it's the 24th. I.e 1st,2nd or 3rd:laughing: at the Sydney store that is.

Cool i'll see you there :)

bennettnz
7th April 2010, 04:28 PM
Same source told us a few weeks ago that we wouldn't see the iPad until June due to manufacturing problems. Utter rubbish. They don't know anything more than we do. Reporters these days just read a few web headlines and create some fiction to fill in the gaps. Grain of salt anyone?

LithgowLights
7th April 2010, 06:44 PM

Me, but if it's Saturday I wont be there till about 10am or so. Friday, sunday or Monday and 6am is looking ok

Maybe we can all go for a walk & have lunch somewhere on Saturday... Be really good if we could organise somewhere to give the iPads a 30 min charge first - anyone live close ? :)

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 06:56 PM
My iPad came with 86% charge so yup should be ok without charging until you get home.

iJohny
7th April 2010, 07:03 PM
I don't believe there will be a delay I read an article saying Apple stores in the US are getting two iPad deliveries a day which make me think Apple has plenty of stock which means international release shouldn't be delayed in my opinion.

snark
7th April 2010, 07:11 PM
Version 2 is ALWAYS better, but V1 gets you in at the first step of the revolution... otherwise you are just a tag-a-long that jumps on the bandwagon ;)

Yeah, but at least we know we'll be jumping on the right bandwagon.

*cough* Segway *cough*

LithgowLights
7th April 2010, 07:29 PM
My iPad came with 86% charge so yup should be ok without charging until you get home.

Cool. Then again it WILL be a 3hr trip home, and I'll need wireless to get some stuff for the trip (The Sydney Apple store is still a free hot spot isnt it?)

jack112006
7th April 2010, 07:50 PM
If its Friday 23, no iPad until Saturday for me :(. But if its the 24th, I will be lining up for it :)

WindowsVista
7th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Cool. Then again it WILL be a 3hr trip home, and I'll need wireless to get some stuff for the trip (The Sydney Apple store is still a free hot spot isnt it?)
Yes they do have free WiFi and are quite happy for anyone to use it.
If it's the 23rd I'll be there but not till after 9am. I have to perform at an ANZAC service at 8. FIngers crossed it is the 24th. I REALLY want to line up for this and experience it.

LithgowLights
7th April 2010, 08:00 PM
I REALLY want to line up for this and experience it.

Me too. I was lucky to have been in Melbourne for the opening of the Chadstone store. To be there on release day for a device would be way better. If it's the 24th, pray (To the almighty Apple God - I dont believe in the other one) the boss gives me the day off of I can get someone to come in at 5 for me so I can be there by 8ish

SLY
7th April 2010, 09:28 PM
oh dear. Maybe waiting for revision 2 *is* a good idea after all.

Why would anyone say that when it's just a bigger version of the iPod touch and iPhone... Why would there be any wifi issues, what a load of crap... I'll be lined up in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LithgowLights
8th April 2010, 09:06 AM
Why would anyone say that when it's just a bigger version of the iPod touch and iPhone... Why would there be any wifi issues, what a load of crap

It's totally new hardware, new case & new design, so there is a chance that something has gone wrong in the "real world" compared to engineering samples used in testing.

SLY
8th April 2010, 06:40 PM
It's totally new hardware, new case & new design, so there is a chance that something has gone wrong in the "real world" compared to engineering samples used in testing.

Im sure they did a million tests on the hardware, I dont think they are a back yard opperation that just set up business :p

Like I said, its just a big iPod touch...

snark
8th April 2010, 06:50 PM
Like I said, its just a big iPod touch...

Except with custom silicon inside (the A4 chip). And an updated operating system.

So, clearly, no chance then that anything could go wonky, even a little bit. :rolleyes:

Cybix
8th April 2010, 07:07 PM
No need to quit your job. Just move in to your parents basement, get yourself a dial up modem, and register a company with the word 'group' in the name despite you being the only real employee:

The Enderle Group. (I'm not giving it link juice)

Make sure you score one of those awesome logos from the likes of LogoMaid - they cost about as much as a happy meal. Then, to appear credible, create a website using MS Frontpage and add your accountant's name and that of your PR hack to your 'group' profiles, along with your wife.

awesome. showed my wife, we both laughed.

Cybix Group - launching soon lol

Cybix
8th April 2010, 07:08 PM
Where are the real-world examples of these so called wi-fi issues? probably a pack of competitors sitting in their mums basement thinking up ways to slow the sales of iPads. lol

SLY
8th April 2010, 10:49 PM
Where are the real-world examples of these so called wi-fi issues? probably a pack of competitors sitting in their mums basement thinking up ways to slow the sales of iPads. lol

I agree, haven't heard any issues from the local boys on here who have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbod
9th April 2010, 10:28 AM

Sadly, the issues are becoming well documented by unhappy iPad owners in the US: Apple - Support - Discussions - Weak wifi ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2387493)

I hope Apple resolve the issue(s) soon as it is a concern for a device so heavily dependant upon WiFi (and the fact I want to buy one too :))

I wonder if any of the early Oz adopters have experienced the WiFi issues?