PDA

View Full Version : Torrents and Clients

estoyloco
20th July 2004, 05:22 PM
Just wanted to know which clients people use for MAC OSX and what SITEs....

MODS if this post is not allowed please delete it.. thanks

otherwise please let me know!

Disko
20th July 2004, 05:33 PM
You can discuss clients all you like - if i see a link which goes to illegal content, then this thread is gone. :ph34r:

also - this is a software thread *moves*

estoyloco
20th July 2004, 05:47 PM
cool.. well dont send me any links people

i want to know how to make my PB open the 6881 thing - in english that mean it cant "listen" to that port or open it....
my system cant see it or open it ???

anyone know what i have to do??

Currawong
21st July 2004, 09:08 AM
You may need to forward the port in your modem/router if you're using such a thing for ADSL or cable.

elvis
21st July 2004, 04:08 PM
There is one and only one torrent client that is worth the time, IMHO.

Azureus:
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Binaries available for MacOSX, Linux and Windows. You need Java installed to run it, which is no problem in MacOSX (already installed out of the box). Linux and Windows users will need to visit http://java.sun.com and grab the latest Java update for their OS.

As mentioned, you need to forward ports 6881 to 6889 to the machine you are running the torrent client on. Either do this through the web interface of your router/firewall, or if you are connected directly to the web via your mac, simply open the ports 6881 through 6889 in your firewall (through System Preferences).

Torrent technology is possibly the best server-side, bandwithd-smart innovation this decade has seen. Especially when it comes to free/open source software, and it's distribution. Up til now, sites had to be donated bandwidth, or source their funds from donations and other methods. Torrent means that the higher the load, the more locations host the information. It's the perfect solution to mass frenzy downloads of new Linux and other free software downloads, especially when most of these software makers are giving away their goods gratis, and shouldn't have to also give up their own cash to host sites to give away their code!

elvis gives it his big rubber stamp of approval. :)

estoyloco
21st July 2004, 04:20 PM
thanks guys.. yeah i had AZARUS in the beginning and i figured it out when i was looking around SYSTEM prefs..

i went to sharing > Firewall> New and created one....

thanks heaps for ur responses tho!

ELVIS -> the structure of the system is awesome.... lots of respect to the creator..

Radar
21st July 2004, 04:22 PM
I use Tomato Torrent. It's small, basic, and does everything you need. I tried Azerus, but it seemed to complicated and bloated for my liking, so stuck with Tomato.

MightyAtom
21st July 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Radar@Jul 21 2004, 04:22 PM
I use Tomato Torrent. It's small, basic, and does everything you need. I tried Azerus, but it seemed to complicated and bloated for my liking, so stuck with Tomato.
Agreed, I gave Azerus a go but couldn't stand it, personally I think it's a horrible piece of software. Tomato Torrent is simple and easy to use and has worked flawlessly for me, I'll be sticking with it.

elvis
21st July 2004, 05:56 PM
I'm a control freak, and like to have 110% control over any app I run. The sheer number of tweakable options in Azureus is one of the reasons I like it so much.

But then again, I'm the kind of guy who spends 90% of his life in a terminal shell, rather than at the GUI. I can understand why some folk probably don't like Azureus' setup. :)

Cam
21st July 2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Jul 21 2004, 05:56 PM
But then again, I'm the kind of guy who spends 90% of his life in a terminal shell, rather than at the GUI. I can understand why some folk probably don't like Azureus' setup. :)
After all.. the Mac OS X Terminal is much more attractive than the GUI ;)

elvis
21st July 2004, 08:01 PM
Maybe not as attractive, but certainly faster if you only care about server-side stuff, and you know what you are doing. :P

Daz34
21st July 2004, 10:09 PM
What is this torrent stuff?
And whats meant by links to illegal content?
Are the torrent clients like P2P filesharing or something?
If you cant "nick" music and movies then how is it useful? :huh:

elvis
22nd July 2004, 04:19 AM
Torrent is a peer to peer technology that works a little smarter than most. Firstly, it allows segmentation of files, and for these segments to be uploaded separately. The value there is that a user doesn't need to have the entire file downloaded in order to contribute more.

Secondly, torrent networks force people to share. If your upload rate is capped, so is your download. This stops the "leeching" phenomenon that most other networks are guilty of. People can't get the files they need without contributing to others getting the same files.

Thirdly, all files on bittorrent networks are checked against their hash (a mathematically generated "key" to identify a binary file). The advantage there is that files can't be currupted by the network (or a single stray user). Secondarily, if 9 users are all sharing a file, and a tenth joins with a file of the same name but different contents, it doesn't destroy the pool thanks to the file-checking.

And finally, the biggest advantage to torrent technology is the simple design whereby the more people sharing a file, the more bandwidth is generated by the sharing. This works well because any file that is in high demand will also have high availability. Low demand files will have low availability. What's great about that is if some website releases a file that's in high demand, their servers don't get hammered while the whole world tries to grab that file. Better yet, torrent clients will always try to communicate with other torrent clients that are physically closer (by number of hops on a trace). Again, this reduces worldwide load on internet routers significantly.

There's a good graphic to explain how it works here:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html

A good example was the UT2003 demo, a few years back. Web traffic for the whole first week of that file becoming available was pure hell. Had they released it via torrent, the torrent network would have self-balanced the demand for the file, and all would be well.

Anything can be distributed via torrent. Game patches and demos, file updates and security patches, etc. For me personally, I grab all of my linux distros from torrents now. It means that I'm not adding to the hammering of my favourite distro's website (the Debian folk aren't rich, you know) as well as the fact that by simply sharing my torrent downloads, I am helping out by contributing bandwidth to fellow Australians who wan to download the same software.

There is far more to file sharing than stealing music and movies. To be honest, P2P technology has had it's reputation, and concurrently the public's understanding of it's usefulness completely destroyed by stupid pirates and leechers. P2P was designed as an altruistic concept to help businesses and individual users alike distribute information without the need for a (sometimes expensive) third-party solution like web hosting, FTP servers, etc. Unfortunately it's been utterly wasted on the selfish and mindless masses, like most good technologies in this world. :angry:

titan44
22nd July 2004, 11:17 AM
I use Azreus, i was after just a simple client, but now use alot of it's features, IP blocklists is a BIG plus.

elvis
22nd July 2004, 02:55 PM
Heh... I do my IP blocking at the firewall where it belongs. :)

Currawong
23rd July 2004, 09:42 AM
Azureus is horrid....it's a massively slow, memory-leaking piece of crap. Mind you, so was Limewire for Gnutella, until someone re-coded it into Acquisition, which is a lovely app.

I just use the Bittorrent program...works fine and has all the important features.

elvis
24th July 2004, 07:16 PM
I don't think you can blame the memory leaks on Azureus. I would probably pin them on the underlying Java machine rather than the Azureus code itself.

kim jong il
31st July 2004, 12:16 PM
Used BitTorrent, Tomato Torrent and now Azureus. Azureus is the pick of the bunch for me. I was not convinced at first (and the hideous GUI doesn't help). To use Azureus effectively takes a bit of research however (did for me anyway). The downside is that Azureus is a resource hog. If you are on a low-end mac you will not be able to use your machine, in any meaningful way, while it is active for anything else. My solution is to abandon one machine to deal with Azureus although many people do not have the luxury of multiple machines so this will not be for everyone. If you have one low-end mac use the standard BT client or Tomato torrent.

kim

elvis
31st July 2004, 11:09 PM
Using Azureus on a iMac 333 with 256MB RAM here, without too many dramas.

And I'm still not able to understand the issue everyone has with the GUI. There are certainly tonnes of options, but that's a good thing (or at least I think so when it comes to something as tweakable as torrent technology).

For instance, I have Azureus monitor a folder on my system and check for any new .torrent file found in it every 5 minutes. New torrents are then started. I can save .torrent files from any machine in my house (windows/linux too) to my Mac and even from machines at work over VPN tunnels!

Then, and torrents that are completed get moved to a separate folder, so I'm not constantly searching for what has finished and what can be accessed.

Azureus is feature packed. If you only use it for one file a month, then it certainly isn't your cup of tea. I personally get a great deal of my open source software via torrents (for myself aswell as clients), and as such the vast array of features are increadibly useful.

But then again, as I keep saying I've used GUIs and non-GUIs that are far more hideous in my time (anyone here use nessus? :) ). Azureus is a walk in the park after some of the more complex UNIX stuff out there. :)

DJY
30th April 2005, 09:59 AM
I have been using Bit Torrent - but now it isn't compatible with Tiger... I tried Azureus... but keep getting NAT error????

Tomato seems very simple... and would love to sort out this NAT error.
I am on a PB, via an Airport Express, to a NETCOMM 1300 + 4.

Tried working out the FAQ, and help pages but couldn't find a simple english list of directions that made sense! Can anyone help me out? It seems Bit Torrent worked fine - and I generally got rate speeds (I'm in 1500-256) but Azureus doesn't seem to like my setup?!

Tried playing with sessions, and IP address in the modem / router one line setup page... to no avail. I have Port Forwarding already done.

Appreciate any assistance.

aswitcher
30th April 2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by DJY@Apr 30 2005, 09:59 AM
I have been using Bit Torrent - but now it isn't compatible with Tiger... I tried Azureus... but keep getting NAT error????

Tomato seems very simple... and would love to sort out this NAT error.
I am on a PB, via an Airport Express, to a NETCOMM 1300 + 4.

Tried working out the FAQ, and help pages but couldn't find a simple english list of directions that made sense! Can anyone help me out? It seems Bit Torrent worked fine - and I generally got rate speeds (I'm in 1500-256) but Azureus doesn't seem to like my setup?!

Tried playing with sessions, and IP address in the modem / router one line setup page... to no avail. I have Port Forwarding already done.

Appreciate any assistance.
Tomato works fine and is less memory intensive. Play with the options once a download starts and you'll see you have a fair bit of power to control downloads and uploads etc. I wish Apple would put all their new HD stuff on torents to improve speeds getting them.

bender
30th April 2005, 10:07 AM
I don't see what's wrong with the official BitTorrent client for Mac. It's been reworked from v3 and now looks and works a hell of a lot better. I can't stand Azureus, makes my machine crawl and has the ability to freeze without warning at the worst possible time.

Also interested in the BitsOnWheels (http://bitsonwheels.com/) project...the 3d swarm thing is kinda neat. Still in development though, so has the inability to connect to some trackers..

queraxus
30th April 2005, 11:17 AM
I agree - Bits on wheels is excellent

http://www.bitsonwheels.com/

DJY
30th April 2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by queraxus@Apr 30 2005, 11:17 AM
I agree - Bits on wheels is excellent

http://www.bitsonwheels.com/

I was disappointed to see Bit Torrent didn't.
Seems this one works fine in Tiger.... and I it seems I'm not having the NAT / speed problems I encountered with Azureus either!

Thanks for the link!

queraxus
30th April 2005, 03:46 PM
Its native, not Java based.

DJY
30th April 2005, 03:54 PM
Well Bits on Wheels does seem to be working - but the download speeds are no where near what I"m used to! I've had a quick look over at their Forums / Support pages to no avail. At least it is working I guess - but speeds hover between 4- 15 with a max occasionally of 30....
(I'm on 1500/256).

mrbolano
12th May 2005, 02:16 PM
Azareus has always worked great for me! Leave it on overnight and wake up to enjoy whatever I've selected - no worries, no fuss.

Pity I can't keep up the share ratio and all the good sites keep booting me off. And those invites are freakin hard to get!

Graham
12th May 2005, 02:38 PM
I use the standard BitTorrent client which works fine for my one file per week. I've also used it for http://2005.sxsw.com/geekout/fest4pod/ which is a free and legal download of 750 MP3s from bands playing at a recent festival in the US. At 2.6GB it's the perfect method of distribution for this technology.

DJY
12th May 2005, 05:50 PM
I"m back with BitTorrent after they updated it for Tiger.
Much better speeds.

eni
12th May 2005, 06:49 PM
I use the official BitTorrent client on my powerbook and Azureus on my old PC (turned media server). I have an Azureus add-on that lets me configure it from the browser on my powerbook.

Torrents get saved in the shared folder that is always accessible. With a powerbook I've found torrents impossible (always is put to sleep, moved or it simply gets way too hot with that kind of disk activity!). I don't like to leech off communities so that's another strike against using my powerbook. Eg right now I'm downloading a fan made starwars film being distributed by the makers on torrents. (Ah the joy of random google searches and blogs to find stuff you didn't know you wanted). I wouldn't want and leech and run with that so my PCs downloading it right now. Afterwards I'll use Toast to burn it to dvd on my powerbook over wireless.

I have to say - I love Toast (the burning software, not the food). Being able to burn dvds on my powerbook streamed wirelessly from my PC saves me so many headaches. Especially when I recently backed up and wiped my PC (was so full of junk it was ridiculous).

mvjs
12th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Personally I use Blog Torrent for all my Bit Torrent needs, its easy simple and does what I need :)

the_OM
12th July 2005, 10:43 PM
I'm an azureus fan myself.
The options are awesome in it, and it works for me.

Squozen
13th July 2005, 09:21 PM
I use bittornado and peerguardnf on my gateway box. curses interface for teh win~

patcanuck
12th March 2006, 08:38 AM
I would still argue that for a completely new beginner that Transmission is the go. It just doesnt come any simpler or cleaner. Once you have got the hang of torrents and upload/download speeds then start to play around with Azureus and plug-ins like Speed Scheduler and Safe Peer. As far as portforwarding goes I've never done it but simply went into Azureus prefs and re-set the port to 16881 (could just as easily have chosen 46881). :)

McMullet
12th March 2006, 08:51 AM
Transmission is by far the cleanest and easiest to use client. I don't need any fancy feature or plugins. Transmission is fast and is not a resource hog.

Transmission for PM! :ph34r:

grorr76
12th March 2006, 08:51 AM
transmissions by far the fastest client and ive sampled them all.

Al Aero
12th March 2006, 09:35 AM
Another vote for Transmission..

love it

al

mergatroid
12th March 2006, 10:16 AM
Its true... Transmission is very rad :ph34r:

mwidjaya
12th March 2006, 11:18 PM
Transmission is a very good simple client but after using Azureus for a long time, I just can't get used to Transmission's lack of finer controls over many torrents at same time.

natakim
13th March 2006, 06:48 AM
Azureus all the way. tried tomato torrent to limited success, and the original bittorrent for quite a while before moving over to azureus. now i'd never go back. for those who are with optus or any isp that splits the day into peak and offpeak times, things like speed scheduler are a must. though i would admit that half of azureus' features are never used, they do provide things to play with (betterr to say tweak) great time fillers.

nateb
13th March 2006, 09:42 AM
whats a torrent?
sorry for my lack of knowing what it is?
thanks.