PDA

View Full Version : iPad pilgramidge makes The Age newspaper

Mafesto
7th April 2010, 07:56 AM
Well done again boys, you made world news on TWiT and now AP through the Age. Props for your massive efforts! :thumbup:

Ipad the hottest gadget in town | Herald Sun (http://bit.ly/bCJpcV)

Ipad the hottest gadget in town

Finally here: Jonathan Wrigley with one of the first ipad's in Melbourne. Picture: Ian Currie Source: Herald Sun

JONATHAN Wrigley is the proud owner of one of Melbourne's first iPads.

More than three weeks before the Australian launch of the hottest gadget on the planet, the Carlton computer store owner paid more than $1000 to have one brought back from the US by a pair of Australian Apple devotees.

Anthony Agius and Peter Wells returned to Melbourne from New York yesterday with 19 iPads picked up during a swoop on the Big Apple, where they retail from $US500 upwards.

Is the iPad a game changer? Have your say below

The pair took orders from Australians eager to get their hands on Apple's tablet PC, before lining up with hundreds of Americans outside four of the company's stores during the weekend launch.

Mr Wrigley was excited to get his very own iPad yesterday after meeting Mr Agius at Melbourne airport.

"It's the first opportunity that anyone's had to get an idea of it," he said.

"It's a little bit heavier than I was expecting, but that's good because it does feel a little more substantial and a lot more solid as a result.

"If it felt thinner and lighter you would be a lot more worried about breaking it."

Once it was out of the box and up and running, a clearly mesmerised Mr Wrigley had no regrets.

"I'm loving it so far," he said of the cross between a laptop computer and mobile phone.

Mr Agius, the editor of an Apple Mac-oriented website, came up with the idea of flying to the US to bring back as many iPads as he could get his hands on.

He took orders from Apple fans, but insists the trip wasn't a money-making venture, with each customer chipping in just an extra $100 to help cover travel expenses.

"As soon as Apple said it would be out first in America before Australia, that's when I knew I had to get to America to get one early," he said.

Limited to purchasing no more than two iPads per store, Mr Agius took friend and fellow Apple fan Mr Wells with him to maximise their haul.

"It just sounded so crazy I had to be a part of it, so I agreed to come along," Mr Wells said.

Mr Agius said it felt strange setting foot back in Melbourne with such coveted gear.

"It's a bit weird thinking not many people in Australia have one," he said.

uncyherb
7th April 2010, 09:44 AM
Um.... The Age, and the Herald Sun, are two VERY different outlets.

Mafesto
7th April 2010, 10:14 AM
Um.... The Age, and the Herald Sun, are two VERY different outlets.

was in both papers online

JWrigley
7th April 2010, 08:55 PM
Weeeee! I am famous :)

Big thanks to Anthony for going on his crazy quest and bringing them back!

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 09:01 PM
Might bring your shop some extra business :)